Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
Author Message
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?

I am wondering if there is a way to send a message through an
alternate profile without triggering the Security Update popups?
I would like to do this using Redemption, Outlook's object model,
or a combination of the two.  What I mean by "alternate MAPI
profiles" is profiles saved on my system other than the one I
started Outlook with.  A dynamically created profile would be
preferable if that is possible.

Here is a scenario where I need this capability.  I'm using
Outlook 2000 in CW mode, no Exchange Server:

1) open a new message
2) click a toolbar button which runs a VBA procedure
3) the procedure code logs on to MAPI using a MAPI profile that
is different than the profile of the current user
4) send the message

This works for me except for the Security Update popups.  The
message arrives as having been sent by the default address of the
alternate saved MAPI profile.  I didn't see in the documentation
any way to pass an existing message to Redemption for
processing - only how to use Redemption to process a message that
it creates.

Thanks very much,
joebob

--
To reply directly, change the zeros in my email address to the
letter o.

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:30:45 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
No. Redemption piggybacks on an existing Outlook session. You can however create
a dynamic profile, make sure Outlook is not running, start Outlook and make it
use the newly created profile. Both Redemption and Outlook would work just fine;
the profile can then be deleted.
You can create a new temporary profile either by:
1. Creating a CDO session using a temporary profile, then starting Outlook - it
will pick up that profile
2. Use ProfMan library (comes with a distributable version of Redemption) - it
will let you silently create a profile, add an Exchange server to it and make it
default.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:
> I am wondering if there is a way to send a message through an
> alternate profile without triggering the Security Update popups?
> I would like to do this using Redemption, Outlook's object model,
> or a combination of the two.  What I mean by "alternate MAPI
> profiles" is profiles saved on my system other than the one I
> started Outlook with.  A dynamically created profile would be
> preferable if that is possible.

> Here is a scenario where I need this capability.  I'm using
> Outlook 2000 in CW mode, no Exchange Server:

> 1) open a new message
> 2) click a toolbar button which runs a VBA procedure
> 3) the procedure code logs on to MAPI using a MAPI profile that
> is different than the profile of the current user
> 4) send the message

> This works for me except for the Security Update popups.  The
> message arrives as having been sent by the default address of the
> alternate saved MAPI profile.  I didn't see in the documentation
> any way to pass an existing message to Redemption for
> processing - only how to use Redemption to process a message that
> it creates.

> Thanks very much,
> joebob

> --
> To reply directly, change the zeros in my email address to the
> letter o.

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 01:43:16 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
What about when Outlook is already running?  I start Outlook with
one profile but then want to send a message through another.
Aren't there any tools or techniques which will allow me to do
this without having to get rid of Security Update (reinstall
Outlook) or use some sendkeys crap?

Bottom line is, I want to be able to start Outlook with one
profile, but sometimes send messages as coming from different
email addresses than the current user's.  And I don't want "on
behalf of" addresses.  So far the only way I can do this is by
having Security Update throw up popup windows, or by going into
the Services/Delivery tab and changing the delivery order.

Are there no programmatic solutions?

Thanks

Quote:
> No. Redemption piggybacks on an existing Outlook session. You
can however create
> a dynamic profile, make sure Outlook is not running, start
Outlook and make it
> use the newly created profile. Both Redemption and Outlook

would work just fine;
Quote:
> the profile can then be deleted.
> You can create a new temporary profile either by:
> 1. Creating a CDO session using a temporary profile, then

starting Outlook - it
Quote:
> will pick up that profile
> 2. Use ProfMan library (comes with a distributable version of
Redemption) - it
> will let you silently create a profile, add an Exchange server
to it and make it
> default.

> Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> http://www.dimastr.com/
> OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> and MAPI Developer Tool

> > I am wondering if there is a way to send a message through an
> > alternate profile without triggering the Security Update
popups?
> > I would like to do this using Redemption, Outlook's object
model,
> > or a combination of the two.  What I mean by "alternate MAPI
> > profiles" is profiles saved on my system other than the one I
> > started Outlook with.  A dynamically created profile would be
> > preferable if that is possible.

