Duplicate Value in primary key - problem
Author Message
 Duplicate Value in primary key - problem

Hi

I think I must be missing something very very obvious here, but would be
grateful of another perspective.

I have a table containing control names with the following structure

        questionnaire control id, counter, primarykey
        questionnaire id, long
        control name, text
        control type, integer

(Each questionnaire is comprised of a number of controls so the
questionnaire id field a relationship with another table as does the
counter field which points to another table detailing the properties of
each control)

The table is indexed, and the relevant properties of the control name field
are :  indexed (duplicates OK). This field is _not_ part of a relationship
with another table.

The problem

If I enter a new line and leave this field blank, it takes  - Great

If I enter the same line but put in a control name which is the same as a
previous control, I get the 'Duplicate Value in Index, Primary Key or
Relationship' error message. - Why as I've indexed and explicitly said that
duplicates are allowed and am not linking this to any other table via this
field

I'm sure I must be missing something, but could anyone give me a fresh
perspective on this

Many thanks

Simon

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Duplicate Value in Index/Primary Key Error

2. Trap duplicate value error in primary key

3. Trap duplicate value error in primary key relationship

4. Joined Primary Key in Foxpro (Make 1 Primary Key from 2 fields)

5. Primary Key Duplicate

6. Primary key duplicate error

7. Primary Key Duplicates?

8. duplicating primary key

9. Primary key duplicate error

10. Grabbing Highest Primary Key Value with ADO

11. Obtaining a new Primary Key Value

12. Create unique primary key values