3218 Record Lock error
Author Message
 3218 Record Lock error

Hi All,

Trying very hard to work with a form and processing in ACC2k.
The form is unbound and contains a bound subform. Subform is in
datasheet view. User edits a record in subform. User hits a button on
main form.

Button wants to run a query that updates the current record in the
subform. I get 3218 record lock error.

Techniques attempted:
1. Do a RunCommand acSaveRecord or DoCmd.DoMenuItem etc.. I can see the
record selector symbol change from pencil to triangle - so the record
IS saving (and therefore unlocking, I think) but I still get the error.

2. Updating the underlying recordset -
   set rst=me.ctlxxx.form.recordset
   rst.update

Nope. the set rst line does not error but rst.update says no object
bound.

After a while, some form movement etc.., I sometimes have no error.
Sometimes also, I get no error at all, first time.

BTW, I have wrapped the processing of the updates in a transaction.

Any help appreciated.

Ananda

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3218 Record Lock error
If your subform is bound to a dataset, there is no reason to create a
button in order for the user to save something.  This error you are
encountering happens because the user is already editing the record.

Now, if your subform were unbound, then you should create a Save button
for the user.
----

Quote:

> Hi All,

> Trying very hard to work with a form and processing in ACC2k.
> The form is unbound and contains a bound subform. Subform is in
> datasheet view. User edits a record in subform. User hits a button on
> main form.

> Button wants to run a query that updates the current record in the
> subform. I get 3218 record lock error.

> Techniques attempted:
> 1. Do a RunCommand acSaveRecord or DoCmd.DoMenuItem etc.. I can see
the
> record selector symbol change from pencil to triangle - so the record
> IS saving (and therefore unlocking, I think) but I still get the
error.

> 2. Updating the underlying recordset -
>    set rst=me.ctlxxx.form.recordset
>    rst.update

> Nope. the set rst line does not error but rst.update says no object
> bound.

> After a while, some form movement etc.., I sometimes have no error.
> Sometimes also, I get no error at all, first time.

> BTW, I have wrapped the processing of the updates in a transaction.

> Any help appreciated.

> Ananda

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Check it:
O.o. H.N.N. o.O.: http://hackernews.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 11 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 3218 Record Lock error
Hiya,

No, I'm not just saving the record - like you, I don't like to put buttons
that duplicate native functions.
I am putting a button that takes the record and does things with it on other
tables and then if successful,
modifies that record.

I've succeeded, I think with sufficient number of DoEvents....

Thanks

Ananda

Quote:
> If your subform is bound to a dataset, there is no reason to create a
> button in order for the user to save something.  This error you are
> encountering happens because the user is already editing the record.

> Now, if your subform were unbound, then you should create a Save button
> for the user.
> ----

> > Hi All,

> > Trying very hard to work with a form and processing in ACC2k.
> > The form is unbound and contains a bound subform. Subform is in
> > datasheet view. User edits a record in subform. User hits a button on
> > main form.

> > Button wants to run a query that updates the current record in the
> > subform. I get 3218 record lock error.

Sun, 18 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. 3218 - "currently locked"

2. Access hangs up after error 3218

3. Access hangs after error 3218

4. Error 3218?

5. Error Code : 3218 while running application

6. runtime error # 3218 with VB 6.0

7. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware

8. Error 3218 - This One Is Really Weird

9. Help, Error 3218 when replicating a database.

10. Help, Error 3218 when replicating

11. Error 3218 with MDB File on Novell Netware!

12. Help: Error 3218 in VB5 data access