> > Here is a scenario where I need this capability.  I'm using
> > Outlook 2000 in CW mode, no Exchange Server:

> > 1) open a new message
> > 2) click a toolbar button which runs a VBA procedure
> > 3) the procedure code logs on to MAPI using a MAPI profile
that
> > is different than the profile of the current user
> > 4) send the message

> > This works for me except for the Security Update popups.  The
> > message arrives as having been sent by the default address of
the
> > alternate saved MAPI profile.  I didn't see in the
documentation
> > any way to pass an existing message to Redemption for
> > processing - only how to use Redemption to process a message
that
> > it creates.

> > Thanks very much,
> > joebob

> > --
> > To reply directly, change the zeros in my email address to
the
> > letter o.

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 02:24:03 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
You cannot start multiple instances of Outlook  - if Outlook is already running
and you try to launch another instance, Outlook simply creates a new explorer -
there is still only one instance of Outlook.exe running (check with the task
manager).
You can start a different session with CDO and use CDO's Message object along
with SafeMailItem; it should work just fine.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:
> [...]

> > > 1) open a new message
> > > 2) click a toolbar button which runs a VBA procedure
> > > 3) the procedure code logs on to MAPI using a MAPI profile
> that
> > > is different than the profile of the current user
> > > 4) send the message

> > > This works for me except for the Security Update popups.  The
> > > message arrives as having been sent by the default address of
> the
> > > alternate saved MAPI profile.  I didn't see in the
> documentation
> > > any way to pass an existing message to Redemption for
> > > processing - only how to use Redemption to process a message
> that
> > > it creates.

> > > Thanks very much,
> > > joebob

> > > --
> > > To reply directly, change the zeros in my email address to

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:26:45 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
Now we're gettin' somewhere (hopefully) ;-).  How do I use CDO's
Message object along with SafeMailItem?  In other words, once I
use CDO's Message object how do I pass handling (i.e. sending) of
the message to SafeMailItem?

Thanks!

Quote:
> [...]

> > the Services/Delivery tab and changing the delivery order.

> > Are there no programmatic solutions?

> > Thanks

> > > No. Redemption piggybacks on an existing Outlook session.
You
> > can however create
> > > a dynamic profile, make sure Outlook is not running, start
> > Outlook and make it
> > > use the newly created profile. Both Redemption and Outlook
> > would work just fine;
> > > the profile can then be deleted.
> > > You can create a new temporary profile either by:
> > > 1. Creating a CDO session using a temporary profile, then
> > starting Outlook - it
> > > will pick up that profile
> > > 2. Use ProfMan library (comes with a distributable version
of
> > Redemption) - it
> > > will let you silently create a profile, add an Exchange

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 06:30:47 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
sMail.Item = YourCDOMessage
sMail.Send
CDOSession.DeliverNow

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:
> Now we're gettin' somewhere (hopefully) ;-).  How do I use CDO's
> Message object along with SafeMailItem?  In other words, once I
> use CDO's Message object how do I pass handling (i.e. sending) of
> the message to SafeMailItem?

> Thanks!

> > You cannot start multiple instances of Outlook  - if Outlook is
> already running
> > and you try to launch another instance, Outlook simply creates
> a new explorer -
> > there is still only one instance of Outlook.exe running (check
> with the task
> > manager).
> > You can start a different session with CDO and use CDO's
> Message object along
> > with SafeMailItem; it should work just fine.

> > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> > http://www.dimastr.com/
> > OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> > and MAPI Developer Tool

> > > What about when Outlook is already running?  I start Outlook
> with
> > > one profile but then want to send a message through another.
> > > Aren't there any tools or techniques which will allow me to
> do
> > > this without having to get rid of Security Update (reinstall
> > > Outlook) or use some sendkeys crap?

> > > Bottom line is, I want to be able to start Outlook with one
> > > profile, but sometimes send messages as coming from different
> > > email addresses than the current user's.  And I don't want
> "on
> > > behalf of" addresses.  So far the only way I can do this is
> by
> > > having Security Update throw up popup windows, or by going
> into
> > > the Services/Delivery tab and changing the delivery order.

> > > Are there no programmatic solutions?

