newbie: Access error handling
Author Message
 newbie: Access error handling

Hi

in my access database, I often import excel tabels and
add them to a specific table of mine (through
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet...).
Sometimes Access prints some errors, that say e.g. that I
cannot convert this type of data (from the excel table)
into a different field in my access table.
So, is there any way, that access ignores even such
errors? Best thing would be, that it just skips these
fields that don't match and goes on working?
Is there any setting that concernes this point?

Thanks
mosquitooth

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 01:50:16 GMT
 newbie: Access error handling
Would be nice to know what type of data isn't converted properly. If it is into existing table, you should make sure your field
types are correct (e.g. you can not import text into number field).

If that is not the case, check the data in Excel for 'Null' values or empty fields. If an Access table is created, textfields
default to not accepting 'null' values (('Allow zero length' - is irritating, forget it myself too often, only to find out the hard
way).
So, import it into table that has fields that allow zero length.

HTH,

Jacques

Hi

in my access database, I often import excel tabels and
add them to a specific table of mine (through
DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet...).
Sometimes Access prints some errors, that say e.g. that I
cannot convert this type of data (from the excel table)
into a different field in my access table.
So, is there any way, that access ignores even such
errors? Best thing would be, that it just skips these
fields that don't match and goes on working?
Is there any setting that concernes this point?

Thanks
mosquitooth

Sat, 20 Aug 2005 05:06:02 GMT

1. Access 97 to Access 200 converting Error Code Handling

2. Newbie Question: VBScript Error handling and Session Timeout

3. Newbie: SQL error handling in VB

4. Error handling in component - Newbie

5. ADO Error Handling....Newbie Question...

6. newbie error handling problem

7. Error handling newbie, help please

8. Access 2000 : Error handling/debugging problems

9. help on error handling (new to access)

10. Access XP VBA - Error handling code

11. How to Handle AppointmentItem error Access 97 - Outlook 97 across Exchange

12. Error handling fails in Access VBA and more