NewMail event does not occur during startup
Author Message
 NewMail event does not occur during startup

I have Outlook 2002 setup to receive email from 2 POP3
email accounts.  When new mail arrives a rule runs that
moves the new messages to different folders depending on
the account name.  This works great when Outlook is
already open and the automatic send/receive occurs at 3
minute intervals.  For some reason this does not work when
Outlook 2002 is first opened and I have new mail.  The new
mail is received but the rule does not run.  After further
investigation I have found that the Application_NewMail
event is not occuring.  Here is the order in which the
events occur during startup.  Application_Startup >
Application_MapiLogonComplete > The automatic Send/Receive
occurs > The New mail is received, but the
Apllication_NewMail does not occur, thus the rule does not
run.

Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:48:56 GMT
 NewMail event does not occur during startup

Quote:
> I have Outlook 2002 setup to receive email from 2 POP3
> email accounts.  When new mail arrives a rule runs that
> moves the new messages to different folders depending on
> the account name.  This works great when Outlook is
> already open and the automatic send/receive occurs at 3
> minute intervals.  For some reason this does not work when
> Outlook 2002 is first opened and I have new mail.  The new
> mail is received but the rule does not run.  After further
> investigation I have found that the Application_NewMail
> event is not occuring.  Here is the order in which the
> events occur during startup.  Application_Startup >
> Application_MapiLogonComplete > The automatic Send/Receive
> occurs > The New mail is received, but the
> Apllication_NewMail does not occur, thus the rule does not
> run.

Hiya Greg (and all you others suffering this affliction)

I've just recently (last day or so) joined this group and noticed this
thread (amongst others) and I too am annoyed with this behaviour in Outlook
(I'm sure I remember the same thing happening in Outlook 2000). So fed up
was I that I thought I'd write a bit of VBA to cover it.

Well this code works for me, let me break it down for you:

1.    Outlook Starts
2.    Disable the Scheduled Send/Receive
3.    Pause for 10 seconds (works for me, your mileage may vary)
4.    Force a Send/Receive for all accounts
4.    Re-enable the Scheduled Send/Receive

and here's the code:

-----

    Private Sub Application_Startup()

    Dim datStartTime As Date
    Dim intInterval As Integer
    Dim objControl As CommandBarButton

    Set objControl = ActiveExplorer.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=6867)

            If objControl.State = msoButtonUp Then
                objControl.Execute
            End If

    '   pause (10 seconds)
    intInterval = 10
    datStartTime = Now()

        Do Until DateDiff("s", datStartTime, Now()) >= intInterval
            DoEvents
        Loop

    '   Send/Receive now
    Set objControl = ActiveExplorer.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=7095)
    objControl.Execute

    '   Re-enable the Schedule

    Set objControl = ActiveExplorer.CommandBars.FindControl(ID:=6867)

            If objControl.State = msoButtonDown Then
                objControl.Execute
            End If

    Set objControl = Nothing

    End Sub

---

Now I know this is one hell of a kludge, but it works for me. The
FindControl(ID:=????) might be different in Outlook 2000 so you may want to
check this prior to running this code in the Application_Startup event.

I did try running the disable part in the Application_Quit event, but
there's no Explorers running at that point.

Any amendments/critisisms/praise, please don't hesitate.

Meddler

---

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 07:57:29 GMT

1. NewMail event does not occur during startup

2. Find Events OCCURRING during date range

3. Label change event not occurring when Message Box displayed

4. DataCombo _Change event not occurring

5. Why did not the KeyPress event occur?

6. GotFocus event not occurring after MsgBox

7. Breakpoint always occurs at startup

8. Form close event occurs before lost focus event

9. DoEvents not doing any events

10. MCI Control Gets Into a Tizzy - Done Events Not Being Generated

11. How to run program on startup (not using startup)

12. Disable or protect Shift key during startup