getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!) 
Author Message
 getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!)

I have a split database, works great
I had password protected the backend database so no one would much with my
tables.
Today I needed to change a table structure...
and I have forgotten the password!!!!!!!
I tried looking under the linked tables' properties but it won't give me the
password there.
I tried all the passwords I usually use, none worked.

And I didn't write it down, stupid move I know.
Is there anyway to write a code snippet that would return the password?
Since the table links work fine I was hoping I could write some VBA in the
frontend which would return my password to me.

ideas?
help?

thanks,
Sasha



Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:04:47 GMT  
 getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!)
Michael Kaplan has posted this at his web site:  www.trigeminal.com

--

Dirk Goldgar
www.datagnostics.com
(to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)

Quote:

>I have a split database, works great
>I had password protected the backend database so no one would much with my
>tables.
>Today I needed to change a table structure...
>and I have forgotten the password!!!!!!!
>I tried looking under the linked tables' properties but it won't give me
the
>password there.
>I tried all the passwords I usually use, none worked.

>And I didn't write it down, stupid move I know.
>Is there anyway to write a code snippet that would return the password?
>Since the table links work fine I was hoping I could write some VBA in the
>frontend which would return my password to me.

>ideas?
>help?

>thanks,
>Sasha



Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:38:55 GMT  
 getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!)
Your database is in Access ?

If yes you can use MS Access Workgroup Administrator and join or create
another mdw file.

I hope this help.

Luis Miguel.



Quote:
> I have a split database, works great
> I had password protected the backend database so no one would much with my
> tables.
> Today I needed to change a table structure...
> and I have forgotten the password!!!!!!!
> I tried looking under the linked tables' properties but it won't give me
the
> password there.
> I tried all the passwords I usually use, none worked.

> And I didn't write it down, stupid move I know.
> Is there anyway to write a code snippet that would return the password?
> Since the table links work fine I was hoping I could write some VBA in the
> frontend which would return my password to me.

> ideas?
> help?

> thanks,
> Sasha



Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:11:37 GMT  
 getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!)
OK, I got the code, many thanks.
the function returns
?a
for the password!
not sure WHAT that is.

So I did an opendatabase using connection info
had the password set to a variable which  gets its value from the function
you referred me to.
all goes well except I get 'invalid password'
when I have the value of the password variable print in the debug window, it
is the same ?a
so what is up??

Thinking perhaps I should just copy the tables in my front end, then put
them in a new database and make THAT the backend.

This will teach me to misplace passwords!!

SBF


Quote:
> Michael Kaplan has posted this at his web site:  www.trigeminal.com

> --

> Dirk Goldgar
> www.datagnostics.com
> (to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)


> >I have a split database, works great
> >I had password protected the backend database so no one would much with
my
> >tables.
> >Today I needed to change a table structure...
> >and I have forgotten the password!!!!!!!
> >I tried looking under the linked tables' properties but it won't give me
> the
> >password there.
> >I tried all the passwords I usually use, none worked.

> >And I didn't write it down, stupid move I know.
> >Is there anyway to write a code snippet that would return the password?
> >Since the table links work fine I was hoping I could write some VBA in
the
> >frontend which would return my password to me.

> >ideas?
> >help?

> >thanks,
> >Sasha



Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:39:52 GMT  
 getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!)
That's weird.  I've used that code before and it worked for me.  That was
with an Access 97 database;  are you using Access 2000?  I don't know
whether it works for A2K or not; maybe MichKa mentions that on his web site.

--

Dirk Goldgar
www.datagnostics.com
(to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)

Quote:

>OK, I got the code, many thanks.
>the function returns
>?a
>for the password!
>not sure WHAT that is.

>So I did an opendatabase using connection info
>had the password set to a variable which  gets its value from the function
>you referred me to.
>all goes well except I get 'invalid password'
>when I have the value of the password variable print in the debug window,
it
>is the same ?a
>so what is up??

>Thinking perhaps I should just copy the tables in my front end, then put
>them in a new database and make THAT the backend.

>This will teach me to misplace passwords!!

>SBF



>> Michael Kaplan has posted this at his web site:  www.trigeminal.com

>> --

>> Dirk Goldgar
>> www.datagnostics.com
>> (to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)


>> >I have a split database, works great
>> >I had password protected the backend database so no one would much with
>my
>> >tables.
>> >Today I needed to change a table structure...
>> >and I have forgotten the password!!!!!!!
>> >I tried looking under the linked tables' properties but it won't give me
>> the
>> >password there.
>> >I tried all the passwords I usually use, none worked.

