Retaining styles in table cells when deleting table
Author Message
 Retaining styles in table cells when deleting table

Hello all

Wasn't sure where to post this as I think it's somewhere between tables and
userforms.

Using Windows 98, Office 97 SR-2.

I have a template which creates a document with a table of data based on the
output from a userform.  Users can edit the data in the table by clicking a
toolbar button, upon which event a new userform is created, extracting the
data from the table to allow editing.  When the user has finished making
changes, the table is deleted and a new one created to hold the new data.
(The reason for deleting and recreating the table is that there are not
guaranteed to be the same number of rows in the new table and the order of
the data may be altered or the data may be deleted)

I would like to know if there is a way of retaining any style/font changes
that have been made to the data in individual cells, e.g. if the user
manually selects the contents of the first cell and makes the text bold and
underlined can this be retained with the text?  I guess I'm asking if there
is any way to record the style properties of a cell's contents so that, when
the data is added to the new table, any original text retains it's style?

Any help would, as always, be gratefully received.

--
Denise Crawley

Fri, 09 Apr 2004 18:12:48 GMT
 Retaining styles in table cells when deleting table
What you're talking about is not "style" but "direct formatting." Ordinarily
I would say this was *more* likely to be retained than a style, but if
you're round-tripping it through a UserForm, I think you'll find you lose it
without extra VBA to retain it. For this reason, you're more likely to get
the answer from one of the VBA gurus.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft Word MVP

Quote:
> Hello all

> Wasn't sure where to post this as I think it's somewhere between tables
and
> userforms.

> Using Windows 98, Office 97 SR-2.

> I have a template which creates a document with a table of data based on
the
> output from a userform.  Users can edit the data in the table by clicking
> toolbar button, upon which event a new userform is created, extracting the
> data from the table to allow editing.  When the user has finished making
> changes, the table is deleted and a new one created to hold the new data.
> (The reason for deleting and recreating the table is that there are not
> guaranteed to be the same number of rows in the new table and the order of
> the data may be altered or the data may be deleted)

> I would like to know if there is a way of retaining any style/font changes
> that have been made to the data in individual cells, e.g. if the user
> manually selects the contents of the first cell and makes the text bold
and
> underlined can this be retained with the text?  I guess I'm asking if
there
> is any way to record the style properties of a cell's contents so that,
when
> the data is added to the new table, any original text retains it's style?

> Any help would, as always, be gratefully received.

> --
> Denise Crawley

Fri, 09 Apr 2004 21:26:58 GMT
 Retaining styles in table cells when deleting table
Hi, Denise,

I'll preface this by saying that almost *anything* is possible if you're
willing to put enough effort into it. To quote an old chestnut, though, just
because something can be done doesn't mean it should be done.

If the applied formatting really was a style, as set up in Format/Style
(either a paragraph style or a character style, but you'd need to require
that it be applied to the entire cell), then it would be fairly simple to
record the name of the style and reapply it to the same cell(s). Then the
complications start... If the rows are reordered, do you want the style to
stay with the data, in which case you'd have to track its new position, or
do you want it to be in the same cell but with the new data? Either way,
it's possible and not terribly difficult.

If the formatting is direct, the way you described it, then you're in deep
doodoo. Direct character formatting can be done character by character --
for example, the third character could be made bold, the fourth one bold and
underlined, and the fifth one in a different font. Do you mean to track
*all* possible formatting of *each* character in *every* cell, and determine
whether the same data needs to be formatted the same way in some other row
after reordering? That would be a horrendous job. It could be simplified if
you assume that whatever formatting is applied to the first character of the
cell will be applied to the whole cell; then it's a little more complicated
than applying a style, but still not too bad. (In fact, you could define a
new character style to match that first character, and then apply that to
the whole cell.)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Quote:
> What you're talking about is not "style" but "direct formatting."
Ordinarily
> I would say this was *more* likely to be retained than a style, but if
> you're round-tripping it through a UserForm, I think you'll find you lose
it
> without extra VBA to retain it. For this reason, you're more likely to get
> the answer from one of the VBA gurus.

> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft Word MVP
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, AL USA

> > Hello all

> > Wasn't sure where to post this as I think it's somewhere between tables
> and
> > userforms.

> > Using Windows 98, Office 97 SR-2.

> > I have a template which creates a document with a table of data based on
> the
> > output from a userform.  Users can edit the data in the table by
clicking
> > toolbar button, upon which event a new userform is created, extracting
the
> > data from the table to allow editing.  When the user has finished making
> > changes, the table is deleted and a new one created to hold the new
data.
> > (The reason for deleting and recreating the table is that there are not
> > guaranteed to be the same number of rows in the new table and the order
of
> > the data may be altered or the data may be deleted)

> > I would like to know if there is a way of retaining any style/font
changes
> > that have been made to the data in individual cells, e.g. if the user
> > manually selects the contents of the first cell and makes the text bold
> and
> > underlined can this be retained with the text?  I guess I'm asking if
> there
> > is any way to record the style properties of a cell's contents so that,
> when
> > the data is added to the new table, any original text retains it's
style?

> > Any help would, as always, be gratefully received.

> > --
> > Denise Crawley

Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:32:30 GMT
 Retaining styles in table cells when deleting table
Thanks for that, Jay.  It's got the old braincells ticking along nicely now.

Unfortunately, I do need to go down the "direct formatting" path (I really
should learn the correct terminology for things in Word...) but I think I
can get away with assuming that the formatting will be the same throughout
the entire cell.  I've come up with the idea of putting a marker in the
array that holds the table's data, so that I can record what formatting has
been applied to each cell (e.g. bold, bold underline, etc.).  I do need the
formatting to "follow" the data to its new location - the data may or may
not end up in the same cell.  Fortunately, only the basic formatting
"styles" will be used as we're very strict on heading styles, etc.  If
anyone decides to add their own formatting I will, indeed, be in deep doodoo
;o)

Thanks again

--
Denise Crawley

Quote:
> [...]

order
> of
> > > the data may be altered or the data may be deleted)

> > > I would like to know if there is a way of retaining any style/font
> changes
> > > that have been made to the data in individual cells, e.g. if the user
> > > manually selects the contents of the first cell and makes the text
bold
> > and
> > > underlined can this be retained with the text?  I guess I'm asking if
> > there
> > > is any way to record the style properties of a cell's contents so
that,
> > when
> > > the data is added to the new table, any original text retains it's
> style?

> > > Any help would, as always, be gratefully received.

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:44:01 GMT
 Retaining styles in table cells when deleting table
You could try saving the ranges, that should save text + styling.

Steve H.

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:12:48 +0100, "Denise"

Quote:

>Hello all

>Wasn't sure where to post this as I think it's somewhere between tables and
>userforms.

>Using Windows 98, Office 97 SR-2.

>I have a template which creates a document with a table of data based on the
>output from a userform.  Users can edit the data in the table by clicking a
>toolbar button, upon which event a new userform is created, extracting the
>data from the table to allow editing.  When the user has finished making
>changes, the table is deleted and a new one created to hold the new data.
>(The reason for deleting and recreating the table is that there are not
>guaranteed to be the same number of rows in the new table and the order of
>the data may be altered or the data may be deleted)

>I would like to know if there is a way of retaining any style/font changes
>that have been made to the data in individual cells, e.g. if the user
>manually selects the contents of the first cell and makes the text bold and
>underlined can this be retained with the text?  I guess I'm asking if there
>is any way to record the style properties of a cell's contents so that, when
>the data is added to the new table, any original text retains it's style?

>Any help would, as always, be gratefully received.

Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:34:10 GMT

1. Deleting empty lines in single cell table

2. DELETED tables cause error on table Connect?

3. deleting tables and updating table name

4. DELETING TABLE, CREATING NEW TABLE

5. Cannot add record to Visual Foxpro table after deleting all records in table

6. create table and delete table with ADO

7. Deleted records when text file is linked as table (#deleted)

8. .Delete Deletes From BOTH Joind Tables - Help!

9. reading from a table cell?

10. Multiple Cell Selection in a MS Word Table

11. access cells in the tables

12. better way? autotext in table cells