Comm Port in/out
Author Message
 Comm Port in/out

Is it possible to read information from a serial port using VBA? If so can
anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to read data from a
device and load it into a table.
Thank you

TO reply via e-mail, change the xx in the address to bo.

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Comm Port in/out
Hi Bob,

    You need a third party control.  I think VB comes with one such control
and you may also want to search www.deja.com and http://www.mvps.org/rgrier/

    -- Dev

:
: TO reply via e-mail, change the xx in the address to bo.

Mon, 03 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Comm Port in/out
Thanks Dev,
It just occurred to me that years ago I wrote a program in Qbasic that
controlled a serial port device (code long since lost). I have to believe that
VB can do the same thing.
Given I could figure out how to do it in VB, is there  a way to use a in/out
VB routine  from Access?
Your web site <http://home.att.net/~dashish/> has given me many useful
routines to make my life easier, but this one is proving a real challenge.
Bob

Quote:

>Hi Bob,

>    You need a third party control.  I think VB comes with one such control
>and you may also want to search www.deja.com and http://www.mvps.org/rgrier/

>    -- Dev

>: Is it possible to read information from a serial port using VBA? If so can
>: anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to read data from a
>: device and load it into a table.

TO reply via e-mail, change the xx in the address to bo.

Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Comm Port in/out
Hi Bob,

: Given I could figure out how to do it in VB, is there  a way to use a
in/out
: VB routine  from Access?

 The only ways that I am aware of require you to use with MSComm control or
a third party one.  You cna of course use the API functiosn directly, but
that may be complex.

 -- Dev

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Comm Port in/out
Dev,
I found mscomm32.ocx on my Visual Basics CD and registered it with Access but,
when I try to use it, I'm told I don't have required license. As I do not want
to have to install VB. This probably  means I'm out of luck with this method?
In the mean time I found this one <http://members.aol.com/easyio/> which looks
like it will do the trick.
Thanks for your help
Bob

Quote:

>Hi Bob,

>: Given I could figure out how to do it in VB, is there  a way to use a
>in/out
>: VB routine  from Access?

> The only ways that I am aware of require you to use with MSComm control or
>a third party one.  You cna of course use the API functiosn directly, but
>that may be complex.

> -- Dev

TO reply via e-mail, change the xx in the address to bo.

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Comm Port in/out
Hi Bob,

    Correct, in order to have the licensing keys registered, you must
install the parent app with which the control ships.  Registering it merely
makes the OS aware of the control.  Dunno if I posted this already, but yoi
umay want to check out www.mvps.org/rgrier also.

    -- Dev

: Dev,
: I found mscomm32.ocx on my visual basics CD and registered it with Access
but,
: when I try to use it, I'm told I don't have required license. As I do not
want
: to have to install VB. This probably  means I'm out of luck with this
method?
: In the mean time I found this one <http://members.aol.com/easyio/> which
looks
: like it will do the trick.
: Thanks for your help
: Bob

: >Hi Bob,
: >

: >: Given I could figure out how to do it in VB, is there  a way to use a
: >in/out
: >: VB routine  from Access?
: >
: >
: > The only ways that I am aware of require you to use with MSComm control
or
: >a third party one.  You cna of course use the API functiosn directly, but
: >that may be complex.
: >
: > -- Dev
: >
:
: TO reply via e-mail, change the xx in the address to bo.

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Comm port access or I/O port access

2. How to loop comm port control to read text files through serial port in VB3

3. Comm Ports in 2.0 & Win 98

4. Getting data from Comm Port

5. Comm ports in Access

6. Need help reading data from comm port

7. Using the Comm Port

8. Comm Port

9. Accessing a comm port with VB.Net

10. Read Comm port information from Control Panel

11. accessing a comm port

12. How do I read a comm port?