>> >And I didn't write it down, stupid move I know.
>> >Is there anyway to write a code snippet that would return the password?
>> >Since the table links work fine I was hoping I could write some VBA in
>the
>> >frontend which would return my password to me.

>> >ideas?
>> >help?

>> >thanks,
>> >Sasha



Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:44:27 GMT  
 getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!)
guess I did forget to mention the version
I am using Access 2000.
the website said that Jet version 4.0 is much harder than 3.0 or 3.5 to
crack. what version of the jet am I dealing with?

thanks,
sbf


Quote:
> That's weird.  I've used that code before and it worked for me.  That was
> with an Access 97 database;  are you using Access 2000?  I don't know
> whether it works for A2K or not; maybe MichKa mentions that on his web
site.

> --

> Dirk Goldgar
> www.datagnostics.com
> (to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)


> >OK, I got the code, many thanks.
> >the function returns
> >?a
> >for the password!
> >not sure WHAT that is.

> >So I did an opendatabase using connection info
> >had the password set to a variable which  gets its value from the
function
> >you referred me to.
> >all goes well except I get 'invalid password'
> >when I have the value of the password variable print in the debug window,
> it
> >is the same ?a
> >so what is up??

> >Thinking perhaps I should just copy the tables in my front end, then put
> >them in a new database and make THAT the backend.

> >This will teach me to misplace passwords!!

> >SBF



> >> Michael Kaplan has posted this at his web site:  www.trigeminal.com

> >> --

> >> Dirk Goldgar
> >> www.datagnostics.com
> >> (to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)


> >> >I have a split database, works great
> >> >I had password protected the backend database so no one would much
with
> >my
> >> >tables.
> >> >Today I needed to change a table structure...
> >> >and I have forgotten the password!!!!!!!
> >> >I tried looking under the linked tables' properties but it won't give
me
> >> the
> >> >password there.
> >> >I tried all the passwords I usually use, none worked.

> >> >And I didn't write it down, stupid move I know.
> >> >Is there anyway to write a code snippet that would return the
password?
> >> >Since the table links work fine I was hoping I could write some VBA in
> >the
> >> >frontend which would return my password to me.

> >> >ideas?
> >> >help?

> >> >thanks,
> >> >Sasha



Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:58:42 GMT  
 getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!)
Uh-oh.  I think A2K uses Jet 4.0,which MichKa says he has no intention of
cracking for you.

--

Dirk Goldgar
www.datagnostics.com
(to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)

Quote:

>guess I did forget to mention the version
>I am using Access 2000.
>the website said that Jet version 4.0 is much harder than 3.0 or 3.5 to
>crack. what version of the jet am I dealing with?

>thanks,
>sbf



Wed, 05 Nov 2003 03:18:47 GMT  
 getting a password via code (I feel so stupid about this!)
well, I can understand that.
Fortunatley we're only talking about 8 tables and the ghighest number of
records is 9000 in one.
So it wasn't too awful to copy the tables and re-split the thing.
For now I'm leaving it unprotected...
but I'll write the password down next time!

thanks for your advice!
Sasha


Quote:
> Uh-oh.  I think A2K uses Jet 4.0,which MichKa says he has no intention of
> cracking for you.

> --

> Dirk Goldgar
> www.datagnostics.com
> (to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)


> >guess I did forget to mention the version
> >I am using Access 2000.
> >the website said that Jet version 4.0 is much harder than 3.0 or 3.5 to
> >crack. what version of the jet am I dealing with?

> >thanks,
> >sbf



Wed, 05 Nov 2003 03:34:23 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. I feel so stupid, but.....

2. I feel stupid: "Too few parameters..."

3. I feel stupid -problems showing a second form (Vb.Net)

4. i feel stupid, help me!

5. Feeling really stupid (vb6 question)

6. Feeling Stupid

7. Opening a Database That Has a Password (Via Code) at Run Time

8. Password via Code ├╝bergeben

9. mciSendCommand( ) Getting it to play two coded wav files via 2 SNBlasters

10. Changing password in Oracle using PASSWORD command via VB app

11. Changing password in Oracle using PASSWORD command via VB app

12. Ms Access 97 with password gets a vb5 error invalid password

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software