"Invalid use of null" error
Author Message
 "Invalid use of null" error

I'm not a vb programmer, but am adapting some preexisting code to link an
Access table with word document form fields.  The code runs smoothly, and
places the data into the fields, but crashes when it encounters a blank
field in the Access table.  I think the original author might have left out
something to take blank fields into account.

What code can I add to help the sub deal with blank fields in the table?
***error below

Nick

    'If the answer equals 6, it means they clicked Yes on the MsgBox
accepting this match
    If vCorrectRecord = 6 Then
        'if yes...set variables from DB fields (the name variables are
already set above)
        vFCELevel = vRecordSet("FCELevel")
        vSocial_Security_# = vRecordSet("Social_Security_#")
        vDateOfInjury = vRecordSet("DateOfInjury")
        vDxCode1 = vRecordSet("DxCode1")

        ... (lots of other fields)

        vRefRes8 = vRecordSet("RefRes8")
        vDate_of_birth = vRecordSet("Date_of_birth")
        vGender = vRecordSet("Gender")

***Error happens if first line below***

        'set the form field's bookmarks to the results from the database
field variables
        ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyInitial").Result = vFCELevel
        ActiveDocument.FormFields("MySSno").Result = vSocial_Security_#
        ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyDOI").Result = vDateOfInjury
        ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyDx1").Result = vDxCode1

        ... (lots of other fields)

        ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyRefRes8").Result = vRefRes8
        ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyAge").Result = vDate_of_birth
        ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyGender").Result = vGender

    Else
        'if not 6, then not Yes, so must be NO...remind user to update
database!
        MsgBox "Since this is not the correct entry..." & Chr(13) & _
          "be sure to fill out remaining form fields and click *Update* " &
Chr(13) & _
          "so this person will be added to the database."
    End If

      'close objects
      vRecordSet.Close
      vConnection.Close

      'clear object to free up memory
      Set vRecordSet = Nothing
      Set vConnection = Nothing

End Sub

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:37:44 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error

Quote:
> ***Error happens if first line below***

>         ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyInitial").Result = vFCELevel

Use the Nz function, to catch NULL entries and convert them into something
useful like "" or 0, etc.

By the way, there is really no need to pass the values through the variant
variable on the way: you can simply do

  ActiveDocument.Formfields("MyInitial").Result = vRecordset!FCELevel
  ActiveDocument.Formfields("MySSNo").Result = _
         vRecordset![Social_Security_#]

  etc. etc

By the way, using the box character will bite you one day... <g>

I am also wondering if the the "v" in vRecordset means that it's a variant
holding an object, in which case I'd be very keen to change it to a proper
DAO or ADODB recordset.

HTH

Tim F

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 08:45:42 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error
Tim,

Thanks for the helpful reply.  Would you mind showing me how I might
implement the nz function?  I really have very little vb knowledge.  I've
written the database and forms for my business and often get in a bit over
my head.

Nick

Quote:

> > ***Error happens if first line below***

> >         ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyInitial").Result = vFCELevel

> Use the Nz function, to catch NULL entries and convert them into something
> useful like "" or 0, etc.

> By the way, there is really no need to pass the values through the variant
> variable on the way: you can simply do

>   ActiveDocument.Formfields("MyInitial").Result = vRecordset!FCELevel
>   ActiveDocument.Formfields("MySSNo").Result = _
>          vRecordset![Social_Security_#]

>   etc. etc

> By the way, using the box character will bite you one day... <g>

> I am also wondering if the the "v" in vRecordset means that it's a variant
> holding an object, in which case I'd be very keen to change it to a proper
> DAO or ADODB recordset.

> HTH

> Tim F

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:05:33 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error
Nick:

Without knowing the data types of your variables,  we have to guess a
little.

Something like:
  vDxCode1 = vRecordSet("DxCode1")

Would be changed to:
  vDxCode1 = Nz(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

What that does is store the zero-length string in vDxCode1 if the
DxCode1 field is Null.  The reason for this is that String (Text)
*fields* can be Null,  but String *variables* cannot be.

