Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?
Author Message
 Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?

Using Access 97, I created an Access library to which I store true global
code modules--and
it works great.  However, I would also like to store forms that I want all
my apps to use.  Is this possible in a library, and how do I start new
instances of the form from my apps?

Thank you.

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?
Hi Stingray,

  You can create a function in the library database which opens the form.
Then call this function from CurrentDB.

HTH
--
Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
---------------

Quote:

>Using Access 97, I created an Access library to which I store true global
>code modules--and
>it works great.  However, I would also like to store forms that I want all
>my apps to use.  Is this possible in a library, and how do I start new
>instances of the form from my apps?

>Thank you.

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?
Thanks Dev!  That was the part that I was missing.  I was trying to call the
form from the currentdb instead of the library.  It works like a charm
now--in fact it even seems a bit faster.
Quote:

>Hi Stingray,

>  You can create a function in the library database which opens the form.
>Then call this function from CurrentDB.

>HTH
>--
>Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
>---------------
>The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
>---------------

>>Using Access 97, I created an Access library to which I store true global
>>code modules--and
>>it works great.  However, I would also like to store forms that I want all
>>my apps to use.  Is this possible in a library, and how do I start new
>>instances of the form from my apps?

>>Thank you.

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?
It's me again.  After further testing, I've realized another problem.  How
can I call code in the currentdb from a form in a library?  In other words,
a button on the form needs to call some code that is stored in the program
database (because it's pertitent only to that particular db), but it seems
to be only looking for it in the library db.  Also, it seems that if the
form is based on a table/query, that those objects must reside in the
library as well.

Is there a way around this?  Maybe there is a book or web site that I can
read up more about the proper use of library databases.  Thanks for your
help Dev!

Quote:

>Hi Stingray,

>  You can create a function in the library database which opens the form.
>Then call this function from CurrentDB.

>HTH
>--
>Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
>---------------
>The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
>---------------

>>Using Access 97, I created an Access library to which I store true global
>>code modules--and
>>it works great.  However, I would also like to store forms that I want all
>>my apps to use.  Is this possible in a library, and how do I start new
>>instances of the form from my apps?

>>Thank you.

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?
Hi Stingray,

I haven't tested the possibility yet, but if I may say this...

You shouldn't have to run code in CurrentDB from CodeDB.  An Addin, to me at
least, means code that doesn't depend on anything in the current database
and therefore can be called from several mdbs, with the same result.

If you find yourself trying to work around such problems as running code in
CurrentdB etc., I'd suggest taht you revisit the structure of the files you
have and try to separate the functionality more generically.  I'm not that
experienced, but I haven't yet had the need to run the code in CurrentDB
from CodeDB.

HTH
--
Dev Ashish    (Just my $.001)
----

:
:Is there a way around this?  Maybe there is a book or web site that I can
:read up more about the proper use of library databases.  Thanks for your
:help Dev!
:
:
:>Hi Stingray,
:>
:>  You can create a function in the library database which opens the form.
:>Then call this function from CurrentDB.
:>
:>HTH
:>--
:>Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
:>---------------
:>The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
:>---------------
:>
:>>Using Access 97, I created an Access library to which I store true global
:>>code modules--and
:>>it works great.  However, I would also like to store forms that I want
all
:>>my apps to use.  Is this possible in a library, and how do I start new
:>>instances of the form from my apps?
:>>
:>>Thank you.
:>>
:>>
:>>
:>
:>
:
:

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?
What you're saying does make sense, so maybe I'm looking to library
databases for the wrong application.  Here's a couple of  example's of what
I was trying to accomplish:

1) A generic report dialog box.  This form would contain a list box of all
reports available for printing-based on a table.  Also, each report would
call code based on a lookup for that report.

2) A generic main menu form.  This form would dynamically load it's menu
options based on a table as well.  Also, the menu options would call code
that would "look up" the approriate action for that particular program.

I have already created these forms, but I would love to be able to use them
in every app without having to import them into each program, plus
modifications would be recognized by all the apps automatically.

In your experience, does this seem feasible, and if so, how do you suggest
that I attack it.  Thanks again for your help Dev.

