Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades
Author Message
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades

I have 4 databases that have a significant amount of duplication between
their modules. (We made a design decision to develop 4 separate apps based
upon 4 different user groups and are now regretting that decision). In an
effort to simplify our lives, I am considering moving many of the common
modules to a library database. I have no experience doing this and am
looking for guidance. We are currently using Access 97 but plan on moving to
2000 in the near future
1) What are the downsides of doing this?
2) We are distributing the front-ends of the 4 apps as MDEs, does using a
library database effect this approach?

Thanks in advance

--
Dean Gross
Parsons I&T Group

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades
Creating and addin (.mda) would most likely help you.  Basically all you
need to do is put all your modules into a new database and save it as a
.mda.  Then make a reference to the .mda file.  You can include mda files in
your distriution.

As far as Access 2000, if you purchase the Microsoft Office 2000 Developer,
you get the Code Librarian, which is a good tool for keeping all your code
cateloged.  (and I mean ALL of your code, not just Access)

Paul

Quote:
> I have 4 databases that have a significant amount of duplication between
> their modules. (We made a design decision to develop 4 separate apps based
> upon 4 different user groups and are now regretting that decision). In an
> effort to simplify our lives, I am considering moving many of the common
> modules to a library database. I have no experience doing this and am
> looking for guidance. We are currently using Access 97 but plan on moving
> 2000 in the near future
> 1) What are the downsides of doing this?
> 2) We are distributing the front-ends of the 4 apps as MDEs, does using a
> library database effect this approach?

> Thanks in advance

> --
> Dean Gross
> Parsons I&T Group
> 4701 Hedgemore Dr.
> C{*filter*}te, NC 28209

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades
Note that an .MDE cannot reference a non-MDE file. Also, if
you update the referencee, you must update the referencer.

--
MichKa

-------------------------------------
don't send questions by e-mail unless
you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!) :-)

random junk of dubious value and
replica error and problem fixing at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> Creating and addin (.mda) would most likely help you.
Basically all you
> need to do is put all your modules into a new database and
save it as a
> .mda.  Then make a reference to the .mda file.  You can

include mda files in
Quote:
> your distriution.

> As far as Access 2000, if you purchase the Microsoft

Office 2000 Developer,
Quote:
> you get the Code Librarian, which is a good tool for

keeping all your code
Quote:
> cateloged.  (and I mean ALL of your code, not just Access)

> Paul

> > I have 4 databases that have a significant amount of
duplication between
> > their modules. (We made a design decision to develop 4
separate apps based
> > upon 4 different user groups and are now regretting that
decision). In an
> > effort to simplify our lives, I am considering moving
many of the common
> > modules to a library database. I have no experience
doing this and am
> > looking for guidance. We are currently using Access 97
but plan on moving
> > 2000 in the near future
> > 1) What are the downsides of doing this?
> > 2) We are distributing the front-ends of the 4 apps as
MDEs, does using a
> > library database effect this approach?

> > Thanks in advance

> > --
> > Dean Gross
> > Parsons I&T Group
> > 4701 Hedgemore Dr.
> > C{*filter*}te, NC 28209

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades
If you mention only modules (code) then it's better to create activeX dll on
VB with common modules. much easy to maintain then MDE library

--

Best regards,
___________

Quote:
> I have 4 databases that have a significant amount of duplication between
> their modules. (We made a design decision to develop 4 separate apps based
> upon 4 different user groups and are now regretting that decision). In an
> effort to simplify our lives, I am considering moving many of the common
> modules to a library database. I have no experience doing this and am
> looking for guidance. We are currently using Access 97 but plan on moving
> 2000 in the near future
> 1) What are the downsides of doing this?
> 2) We are distributing the front-ends of the 4 apps as MDEs, does using a
> library database effect this approach?

> Thanks in advance

> --
> Dean Gross
> Parsons I&T Group
> 4701 Hedgemore Dr.
> C{*filter*}te, NC 28209

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades
Michael, does this mean that when I make an .MDE the code that was
referenced in the MDB does not get compiled into the MDE?
Dean

Quote:
> Note that an .MDE cannot reference a non-MDE file. Also, if
> you update the referencee, you must update the referencer.

> --
> MichKa

> -------------------------------------
> don't send questions by e-mail unless
> you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!) :-)

> random junk of dubious value and
> replica error and problem fixing at:
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > Creating and addin (.mda) would most likely help you.
> Basically all you
> > need to do is put all your modules into a new database and
> save it as a
> > .mda.  Then make a reference to the .mda file.  You can
> include mda files in
> > your distriution.

> > As far as Access 2000, if you purchase the Microsoft
> Office 2000 Developer,
> > you get the Code Librarian, which is a good tool for
> keeping all your code
> > cateloged.  (and I mean ALL of your code, not just Access)

> > Paul

> > > I have 4 databases that have a significant amount of
> duplication between
> > > their modules. (We made a design decision to develop 4
> separate apps based
> > > upon 4 different user groups and are now regretting that
> decision). In an
> > > effort to simplify our lives, I am considering moving
> many of the common
> > > modules to a library database. I have no experience
> doing this and am
> > > looking for guidance. We are currently using Access 97
> but plan on moving
> > > 2000 in the near future
> > > 1) What are the downsides of doing this?
> > > 2) We are distributing the front-ends of the 4 apps as
> MDEs, does using a
> > > library database effect this approach?