-Matt

Quote:
>Tim,

>Thanks for the helpful reply.  Would you mind showing me how I might
>implement the nz function?  I really have very little vb knowledge.  I've
>written the database and forms for my business and often get in a bit over
>my head.

>Nick

>> > ***Error happens if first line below***

>> >         ActiveDocument.FormFields("MyInitial").Result = vFCELevel

>> Use the Nz function, to catch NULL entries and convert them into something
>> useful like "" or 0, etc.

>> By the way, there is really no need to pass the values through the variant
>> variable on the way: you can simply do

>>   ActiveDocument.Formfields("MyInitial").Result = vRecordset!FCELevel
>>   ActiveDocument.Formfields("MySSNo").Result = _
>>          vRecordset![Social_Security_#]

>>   etc. etc

>> By the way, using the box character will bite you one day... <g>

>> I am also wondering if the the "v" in vRecordset means that it's a variant
>> holding an object, in which case I'd be very keen to change it to a proper
>> DAO or ADODB recordset.

>> HTH

>> Tim F

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:40:00 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error
Matt,

I get "Sub of Function not defined"  regarding Nz.  Do I need to declare
something prior?  Thanks.

Nick

Quote:
> Nick:

> Without knowing the data types of your variables,  we have to guess a
> little.

> Something like:
>   vDxCode1 = vRecordSet("DxCode1")

> Would be changed to:
>   vDxCode1 = Nz(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

> What that does is store the zero-length string in vDxCode1 if the
> DxCode1 field is Null.  The reason for this is that String (Text)
> *fields* can be Null,  but String *variables* cannot be.

> -Matt

> >Tim,

> >Thanks for the helpful reply.  Would you mind showing me how I might
> >implement the nz function?  I really have very little vb knowledge.  I've
> >written the database and forms for my business and often get in a bit
over
> >my head.

> >Nick

> >> Use the Nz function, to catch NULL entries and convert them into
something
> >> useful like "" or 0, etc.

> >> By the way, there is really no need to pass the values through the
variant
> >> variable on the way: you can simply do

> >>   ActiveDocument.Formfields("MyInitial").Result = vRecordset!FCELevel
> >>   ActiveDocument.Formfields("MySSNo").Result = _
> >>          vRecordset![Social_Security_#]

> >>   etc. etc

> >> By the way, using the box character will bite you one day... <g>

> >> I am also wondering if the the "v" in vRecordset means that it's a
variant
> >> holding an object, in which case I'd be very keen to change it to a
proper
> >> DAO or ADODB recordset.

> >> HTH

> >> Tim F

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:27:11 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error
Hi Nick,

Recent versions of Access have a Null to Zero (Nz) function as an in-built
function.  If you are using an earlier version, you may need to define your
own by creating a module in Access.  Here is the code that you need for it:

Function NZ(i)
    On Error GoTo Err_NZ

    If IsNull(i) Then
        NZ = 0
    Else
        NZ = i
    End If
Exit_NZ:
    Exit Function

Err_NZ:
    NZ = 0
    Resume Exit_NZ

End Function

Please respond to the newsgroups for the benefit of others who may be
interested.

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Quote:
> Matt,

> I get "Sub of Function not defined"  regarding Nz.  Do I need to declare
> something prior?  Thanks.

> Nick

> > Nick:

> > Without knowing the data types of your variables,  we have to guess a
> > little.

> > Something like:
> >   vDxCode1 = vRecordSet("DxCode1")

> > Would be changed to:
> >   vDxCode1 = Nz(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

> > What that does is store the zero-length string in vDxCode1 if the
> > DxCode1 field is Null.  The reason for this is that String (Text)
> > *fields* can be Null,  but String *variables* cannot be.

> > -Matt

> > >Tim,

> > >Thanks for the helpful reply.  Would you mind showing me how I might
> > >implement the nz function?  I really have very little vb knowledge.
I've
> > >written the database and forms for my business and often get in a bit
> over
> > >my head.

