Error 3197
Author Message
 Error 3197

There is a procedure in my database which compares values in the [Find]
field of, say Table1, with a field in Table2, inserting Table1.[Replace]
into the field in Table2 - if that field look anything like Table1.[Find].
It may replace the entire, or part of the field with Table1.[Replace].

Ever since I wrote this code, I have, on occasions, been getting error
#3197, something to the effect, "the record is being updated by more thn one
users", and I have implemented an error routine to trap the error. I am not
sure what to do with this error inside the error routine. Execution jumps
into the ER when it attempts an Edit method on the recordset. This is a
stand-alone database - there can be no other user. When I check the EditMode
property (inside the ER), it is 0, so CancelUpdate doesnt work (triggers
another error).

The error is probably triggered when validation rules are being enforced. On
the same records, the error doesnt always happen. Is anyone out there
familiar with this kind of behaviour? If there are any suggestions on how to
handle this error and resume execution, I'd greatly appreciate it. I am
using Access97.

Thank you.

Sat, 01 Oct 2005 07:59:05 GMT
 Error 3197
You will probably find that this occurs after you have
made a few changes to the datasheet before executing your
procedure.

Try having your procedure save the record before executing
the Find/Edit.

RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
... find and edit on tables

Then, after making changes in your procedure, have the
procedure Refresh the results displayed to the user.

... find and edit on tables
Forms!frmTheForm.Refresh

Let me know if this doesn't solve your issue.

David Atkins, MCP

Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:22:59 GMT

1. Error 3197?

2. Run-Time Error 3197 - please help its driving me insane

3. Puzzling Error - 3197 - Jet Stopped Process?

4. recordset.edit method won't work (error 3197)

5. Error - 3197 - Please help

6. Error 3197 on a stand_alone pc

7. Error 3197 using SQL server

8. Jet Engine Error 3197 without Edit