Copy read-only liked tables
Author Message
 Copy read-only liked tables

Hello,
I have a read-ony linked table to a Oracle db.  I am
trying to make a copy of the linked table so that I can do
some manipulation on the data for calculations that I have
to perform.  I am trying to make a local copy of the
linked table in VBA so that I can make those manipulations
with out accessing the read-only linked table.  I have
tried DoCmd.CopyObject, DoCmd.TransferDatabase methods but
everytime I try it only creates another linked table that
I don't have update righs to.  Is there a way to make a
local copy of a linked table so that I can utilize it for
updating and editing? Then to delete that local copy once
I am done using it?

Thanks in advance for you help,
Michael Henry

Sat, 10 Jul 2004 06:56:29 GMT
 Copy read-only liked tables
Make a new query based on the linked table.

Selects all fields. (Use the * from the field list.)

Convert it to a make table query from the Query menu.

At this point it will ask for a name. Make something up this isn't being used.

Run the query with the red ! on the tool bar or from the Query menu.

Like magic, you have a local table that looks like the linked table that you can do whatever you want to without touching the
original data.

--

Sco

M.L. "Sco" Scofield, MCSD, MCT, MCP, MSS, Access MVP
Useful Metric Conversion #12 of 19: 10 millipedes = 1 centipede
Miscellaneous Access and VB "stuff" at www.ScoBiz.com

Quote:

> Hello,
> I have a read-ony linked table to a Oracle db.  I am
> trying to make a copy of the linked table so that I can do
> some manipulation on the data for calculations that I have
> to perform.  I am trying to make a local copy of the
> linked table in VBA so that I can make those manipulations
> with out accessing the read-only linked table.  I have
> tried DoCmd.CopyObject, DoCmd.TransferDatabase methods but
> everytime I try it only creates another linked table that
> I don't have update righs to.  Is there a way to make a
> local copy of a linked table so that I can utilize it for
> updating and editing? Then to delete that local copy once
> I am done using it?

> Thanks in advance for you help,
> Michael Henry

Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:53:41 GMT
 Copy read-only liked tables
Hi

I have a similar problem to Micheal but am trying to create two ado objects
to move one table from one database to another.
What would be the most efficient way of creating the replica table in
another database.???

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Colin

Quote:
> Make a new query based on the linked table.

> Selects all fields. (Use the * from the field list.)

> Convert it to a make table query from the Query menu.

> At this point it will ask for a name. Make something up this isn't being
used.

> Run the query with the red ! on the tool bar or from the Query menu.

> Like magic, you have a local table that looks like the linked table that

you can do whatever you want to without touching the
Quote:
> original data.

> --

> Sco

> M.L. "Sco" Scofield, MCSD, MCT, MCP, MSS, Access MVP
> Useful Metric Conversion #12 of 19: 10 millipedes = 1 centipede
> Miscellaneous Access and VB "stuff" at www.ScoBiz.com

Quote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a read-ony linked table to a Oracle db.  I am
> > trying to make a copy of the linked table so that I can do
> > some manipulation on the data for calculations that I have
> > to perform.  I am trying to make a local copy of the
> > linked table in VBA so that I can make those manipulations
> > with out accessing the read-only linked table.  I have
> > tried DoCmd.CopyObject, DoCmd.TransferDatabase methods but
> > everytime I try it only creates another linked table that
> > I don't have update righs to.  Is there a way to make a
> > local copy of a linked table so that I can utilize it for
> > updating and editing? Then to delete that local copy once
> > I am done using it?

> > Thanks in advance for you help,
> > Michael Henry

Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:34:55 GMT

1. Copy tables from a read only DB

2. Copy tables from a read only DB

3. Copying DBGrid contents to clipboard (Or copying a table from a Data component to clipboard)

4. Copy fields from record in table A to record in table B using VBA

5. Copy Record from Table 1 to Table 2 - Acc97 - VBA

6. HowTo Copy a Recordset from a Table to an identically structured table

7. Copying the structure of a table to a new table

8. Copying Table text to tables

9. Copy a Table to another Table

10. Copying table definition to create new table

11. Copy a Table to another Table

12. copy dbase table to access table