Newbie wants to Learning VBA
Author Message
 Newbie wants to Learning VBA

Hi,

I am looking for suggestions on a good book to learn VBA. I have not
programmed anything since 1979 when I wrote programs in Basic on a Commodore
Pet with 8K of memory and saved them on audiocassettes. I am a little behind
the times. I've worked with Access somewhat and am proficient in designing
tables, writing queries and designing reports. I worked as a SQL Server
admin for three years and have a fairly good background in relational
databases and writing SQL code, but I don;t know any object oreinted
programming. I'm doing a lot of work now in Access and need to go to the
next level which is, I believe, learning some VBA. Need to know what DoCmd
is and what Me. is and what DIM is and Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset.
Guess I need to start simple.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter Hack

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:57:37 GMT
 Newbie wants to Learning VBA
I have found the following books extremely useful, for
different purposes. Fill in the blanks for which Access
version you're using, because the publishers typically
release a new book for each version of Access:

Que - Using Access ____ (Sometimes in Special Edition)
    This is a great book for starting out with VBA. It
gives a lot of detail on other stuff too (Tables, forms,
reports, etc.), and has some chapters for beginners level
VBA in the back.

Sybex - Access ____ Developer's Handbook
     This book is a gold mine of technical information for
how to do very complex VBA tasks. It's best to read the
VBA chapters of the previous book before starting this
one, since it's a more advanced level.

Que - Access ____ Expert Solutions
     Where the Sybex book is great at listing raw details
of VBA programming, this book gives you more finesse. It
approaches Access more from the standpoint of
creating "professional looking" applications. It goes over
the whole application development process, including
things like interviewing end-users prior to development,
deploying the application, as well as good suggestions for
design.

And, of course, if there's something you can't find in a
book, this newsgroup is a great resource!

If you can only afford one, I usually find myself in the
Access ____ Developer's Handbook more than anything else.

Hope that helps!

Quote:

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:05:35 GMT
 Newbie wants to Learning VBA
There are many good books, but few specifically address "learning VBA". The
one I like in this particular area is "Progamming Microsoft Access 2002" by
Rick Dobson, published by Microsoft Press. (There is an Access 2000 edition,
as well, but I don't know if it is still in print. If not, you can search
auction and resale sites, such as eBay and half.com. I'm amazed at the books
for sale online!)

However, let me caution that knowing VBA is not, in itself, enough. You have
to be well-versed in the Access object model, the properties, and how things
are done manually with Access, too. That's because a major part of what we
do with VBA is to automate things we could do manually.

  Larry Linson
  Microsoft Access MVP

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am looking for suggestions on a good book to learn VBA. I have not
> programmed anything since 1979 when I wrote programs in Basic on a
Commodore
> Pet with 8K of memory and saved them on audiocassettes. I am a little
behind
> the times. I've worked with Access somewhat and am proficient in designing
> tables, writing queries and designing reports. I worked as a SQL Server
> admin for three years and have a fairly good background in relational
> databases and writing SQL code, but I don;t know any object oreinted
> programming. I'm doing a lot of work now in Access and need to go to the
> next level which is, I believe, learning some VBA. Need to know what DoCmd
> is and what Me. is and what DIM is and Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset.
> Guess I need to start simple.

> Any suggestions much appreciated!

> Thanks,

> Peter Hack

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 06:45:56 GMT
 Newbie wants to Learning VBA
The book "Beginning Access (YourAccessVersion} VBA" by Smith And Sussman
published by Wrox is often recommended in these newsgroups for people who
want to learn Access VBA.

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:18:19 GMT

1. Newbie--Wants to learn about RTF

2. Newbie wants to learn

3. Newbie - should I learn just VBA or learn VB first?

4. Wanting to learn VB 6?

5. Testers for multilanguage learning program wanted!

6. Can you help a 16 yr old Wanting to learn VB 4

7. Wanted: VB5 Learning Version

8. Begginer wants to learn

9. Wanting to learn Visual Basic

10. Wanting to learn VB...