How to convert userform and mailmerge input into document properties
Author Message
 How to convert userform and mailmerge input into document properties

Hi,

Is it possible to convert userform and/or mailmerge input into a Word
document property? I've created several Word templates which gather
information from a database by means of mailmerge and some other information
by means of a userform which is presented to the user after the mailmerge,
and. I would like to store some of that information in the document
properties, in order to be able to classify all the documents. I can't use
the document name giving for that purpose, because I've arranged that the
document names consist of a code and a number, which is derived from the
mailmerge database. Any help would be appreciated.

Wim

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:02:30 GMT
 How to convert userform and mailmerge input into document properties
I don't think using both mail merge and an intermediaire dialog (userform)
to store data in custom document properties is an efficient way.

Mail merge was not designed for this.
Mail merge itself has an interface to the user, so that makes the usage
of a userform obsolete.
On the other hand, if you want the userform to hold data from the
database, mail merging is obsolete.

If you want stick to using the userform by means of intermediaire and
"taylormade" dialog for the
user, I wud use Automation or direct access (DAO or ADO) to transfer
data to yr userform and forget about mail merge.
Once the data is accessed and transfered to the userform,
you can of course redirect same (or modified) data to custom document
properties.

Kindly repost what you wud like to do.
Is it:
- mail merge and transering data to the formfields or custom document
properties
or
- direct access using DAO or ADO (or Automation) to wire data from Access to
Word.

Krgrds,
Perry

Quote:
> Hi,

> Is it possible to convert userform and/or mailmerge input into a Word
> document property? I've created several Word templates which gather
> information from a database by means of mailmerge and some other
information
> by means of a userform which is presented to the user after the mailmerge,
> and. I would like to store some of that information in the document
> properties, in order to be able to classify all the documents. I can't use
> the document name giving for that purpose, because I've arranged that the
> document names consist of a code and a number, which is derived from the
> mailmerge database. Any help would be appreciated.

> Wim

Fri, 11 Nov 2005 06:55:14 GMT
 How to convert userform and mailmerge input into document properties
Hi Perry,

I still want it both ways, so let me explain: we're using a CRM program in
which we record all the interactions with our customers, for instance the
fact that we agreed (by telephone) to send a letter with more information
about our products or with an offer or with a contract, etc. We then merge
the address information of the customer plus some extra information (date,
name of the employee, projectnumber, etc.) to Word in which we open a letter
or fax template, which receives this mailmerge information and opens a
userform in which some extra information is asked, such as subject of the
letter or fax. At the same time the CRM program generates and stores a
number which is send with the mailmerge information to the letter or fax
template and which serves as a recognition number of the letter or fax and
also serves as a name under which the letter or fax is stored on a network
harddisk. So we end up with customer information in the CRM program which
contains activities and numbers of letters and faxes, which corresponds with
a map on a network harddisk with lots of letters and faxes with only
numbers. What we would like to see is that we can go through the map on the
network harddisk and be able to sort or search through the documents by
means of their document properties, which in our opinion should hold
information from the mailmerge (name of the customer, name of the employee,
projectnumber, etc.) as well as information from the userform (subject of
the letter or fax, etc.). So after the mailmerge and after the userform I
need a way to pick up some of this information and store it in the document
properties. I hope you understand my situation.

Regards,

Wim

Quote:
> I don't think using both mail merge and an intermediaire dialog (userform)
> to store data in custom document properties is an efficient way.

> Mail merge was not designed for this.
> Mail merge itself has an interface to the user, so that makes the usage
> of a userform obsolete.
> On the other hand, if you want the userform to hold data from the
> database, mail merging is obsolete.

> If you want stick to using the userform by means of intermediaire and
> "taylormade" dialog for the
> user, I wud use Automation or direct access (DAO or ADO) to transfer
> data to yr userform and forget about mail merge.
> Once the data is accessed and transfered to the userform,
> you can of course redirect same (or modified) data to custom document
> properties.

> Kindly repost what you wud like to do.
> Is it:
> - mail merge and transering data to the formfields or custom document
> properties
> or
> - direct access using DAO or ADO (or Automation) to wire data from Access
> Word.

> Krgrds,
> Perry

> > Hi,

> > Is it possible to convert userform and/or mailmerge input into a Word
> > document property? I've created several Word templates which gather
> > information from a database by means of mailmerge and some other
> information
> > by means of a userform which is presented to the user after the
mailmerge,
> > and. I would like to store some of that information in the document
> > properties, in order to be able to classify all the documents. I can't
use
> > the document name giving for that purpose, because I've arranged that
the
> > document names consist of a code and a number, which is derived from the
> > mailmerge database. Any help would be appreciated.

> > Wim

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 02:12:53 GMT
 How to convert userform and mailmerge input into document properties
Here's a very simple example of a document set up for mailmerging
The userform picks up values from the mailmerge Datafields
and stores values in TextBox1 and 2 of the userform.
Textbox 3 & 4 are fields for extra information.
CommandButton1_Click event transfers values
(both mail merge and extra fields) to Custom document properties
of your document.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    With ActiveDocument.CustomDocumentProperties
        'TextBox1 & 2 are the MailMerge textboxes
        .Item(1) = Me.TextBox1
        .Item(2) = Me.TextBox2

        '#3 & 4, are the extra information
        .Item(3) = Me.TextBox3
        .Item(4) = Me.TextBox4
    End With
End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    'pick up mail merge fields and store in TextBox1 & 2
    With ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.DataFields
        Me.TextBox1 = .Item(1)
        Me.TextBox2 = .Item(2)
    End With
End Sub

Kindly repost if still not helpfull

Krgrds,
Perry

Quote:
> [...]

> > Perry

> > > Hi,

> > > Is it possible to convert userform and/or mailmerge input into a Word
> > > document property? I've created several Word templates which gather
> > > information from a database by means of mailmerge and some other
> > information
> > > by means of a userform which is presented to the user after the
> mailmerge,
> > > and. I would like to store some of that information in the document
> > > properties, in order to be able to classify all the documents. I can't
> use
> > > the document name giving for that purpose, because I've arranged that
> the
> > > document names consist of a code and a number, which is derived from
the
> > > mailmerge database. Any help would be appreciated.

Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:51:12 GMT

1. Attributing values to Document Properties with a UserForm

2. Mailmerge document restored to normal document (Word 2000)

3. Userform for MailMerge

4. Connection between secured DB and a mailmerge Word document

5. problem mailmerging a Word 95 document from Access 95

6. Mailmerge a word document through VBA

7. Mailmerge a word document through VBA

8. SPOED Mailmerge: meerdere records in 1 document.

9. How to attach one or more external files to a mailmerge document

10. MailMerge - Switching between documents

11. New document created by Mailmerge.Execute ..

12. mailmerging to separate documents