Finding What Resource Pool Linked To If Any
Author Message
 Finding What Resource Pool Linked To If Any

Currently using MS Project 98

There are various projects, and we also have several resource pool files due
to limitations of MS Project 98 to the point that we can't seem to link more
than 30 projects to a single resource pool file without potentially running
into issues of opening the resource pool file(s).  Given this limitation, we
would like to know:

While the user is in the Project file that gets linked to a resource pool
file, is there an easy way to find out what resource pool file it's linked
to without having to check each resource pool file one at a time, and if so,
how?

Hopefully, it would be as easy as tracing Dependents (Resource pool file as
a dependent to project file) and Precedents (Project file as a precedent to
resource pool file).  In resource pool file, you can goto Share Resources to
trace precedents, but would like to know if there's a way to trace
dependents of projects files from within the project files themselves.

--
Ronald R Dodge, Jr
Production Statistician

Mon, 25 Jul 2005 23:42:39 GMT
 Finding What Resource Pool Linked To If Any
Hi,

If the pool is opened together with the file
In the file, Tools, Resources, Share Resources shows it

If the pool has not been opened
Tools, Resources, Share Resource, click the radio buton Use own resources
You will get a message saying something like:
"The project now uses own resources but was linked to ................ Do
you want to break this link"
Note the address, and Reply No.

HTH
--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
> Currently using MS Project 98

> There are various projects, and we also have several resource pool files
due
> to limitations of MS Project 98 to the point that we can't seem to link
more
> than 30 projects to a single resource pool file without potentially
running
> into issues of opening the resource pool file(s).  Given this limitation,
we
> would like to know:

> While the user is in the Project file that gets linked to a resource pool
> file, is there an easy way to find out what resource pool file it's linked
> to without having to check each resource pool file one at a time, and if
so,
> how?

> Hopefully, it would be as easy as tracing Dependents (Resource pool file
as
> a dependent to project file) and Precedents (Project file as a precedent
> resource pool file).  In resource pool file, you can goto Share Resources
> trace precedents, but would like to know if there's a way to trace
> dependents of projects files from within the project files themselves.

> --
> Ronald R Dodge, Jr
> Production Statistician
> Master MOUS 2000

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:39:14 GMT
 Finding What Resource Pool Linked To If Any
Thank you for the response.  That was an easy answer as in our case, as long
as either of the top 2 options are choosen when the individual project file
is opened, we can see which resource pool file it's linked to.

--
Ronald R Dodge, Jr
Production Statistician

Quote:
> Hi,

> If the pool is opened together with the file
> In the file, Tools, Resources, Share Resources shows it

> If the pool has not been opened
> Tools, Resources, Share Resource, click the radio buton Use own resources
> You will get a message saying something like:
> "The project now uses own resources but was linked to ................ Do
> you want to break this link"
> Note the address, and Reply No.

> HTH
> --
> Jan De Messemaeker
> Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
> Project Management Consultancy
> Prom+ade BVBA
> 32-495-300 620

> > Currently using MS Project 98

> > There are various projects, and we also have several resource pool files
> due
> > to limitations of MS Project 98 to the point that we can't seem to link
> more
> > than 30 projects to a single resource pool file without potentially
> running
> > into issues of opening the resource pool file(s).  Given this
limitation,
> we
> > would like to know:

> > While the user is in the Project file that gets linked to a resource
pool
> > file, is there an easy way to find out what resource pool file it's
linked
> > to without having to check each resource pool file one at a time, and if
> so,
> > how?

> > Hopefully, it would be as easy as tracing Dependents (Resource pool file
> as
> > a dependent to project file) and Precedents (Project file as a precedent
> > resource pool file).  In resource pool file, you can goto Share
Resources
> > trace precedents, but would like to know if there's a way to trace
> > dependents of projects files from within the project files themselves.

> > --
> > Ronald R Dodge, Jr
> > Production Statistician
> > Master MOUS 2000

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 02:23:32 GMT

1. Resource Pool and Competence Pool

2. ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

3. ODBC Connection Pooling Vs OLE DB Resource Pooling

4. Adding resources to Global Resource Pool

5. Resources in a resource pool in date range

6. Replace project resources with pool resources

7. Shared Resources/Resource Pool

8. Auto Load Resource Pool

9. Add non-working time to Global Resource Pool

10. Resource Pool

11. Resource Pool Sharers

12. Identify a Project as a resource pool