Bind Form to a Recordset Object, rather than Table or Query?
Author Message
 Bind Form to a Recordset Object, rather than Table or Query?

I am working on an Access 97 application that links to a SQLServer 6.5
database via ODBC / DAO VBA code.  To minimize locking problems, I want to
avoid having any form fields bound directly to the remote database.  On the
other hand, I would like to be able to use some of Access's handy features,
such as the "continuous forms" which show multiple records without needing
to know how many records will be returned... The missing link is that I
don't know how to trick Access into binding a continuous form (which I guess
contains Arrays of controls that Access is hiding from me?)  to a data
structure other than a table or dynaset query.

Can anyone offer me a clue as to how to handle this?  I'm tempted to store
my data in a temporary local table, binding the form to that, then when the
user clicks save copy it back to the remote database.  I think there must be
a better way though...

Thanks,
Ed Butler.

Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Bind Form to a Recordset Object, rather than Table or Query?

Quote:

>Can anyone offer me a clue as to how to handle this?  I'm tempted to store
>my data in a temporary local table, binding the form to that, then when the
>user clicks save copy it back to the remote database.  I think there must be
>a better way though...

I think you identified one of the best ways to deal with remote data.
Copy the data to local tables, bind your form recordset to the local
table, use either temporary tables to post the updates back to SQL
Server.

Steve

Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Binding to a recordset rather than an datactl

2. Querying two recordset objects or Joining tables from different datastores

3. querying a query(recordset object) [ADO]

4. querying a query(recordset object) [ADO]

5. binding to a query-based DE recordset

6. Identifying which cell your mouse is over in a table bound to a recordset

7. DHTML binding recordset to table in VB code

8. Bind a recordset to an HTML table

9. Recordset & Bound Object Frame

10. Combo box bound to ADO recordset object?

11. Combo box bound to ADO Recordset object?

12. Binding Label Object to RecordSet in code