> > >Nick

> something

> variant

> variant
> proper

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:32:07 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error
Thank you Doug.  I pasted the function before all code and tried saving it
as a separate module.  This is a sample line using NZ:

vDxCode1 = NZ(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

When I compile, I get this error:  "Wrong number of arguements of invalid
property assignment," with the NZ being highlighted.  Should the line be
written differently?

Nick

Quote:
> Hi Nick,

> Recent versions of Access have a Null to Zero (Nz) function as an in-built
> function.  If you are using an earlier version, you may need to define
your
> own by creating a module in Access.  Here is the code that you need for
it:

> Function NZ(i)
>     On Error GoTo Err_NZ

>     If IsNull(i) Then
>         NZ = 0
>     Else
>         NZ = i
>     End If
> Exit_NZ:
>     Exit Function

> Err_NZ:
>     NZ = 0
>     Resume Exit_NZ

> End Function

> Please respond to the newsgroups for the benefit of others who may be
> interested.

> Hope this helps
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP

> > Matt,

> > I get "Sub of Function not defined"  regarding Nz.  Do I need to declare
> > something prior?  Thanks.

> > Nick

> > > Nick:

> > > Without knowing the data types of your variables,  we have to guess a
> > > little.

> > > Something like:
> > >   vDxCode1 = vRecordSet("DxCode1")

> > > Would be changed to:
> > >   vDxCode1 = Nz(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

> > > What that does is store the zero-length string in vDxCode1 if the
> > > DxCode1 field is Null.  The reason for this is that String (Text)
> > > *fields* can be Null,  but String *variables* cannot be.

> > > -Matt

> I've
> > over

> > something

> > variant

vRecordset!FCELevel

> > variant
> > proper

Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:47:35 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error
NZ function as countered ni previous message and
adopted by you takes one argument, where as you
are inputting two arguments.

If y're using Access 2K, you can use the built in NZ function
which (indeed) takes 2 arguments:
- Field to evaluate
- Value to return if NULL
In such case, delete the previously forwarded function from yr codemodule
and use the builtin one instead.

If not, use Doug's function but enter one argument to the function
and y're set.

Krgrds,
Perry

Quote:
> Thank you Doug.  I pasted the function before all code and tried saving it
> as a separate module.  This is a sample line using NZ:

> vDxCode1 = NZ(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

> When I compile, I get this error:  "Wrong number of arguements of invalid
> property assignment," with the NZ being highlighted.  Should the line be
> written differently?

> Nick

> > Hi Nick,

> > Recent versions of Access have a Null to Zero (Nz) function as an
in-built
> > function.  If you are using an earlier version, you may need to define
> your
> > own by creating a module in Access.  Here is the code that you need for
> it:

> > Function NZ(i)
> >     On Error GoTo Err_NZ

> >     If IsNull(i) Then
> >         NZ = 0
> >     Else
> >         NZ = i
> >     End If
> > Exit_NZ:
> >     Exit Function

> > Err_NZ:
> >     NZ = 0
> >     Resume Exit_NZ

> > End Function

> > Please respond to the newsgroups for the benefit of others who may be
> > interested.

> > Hope this helps
> > Doug Robbins - Word MVP

> > > Matt,

> > > I get "Sub of Function not defined"  regarding Nz.  Do I need to
declare
> > > something prior?  Thanks.

> > > Nick

> > I've
> > > over

vFCELevel

> > > something

> > > variant

> vRecordset!FCELevel

> > > variant
> > > proper

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 05:23:22 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error
Hi Perry,

In Access 2K and later, the valueifnull is optional (unless used in a
query).   The purpose of the argument is to enable you to return a value
other than zero or a zero-length string.
If you use the Nz function in an expression in a query without using the
valueifnull argument, the results will be a zero-length string in the fields
that contain null values.

That is exactly the same as using:

vDxCode1 = NZ(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

Please respond to the newsgroups for the benefit of others who may be
interested.