> > > Thanks

> You
> > > can however create
> > > Outlook and make it
> > > would work just fine;
> > > starting Outlook - it
> of
> > > Redemption) - it
> server
> > > to it and make it

> through an
> > > popups?
> object
> > > model,
> MAPI
> one I
> would be

> using

> profile
> > > that

> The
> address of
> > > the
> > > documentation
> message
> > > that

> > > the

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:26:56 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
Very cool. I didn't know the Redemption Item could be a CDO Message.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions

Quote:

> set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
> sMail.Item = YourCDOMessage
> sMail.Send
> CDOSession.DeliverNow

> Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> http://www.dimastr.com/
> OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> and MAPI Developer Tool

> > Now we're gettin' somewhere (hopefully) ;-).  How do I use CDO's
> > Message object along with SafeMailItem?  In other words, once I
> > use CDO's Message object how do I pass handling (i.e. sending) of
> > the message to SafeMailItem?

> > Thanks!

> > > You cannot start multiple instances of Outlook  - if Outlook is
> > already running
> > > and you try to launch another instance, Outlook simply creates
> > a new explorer -
> > > there is still only one instance of Outlook.exe running (check
> > with the task
> > > manager).
> > > You can start a different session with CDO and use CDO's
> > Message object along
> > > with SafeMailItem; it should work just fine.

> > > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> > > http://www.dimastr.com/
> > > OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> > > and MAPI Developer Tool

> > with
> > do

> > "on
> > by
> > into

> > You
> > of
> > server

> > through an
> > object
> > MAPI
> > one I
> > would be

> > using

> > profile

> > The
> > address of
> > message

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:44:55 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
As long as the object is IDispatch'able and has a MAPIOBJECT property, most
things would work. In case of OOM items and CDO messages, MAPIOBJECT is
IMessage; that's all Redemption cares about.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Very cool. I didn't know the Redemption Item could be a CDO Message.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions
   at http://www.slipstick.com

Quote:
> set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
> sMail.Item = YourCDOMessage
> sMail.Send
> CDOSession.DeliverNow

> Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> http://www.dimastr.com/
> OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> and MAPI Developer Tool

> > Now we're gettin' somewhere (hopefully) ;-).  How do I use CDO's
> > Message object along with SafeMailItem?  In other words, once I
> > use CDO's Message object how do I pass handling (i.e. sending) of
> > the message to SafeMailItem?

> > Thanks!

> > > You cannot start multiple instances of Outlook  - if Outlook is
> > already running
> > > and you try to launch another instance, Outlook simply creates
> > a new explorer -
> > > there is still only one instance of Outlook.exe running (check
> > with the task
> > > manager).
> > > You can start a different session with CDO and use CDO's
> > Message object along
> > > with SafeMailItem; it should work just fine.

> > > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> > > http://www.dimastr.com/
> > > OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> > > and MAPI Developer Tool

> > with
> > do

> > "on
> > by
> > into

> > You
> > of
> > server

> > through an
> > object
> > MAPI
> > one I
> > would be

> > using

> > profile

> > The
> > address of
> > message

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 02:07:37 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
This is way cool!  Looking at my code below can somebody please
show me how to do two things:

1) logon with a dynamically created profile
2) logon with a saved profile

My code runs without error except I get prompted to choose the
profile ..

Thanks!

Sub mail_send()

Dim sMail
Dim objSession As MAPI.Session
Dim objMessage As MAPI.Message

Set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
Set objSession = CreateObject("MAPI.Session")
If Not objSession Is Nothing Then
   objSession.Logon , , True, True
End If
Set objMessage = objSession.Outbox.Messages.Add
objMessage.Subject = "test1"
objMessage.Text = "test2"
Set objRecipient = objMessage.Recipients.Add

objRecipient.Type = CdoTo
sMail.Item = objMessage
sMail.Recipients.ResolveAll
sMail.Send
objSession.DeliverNow
objSession.Logoff
Set objSession = Nothing
Set objMessage = Nothing
Set objRecipient = Nothing
Set sMail = Nothing

End Sub

Quote:
> As long as the object is IDispatch'able and has a MAPIOBJECT
property, most
> things would work. In case of OOM items and CDO messages,
MAPIOBJECT is
> IMessage; that's all Redemption cares about.

> Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> http://www.dimastr.com/
> OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> and MAPI Developer Tool

> Very cool. I didn't know the Redemption Item could be a CDO
Message.

> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
>    Outlook and Exchange Solutions
>    at http://www.slipstick.com

> > set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
> > sMail.Item = YourCDOMessage
> > sMail.Send
> > CDOSession.DeliverNow

> > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> > http://www.dimastr.com/
> > OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> > and MAPI Developer Tool

> > > Now we're gettin' somewhere (hopefully) ;-).  How do I use
CDO's
> > > Message object along with SafeMailItem?  In other words,
once I
> > > use CDO's Message object how do I pass handling (i.e.
sending) of
> > > the message to SafeMailItem?

> > > Thanks!

message

Outlook is
> > > already running
> > > a new explorer -
> > > with the task
> > > Message object along

Outlook
> > > with
> > > do
(reinstall

> > > "on
> > > by
> > > into
order.

message

> > > You
Outlook
> > > of
Exchange
> > > server

> > > through an
Update
> > > object
"alternate
> > > MAPI
> > > one I
profile
> > > would be

I'm
> > > using

procedure
> > > profile

> > > The
> > > address of
> > > message

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:18:46 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
Courtesy of "Professional CDO Programming":

1. objSession .Logon ProfileInfo:="MyExchServer" & vbLF & "MailBoxAlias"
2. objSession Logon ProfileName:="My profile name"

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:
> This is way cool!  Looking at my code below can somebody please
> show me how to do two things:

> 1) logon with a dynamically created profile
> 2) logon with a saved profile

> My code runs without error except I get prompted to choose the
> profile ..

> Thanks!

> Sub mail_send()

> Dim sMail
> Dim objSession As MAPI.Session
> Dim objMessage As MAPI.Message

> Set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
> Set objSession = CreateObject("MAPI.Session")
> If Not objSession Is Nothing Then
>    objSession.Logon , , True, True
> End If
> Set objMessage = objSession.Outbox.Messages.Add
> objMessage.Subject = "test1"
> objMessage.Text = "test2"
> Set objRecipient = objMessage.Recipients.Add

> objRecipient.Type = CdoTo
> sMail.Item = objMessage
> sMail.Recipients.ResolveAll
> sMail.Send
> objSession.DeliverNow
> objSession.Logoff
> Set objSession = Nothing
> Set objMessage = Nothing
> Set objRecipient = Nothing
> Set sMail = Nothing

> End Sub

> > As long as the object is IDispatch'able and has a MAPIOBJECT
> property, most
> > things would work. In case of OOM items and CDO messages,
> MAPIOBJECT is
> > IMessage; that's all Redemption cares about.

> > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> > http://www.dimastr.com/
> > OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> > and MAPI Developer Tool

> > Very cool. I didn't know the Redemption Item could be a CDO
> Message.

> > --
> > Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> >    Outlook and Exchange Solutions
> >    at http://www.slipstick.com

> > > set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
> [...]

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 09:00:13 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
Will the dynamic method work if there is no Exchange server?  If
not, is there another way to have a dynamic profile without
Exchange Server?

Thanks

Quote:
> Courtesy of "Professional CDO Programming":

> 1. objSession .Logon ProfileInfo:="MyExchServer" & vbLF &
"MailBoxAlias"
> 2. objSession Logon ProfileName:="My profile name"

> Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> http://www.dimastr.com/
> OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> and MAPI Developer Tool

> > This is way cool!  Looking at my code below can somebody
please
> > show me how to do two things:

> > 1) logon with a dynamically created profile
> > 2) logon with a saved profile

> > My code runs without error except I get prompted to choose
the
> > profile ..

> > Thanks!

