Errors In Multi-User Database When Performing Similar Actions
Author Message
 Errors In Multi-User Database When Performing Similar Actions

I have a database that runs on a network in a multi-user environment.
There is a front end database which connects to various "data only"
databases through the use of linked tables.  When I open a form I use
SQL statement to specify the RecordSource.  I also typically run code
which opens recordsets using the linked tables, such as:

    Set dbCurrent = CurrentDb
    Set rsUserPermissions = dbCurrent.OpenRecordset(strUserPermissions,
dbOpenDynaset)

However, if 2 users try to open the form simultaneously, then a run-time
error occurs.  It's as if it is locking out additional users.  I don't
know if I need to modify the above code somehow or not.  Any simple
ideas on this ?

Thanks.

Rodney M. Gabriel

Mon, 06 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Errors In Multi-User Database When Performing Similar Actions
Quote:
>>Rodney M. Gabriel
>>However, if 2 users try to open the form simultaneously, then a run-time

error occurs.  It's as if it is locking out additional users.  I don't
know if I need to modify the above code somehow or not.  Any simple
ideas on this ?<<

The first alarm that goes off in my head is that anytime a user opens a
form, that are not opening the live form, but instead a copy of the form.
The user never gets the live object. (This can be proved by User A opening
the form, then making a change.  Then User B open the form, make a change,
then save the form.  Then when User a trys to save their change, the message
will trigger that another user has modified the object while User A was
modifying. Try it.)

The data on the other hand may cause some type of locking error.  If you've
set the forms Record Locks property to anything but the default, then this
may occur.  Read up on the locking schemes in the help file.

It also appears that you've implemented Access' User Level Security, but
that should have no effect on sharing of the data.

--
Steve Clark (Aspiring MS MVP)
FMS, Inc.

Tue, 07 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Single-user errors on multi-user apps

2. One Control Button Click to Perform Various Actions

3. Performing actions on a list of words

4. Save and perform some action

5. Button Control, action similar to that of Scrollbar Button example needed

6. Performing 'action queries' from VB6

7. Help with Performing Action Queries

8. Need Help Please - Performing same action on multiple controls

9. Need Script to Perform Device Manager Action on Startup

10. perform action on tab

11. Performing actions on background child forms

12. Q: Performing actions on other Network machines???