Hope this helps
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Quote:
> NZ function as countered ni previous message and
> adopted by you takes one argument, where as you
> are inputting two arguments.

> If y're using Access 2K, you can use the built in NZ function
> which (indeed) takes 2 arguments:
> - Field to evaluate
> - Value to return if NULL
> In such case, delete the previously forwarded function from yr codemodule
> and use the builtin one instead.

> If not, use Doug's function but enter one argument to the function
> and y're set.

> Krgrds,
> Perry

> > Thank you Doug.  I pasted the function before all code and tried saving
it
> > as a separate module.  This is a sample line using NZ:

> > vDxCode1 = NZ(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

> > When I compile, I get this error:  "Wrong number of arguements of
invalid
> > property assignment," with the NZ being highlighted.  Should the line be
> > written differently?

> > Nick

> > > Hi Nick,

> > > Recent versions of Access have a Null to Zero (Nz) function as an
> in-built
> > > function.  If you are using an earlier version, you may need to define
> > your
> > > own by creating a module in Access.  Here is the code that you need
for
> > it:

> > > Function NZ(i)
> > >     On Error GoTo Err_NZ

> > >     If IsNull(i) Then
> > >         NZ = 0
> > >     Else
> > >         NZ = i
> > >     End If
> > > Exit_NZ:
> > >     Exit Function

> > > Err_NZ:
> > >     NZ = 0
> > >     Resume Exit_NZ

> > > End Function

> > > Please respond to the newsgroups for the benefit of others who may be
> > > interested.

> > > Hope this helps
> > > Doug Robbins - Word MVP

> declare

> might
> > > I've
> bit

> vFCELevel

> the

> > vRecordset!FCELevel

<g>

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 06:20:17 GMT
 "Invalid use of null" error
Y're right Doug

However, I always use the second argument to NZ
to be sure of field types. Never use the default "".

Krgrds,
Perry

Quote:
> Hi Perry,

> In Access 2K and later, the valueifnull is optional (unless used in a
> query).   The purpose of the argument is to enable you to return a value
> other than zero or a zero-length string.
> If you use the Nz function in an expression in a query without using the
> valueifnull argument, the results will be a zero-length string in the
fields
> that contain null values.

> That is exactly the same as using:

> vDxCode1 = NZ(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

> Please respond to the newsgroups for the benefit of others who may be
> interested.

> Hope this helps
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP

> > NZ function as countered ni previous message and
> > adopted by you takes one argument, where as you
> > are inputting two arguments.

> > If y're using Access 2K, you can use the built in NZ function
> > which (indeed) takes 2 arguments:
> > - Field to evaluate
> > - Value to return if NULL
> > In such case, delete the previously forwarded function from yr
codemodule
> > and use the builtin one instead.

> > If not, use Doug's function but enter one argument to the function
> > and y're set.

> > Krgrds,
> > Perry

> > > Thank you Doug.  I pasted the function before all code and tried
saving
> it
> > > as a separate module.  This is a sample line using NZ:

> > > vDxCode1 = NZ(vRecordSet("DxCode1"), "")

> > > When I compile, I get this error:  "Wrong number of arguements of
> invalid
> > > property assignment," with the NZ being highlighted.  Should the line
be
> > > written differently?

> > > Nick

> > in-built
> > > your
> for
> > > it:

> > declare

> guess

> > might
> knowledge.
> > bit

> > vFCELevel

> into

> > the

> > > vRecordset!FCELevel

> <g>

> it's

Sat, 03 Sep 2005 07:21:13 GMT

1. Correcting "Invalid use of Null"

2. "Invalid Use of Null"

3. "Invalid use of null"

4. "Invalid use of Null Pointer"

5. "Invalid Use of Null" mystery

6. "Invalid Argument" Error Message

7. Error msg "Invalid Field Data "

8. ERROR 3001 - "Invalid Argument"

9. Imagelist control gets "Invalid picture" error

10. Error "321" -- Invalid File Format

11. "Invalid File Format" Error

12. Invalid "wrong NT Version" error