> > Sub mail_send()

> > Dim sMail
> > Dim objSession As MAPI.Session
> > Dim objMessage As MAPI.Message

> > Set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
> > Set objSession = CreateObject("MAPI.Session")
> > If Not objSession Is Nothing Then
> >    objSession.Logon , , True, True
> > End If
> > Set objMessage = objSession.Outbox.Messages.Add
> > objMessage.Subject = "test1"
> > objMessage.Text = "test2"
> > Set objRecipient = objMessage.Recipients.Add

> > objRecipient.Type = CdoTo
> > sMail.Item = objMessage
> > sMail.Recipients.ResolveAll
> > sMail.Send
> > objSession.DeliverNow
> > objSession.Logoff
> > Set objSession = Nothing
> > Set objMessage = Nothing
> > Set objRecipient = Nothing
> > Set sMail = Nothing

> > End Sub

> > > As long as the object is IDispatch'able and has a
MAPIOBJECT
> > property, most
> > > things would work. In case of OOM items and CDO messages,
> > MAPIOBJECT is
> > > IMessage; that's all Redemption cares about.

> > > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> > > http://www.dimastr.com/
> > > OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> > > and MAPI Developer Tool

> > > Very cool. I didn't know the Redemption Item could be a CDO
> > Message.

> > > --
> > > Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> > >    Outlook and Exchange Solutions
> > >    at http://www.slipstick.com

message

> > CDO's
words,
> > once I
> > sending) of

> > message

> > Outlook is
simply
> > creates
running
> > (check
CDO's

> > Outlook
> > another.
> > me to
> > (reinstall

> > one
> > different
> > want
> > this is
> > going
> > order.

in
> > message

> > session.
running,
> > start
> > Outlook
profile,
> > then
distributable
> > version
> > Exchange

Security
> > Update
Outlook's
> > "alternate
> > the
> > profile

capability.
> > I'm

> > procedure
MAPI

Update
> > popups.
Redemption
> > for

> > address

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:16:13 GMT
 Can Redemption use alternate MAPI profiles?
No, dynamic profile only works with an Exchange server. The only tool I know of
which can build dynamic profiles programatically is ProfMan which is included
with a distributable copy of Redemption. It too won't however help you if you
want to use POP3/SMTP provider and PST: there is no documented way to
programmatically add a POP3/SMTP provider (adding PST is fine).

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Quote:
> Will the dynamic method work if there is no Exchange server?  If
> not, is there another way to have a dynamic profile without
> Exchange Server?

> Thanks

> > Courtesy of "Professional CDO Programming":

> > 1. objSession .Logon ProfileInfo:="MyExchServer" & vbLF &
> "MailBoxAlias"
> > 2. objSession Logon ProfileName:="My profile name"

> > Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
> > http://www.dimastr.com/
> > OutlookSpy  - Outlook, CDO
> > and MAPI Developer Tool

> > > This is way cool!  Looking at my code below can somebody
> please
> > > show me how to do two things:

> > > 1) logon with a dynamically created profile
> > > 2) logon with a saved profile

> > > My code runs without error except I get prompted to choose
> the
> > > profile ..

> > > Thanks!

> > > Sub mail_send()

> > > Dim sMail
> > > Dim objSession As MAPI.Session
> > > Dim objMessage As MAPI.Message

> > > Set sMail = CreateObject("Redemption.SafeMailItem")
> > > Set objSession = CreateObject("MAPI.Session")
> > > If Not objSession Is Nothing Then
> > >    objSession.Logon , , True, True
> > > End If
> > > Set objMessage = objSession.Outbox.Messages.Add
> > > objMessage.Subject = "test1"
> > > objMessage.Text = "test2"
> > > Set objRecipient = objMessage.Recipients.Add

> [...]

Tue, 16 Nov 2004 00:44:54 GMT

1. Send Mail using CDO or MAPI without using a profile

2. Modifying MAPI properties using CDO/Redemption

3. Mapi problem using multiple mailboxes/profiles..

4. Mapi Problem using multiple mailboxes/profiles..

5. Logon using default profiles for MAPI

6. getting default mail profile using MAPI control

7. Can a MAPI profile be created using VB?

8. Logon using default profiles for MAPI

9. VB4 MAPI Using Default Mail Profile

10. Can a MAPI profile be created using VB?

11. Can a MAPI profile be created using VB?

12. VB4 MAPI Using Default Mail Profile