Quote:

>Hi Stingray,

>I haven't tested the possibility yet, but if I may say this...

>You shouldn't have to run code in CurrentDB from CodeDB.  An Addin, to me
at
>least, means code that doesn't depend on anything in the current database
>and therefore can be called from several mdbs, with the same result.

>If you find yourself trying to work around such problems as running code in
>CurrentdB etc., I'd suggest taht you revisit the structure of the files you
>have and try to separate the functionality more generically.  I'm not that
>experienced, but I haven't yet had the need to run the code in CurrentDB
>from CodeDB.

>HTH
>--
>Dev Ashish    (Just my $.001)
>The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
>----

>:It's me again.  After further testing, I've realized another problem.  How
>:can I call code in the currentdb from a form in a library?  In other
words,
>:a button on the form needs to call some code that is stored in the program
>:database (because it's pertitent only to that particular db), but it seems
>:to be only looking for it in the library db.  Also, it seems that if the
>:form is based on a table/query, that those objects must reside in the
>:library as well.
>:
>:Is there a way around this?  Maybe there is a book or web site that I can
>:read up more about the proper use of library databases.  Thanks for your
>:help Dev!
>:
>:

>:>Hi Stingray,
>:>
>:>  You can create a function in the library database which opens the form.
>:>Then call this function from CurrentDB.
>:>
>:>HTH
>:>--
>:>Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
>:>---------------
>:>The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
>:>---------------
>:>

>:>>Using Access 97, I created an Access library to which I store true
global
>:>>code modules--and
>:>>it works great.  However, I would also like to store forms that I want
>all
>:>>my apps to use.  Is this possible in a library, and how do I start new
>:>>instances of the form from my apps?
>:>>
>:>>Thank you.
>:>>
>:>>
>:>>
>:>
>:>
>:
>:

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?
Hi Stingray,

    In both cases, I think that importing the generic forms into a new
database would be easier and would also be more applicable.  IMHO, perhaps
an ActiveX control would be more fitting, rather than an MDA.

    -- Dev

Quote:

> [...]

>>:>Hi Stingray,
>>:>
>>:>  You can create a function in the library database which opens the
form.
>>:>Then call this function from CurrentDB.
>>:>
>>:>HTH
>>:>--
>>:>Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
>>:>---------------
>>:>The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
>>:>---------------
>>:>

>>:>>Using Access 97, I created an Access library to which I store true
>global
>>:>>code modules--and
>>:>>it works great.  However, I would also like to store forms that I want
>>all
>>:>>my apps to use.  Is this possible in a library, and how do I start new

Sun, 29 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Libraries: How do you reference forms?
Perhaps you're right, it's getting to be more trouble than it's worth.
Thanks for your advice Dev!

Quote:

> [...]

>>>:>Hi Stingray,
>>>:>
>>>:>  You can create a function in the library database which opens the
>form.
>>>:>Then call this function from CurrentDB.
>>>:>
>>>:>HTH
>>>:>--
>>>:>Dev Ashish (Just my $.001)
>>>:>---------------
>>>:>The Access Web ( http://home.att.net/~dashish )
>>>:>---------------
>>>:>

>>>:>>Using Access 97, I created an Access library to which I store true
>>global
>>>:>>code modules--and
>>>:>>it works great.  However, I would also like to store forms that I want
>>>all
>>>:>>my apps to use.  Is this possible in a library, and how do I start new

Mon, 30 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Referencing the Personal Forms Library Collection

2. Using Microsoft Word 9.0 Object Library Reference

3. determine referenced libraries using TypeLibInfo?

4. Reference DAO 3.6 Object Library or DAO 2.5/3.51 Compatibility Library

5. How do I reference a form I've created from another form using VBScript

6. Make a reference to a MDI form with a reference of a MDI child form

7. Using CDO or OL9 to get Org Forms library

8. Using the MODELENGLib library (Microsoft Visio Database Modeling Engine Type Library)

9. Great (IMHO) QuickBASIC library is almost done!!!

10. HELP : Using a string to create a reference to Form Controls

11. referencing object (form, report) using string variable

12. Newbie Using a variable to reference a Form