GetObject() crashes when loading a word doc containing an ActiveX control
Author Message
 GetObject() crashes when loading a word doc containing an ActiveX control

Hello,
I use Word97/2000 and VBA macros.
I create a word document containing an  ActiveX control in it and save it as
"layout.doc" for example purpose. I have one template file in word  (.dot)
that loads this layout document. The VBA macro of the template calls
GetObject("layout.doc").
 The problem is the following:
when I create the layout file on one machine running Word97 and I copy this
file on another machine running Word2000+InternetExplorer5.5+ActiveDesktop
(seems correlated)  and try to load it with the template file, Word crashes
on the call to GetObject().

On other machines, the file transfer works fine.

Would you have any idea of what causes this bug?

Thanks a lot

Fabienne Lathuiliere

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 GetObject() crashes when loading a word doc containing an ActiveX control
The problem was caused by the security settings in Word2000. It was set to
high, which means that unsigned macros are automatically disabled. That was
the case when copying one file containing an ActiveX control from another
machine....
In that case, Word crashes without any message.
The security settings should be set to medium (warning messages will be
prompted) or low.
This problem does not appear with Word97 because macros are either enabled
or disabled.

Fabienne

Quote:

>Hello,
>I use Word97/2000 and VBA macros.
>I create a word document containing an  ActiveX control in it and save it
as
>"layout.doc" for example purpose. I have one template file in word  (.dot)
>that loads this layout document. The VBA macro of the template calls
>GetObject("layout.doc").
> The problem is the following:
>when I create the layout file on one machine running Word97 and I copy this
>file on another machine running Word2000+InternetExplorer5.5+ActiveDesktop
>(seems correlated)  and try to load it with the template file, Word crashes
>on the call to GetObject().

>On other machines, the file transfer works fine.

>Would you have any idea of what causes this bug?

>Thanks a lot

>Fabienne Lathuiliere

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. W2K Doesn't Load ActiveX Control But W98 and WXP Do Load ActiveX Control Correctly

2. VB5 crash on loading - ActiveX controls

3. ActiveX controls crashing when loaded in IE

4. Problem in VBA with ActiveX control that contains another ActiveX control

5. (Access/Word Merge) Automating Closing of Main Doc Containing Merge Codes

6. ActiveX controls scrolling with page in Word Doc

8. ActiveX Doc + App Setup Wizard = Crash!!!!!

9. Can ActiveX DLL component contain ActiveX control?

10. Help: Using the datarepeater control with an ActiveX control containing an embedded datacombo control

11. ActiveX Doc DLL vs ActiveX Doc EXE

12. ActiveX doc calling another ActiveX doc in Internet Explorer