Linking or Extracting .mpp data for using VBA ASP.Net
Author Message
 Linking or Extracting .mpp data for using VBA ASP.Net

Hi,

I am designing an ASP.Net intranet application using VBA
to link realtime to .mpp files and also to extract Task
data from .mpp file formats.

I need to perform the realtime link and the extraction
processes as a function initiated by the Project Office
application (written in ASP.Net VBA).

For the realtime link to the .mpp file, I am required to
perform retrieves and inserts.

For the extraction, I am required to transform the .mpp
data into MS Access and SQL2000 formats. The application
is an internal Project Office application.

Can anyone please give me direction or an approach so my
design team can investigate options?

Extremely grateful:)

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:09:53 GMT
 Linking or Extracting .mpp data for using VBA ASP.Net
This sounds very ambitious and intriguing.  I can offer a starting point:
Create the Microsoft Access copy of the project file using Project's
built-in method (File Save As/Microsoft Access).  Although it's been a few
years since I've done this, from there you can create a SQL Server version.
You'll want to have a look at how ODBC works with Project to continue
accessing the db copy.  You should also refer to projdb.htm, a file on your
installation of Project, to explain how the database is setup.

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am designing an ASP.Net intranet application using VBA
> to link realtime to .mpp files and also to extract Task
> data from .mpp file formats.

> I need to perform the realtime link and the extraction
> processes as a function initiated by the Project Office
> application (written in ASP.Net VBA).

> For the realtime link to the .mpp file, I am required to
> perform retrieves and inserts.

> For the extraction, I am required to transform the .mpp
> data into MS Access and SQL2000 formats. The application
> is an internal Project Office application.

> Can anyone please give me direction or an approach so my
> design team can investigate options?

> Extremely grateful:)

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:33:59 GMT
 Linking or Extracting .mpp data for using VBA ASP.Net
Thanks Rob,
I'll throw your advice into the Design Pit and we will
thrash ideas from there.
Regards
Trev
Quote:

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:55:06 GMT
 Linking or Extracting .mpp data for using VBA ASP.Net
Hi,

You can use OLEDB to read data directly from .mpp files, but it's read only.
Project 2002 offers more data to read than in Project 2000 (EG Project 2002
can read timephased data). However, the OLEDB driver for both versions is
read only. To write data to .mpp files you have to use OLE automation.

If OLE Automation isn't an option then you need to ignore .mpp files and
save the project files to SQL Server or an Access Database. Both can be
written to initially by using a DSN.
--
Rod Gill
Project MVP

Quote:
> Hi,

> I am designing an ASP.Net intranet application using VBA
> to link realtime to .mpp files and also to extract Task
> data from .mpp file formats.

> I need to perform the realtime link and the extraction
> processes as a function initiated by the Project Office
> application (written in ASP.Net VBA).

> For the realtime link to the .mpp file, I am required to
> perform retrieves and inserts.

> For the extraction, I am required to transform the .mpp
> data into MS Access and SQL2000 formats. The application
> is an internal Project Office application.

> Can anyone please give me direction or an approach so my
> design team can investigate options?

> Extremely grateful:)

Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:49:14 GMT

1. Using MS Data Shaping with OLE DB - data from more than one table in mpp file

2. Transferring data through internet in VB.net without using ASP.Net

3. using vb.net to extract data from ms access

4. Excel VBA using ADO to extract data from SQL Server

5. Using Asp.net to display links to files

6. ADO.NET with ASP.NET using VB.NET

7. Using VB/ASP.net to save user requested web data

8. Extract URL Links from Page, Navigate to these URL's and Extract E-Mail

9. ASP .Net using VB .Net Speed issue

10. Using VB.NET programming ASP.NET

11. Html editing in a asp.net project using vb.net

12. using vs.net for asp.net pages