> > > Thanks in advance

> > > --
> > > Dean Gross
> > > Parsons I&T Group
> > > 4701 Hedgemore Dr.
> > > C{*filter*}te, NC 28209

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades
I am not sure I understand what you are asking for.

If you have a.mde and b.mde, where a.mde references
b.mde....

then you can update a.mde all you want and not touch b.mde.
BUT if you update b.mde, then you must also update a.mde.

Make sense explained this way?

--
MichKa

-------------------------------------
don't send questions by e-mail unless
you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!) :-)

random junk of dubious value and
replica error and problem fixing at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> Michael, does this mean that when I make an .MDE the code
that was
> referenced in the MDB does not get compiled into the MDE?
> Dean
> Michael (michka) Kaplan

Quote:

> > Note that an .MDE cannot reference a non-MDE file. Also,
if
> > you update the referencee, you must update the
referencer.

> > --
> > MichKa

> > -------------------------------------
> > don't send questions by e-mail unless
> > you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!) :-)

> > random junk of dubious value and
> > replica error and problem fixing at:
> > http://www.*-*-*.com/

> > > Creating and addin (.mda) would most likely help you.
> > Basically all you
> > > need to do is put all your modules into a new database
and
> > save it as a
> > > .mda.  Then make a reference to the .mda file.  You
can
> > include mda files in
> > > your distriution.

> > > As far as Access 2000, if you purchase the Microsoft
> > Office 2000 Developer,
> > > you get the Code Librarian, which is a good tool for
> > keeping all your code
> > > cateloged.  (and I mean ALL of your code, not just
Access)

> > > Paul

> > duplication between
> > separate apps based
that
> > decision). In an
moving
> > many of the common
> > doing this and am
97
> > but plan on moving
as
> > MDEs, does using a

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades
What Michael wants to say (not wanting to play the role of devil's
lawyer...) I think is:
1. you've got to create your .mda library and make a .mde file from it;
2. establish a reference from your .mdb file to this .mde library;
3. make a .mde file from your .mdb file;

Please note that any time you have to make changes to the library database,
all the above process must be followed again...

Hope this helps...

(-: a s i l b a . p t :-)

Quote:

>Michael, does this mean that when I make an .MDE the code that was
>referenced in the MDB does not get compiled into the MDE?

Sat, 30 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades

Quote:
> What Michael wants to say (not wanting to play the role of devil's
> lawyer...) I think is:
> 1. you've got to create your .mda library and make a .mde file from
it;
> 2. establish a reference from your .mdb file to this .mde library;
> 3. make a .mde file from your .mdb file;

> Please note that any time you have to make changes to the library
database,
> all the above process must be followed again...

> Hope this helps...

> (-: a s i l b a . p t :-)

> >Michael, does this mean that when I make an .MDE the code that was
> >referenced in the MDB does not get compiled into the MDE?

If I understand well, step 2 is accomplished through the References in
the Tools menu, where I locate the MDE file containing the "shared"
modules. I suppose that, when distributing the run-time version, both
MDE (referencee and referencer) will be part of the kit. My question
is: does this mean that the end user shouldn't be allowed to choose an
alternative installation drive and/or folder? Or is the setup program
(or Access) smart enough to "refresh" those references?

Alex.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 05 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Libary Database, MDEs & Future Upgrades
If they are in the same dir, you will have no problem.
Beyond that, you will likely want to look into the
RefLibPaths reg key and how to use it for references fixup.

--
MichKa

-------------------------------------
don't send questions by e-mail unless
you're paying for it. (TANSTAAFL!) :-)

random junk of dubious value and
replica error and problem fixing at:
http://www.trigeminal.com

Quote:

> > What Michael wants to say (not wanting to play the role
of devil's
> > lawyer...) I think is:
> > 1. you've got to create your .mda library and make a
.mde file from
> it;
> > 2. establish a reference from your .mdb file to this
.mde library;
> > 3. make a .mde file from your .mdb file;

> > Please note that any time you have to make changes to
the library
> database,
> > all the above process must be followed again...

> > Hope this helps...

> > (-: a s i l b a . p t :-)

> > >Michael, does this mean that when I make an .MDE the
code that was
> > >referenced in the MDB does not get compiled into the
MDE?

> If I understand well, step 2 is accomplished through the
References in
> the Tools menu, where I locate the MDE file containing the
"shared"
> modules. I suppose that, when distributing the run-time
version, both
> MDE (referencee and referencer) will be part of the kit.
My question
> is: does this mean that the end user shouldn't be allowed
to choose an
> alternative installation drive and/or folder? Or is the
setup program
> (or Access) smart enough to "refresh" those references?

> Alex.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Fri, 05 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using DLookup in Libary Database

2. The future of Object-Oriented and Extended Databases

3. which database for future development?

4. The future of Object-Oriented and Extended Databases

5. Executing MDEs with VBA

6. References: Update References in MDE to other MDEs

7. Blasted missing references in MDEs

8. Free office 2003 - style libary

9. Icon Libary

10. DirectX Type Libary for Visual Basic

11. VB3.0 Access 2.0 & Windows 95 Upgrade

12. ADO Libary or ADO Data control?