Outlook View Control Folder to a subfolder
Author Message
 Outlook View Control Folder to a subfolder

I am using the Outlook View Control and can successfully
change folders by setting the .folder property of the
control (provided the folder is at the root level).  How
does one specify a subfolder in such a control.

(e.g.
[OutlookViewControl].folder = "Inbox"
[OutlookViewControl].folder = "Sent Items"
[OutlookViewControl].folder = "My Mail"

all work provided they are at the same level.

I want to view a folder within the Inbox and don't know
the syntax of how to reference a folder within a folder
(e.g.

[OutlookViewControl].folder = "Inbox.My Mail" where My
Mail is a subfolder of the Inbox.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:17:40 GMT
 Outlook View Control Folder to a subfolder
You're awfully close, but you need to include the root folder:  "\\Personal
Folders\Inbox\My Mail" or "\\Mailbox - Ed Dolikian\Inbox\My Mail" depending
on what the name of the root folder  is.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

> I am using the Outlook View Control and can successfully
> change folders by setting the .folder property of the
> control (provided the folder is at the root level).  How
> does one specify a subfolder in such a control.

> (e.g.
> [OutlookViewControl].folder = "Inbox"
> [OutlookViewControl].folder = "Sent Items"
> [OutlookViewControl].folder = "My Mail"

> all work provided they are at the same level.

> I want to view a folder within the Inbox and don't know
> the syntax of how to reference a folder within a folder
> (e.g.

> [OutlookViewControl].folder = "Inbox.My Mail" where My
> Mail is a subfolder of the Inbox.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 02:28:32 GMT
 Outlook View Control Folder to a subfolder
I left out an important fact.  I am NOT using a web based
mailbox but rather a PST file stored on my local machine.
How does one reference a particular folder in this instance

(e.g. c:\somedirectory\outlook.pst\inbox\my mail   ).

FYI, what I am attempting to do is simulate the Outlook
Bar within an Access application.  When a user clicks on
an Icon, I want to show contents of a specific folder
within the Outlook View Control.

Lastly, I have been reading that this control exposes
unsafe functionality.  Is there an alternative?  Read only
access would be fine (although) the ability to forward,
delete, etc... would be nice in this instance.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Quote:

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 19:20:34 GMT
 Outlook View Control Folder to a subfolder
The location of the PST file on the hard drive is not relevant. The only
thing that matters is the path in the folder hierarchy that you see in
Outlook's Folder List. The default name for the top level if you are using a
PST  file is Personal Folders; therefore, that's what's listed in the
example in my previous post. If you are using a different name, you'll need
to use that as the first folder in the path.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming Jumpstart - coming September 2002

> I left out an important fact.  I am NOT using a web based
> mailbox but rather a PST file stored on my local machine.
> How does one reference a particular folder in this instance

> (e.g. c:\somedirectory\outlook.pst\inbox\my mail   ).

> FYI, what I am attempting to do is simulate the Outlook
> Bar within an Access application.  When a user clicks on
> an Icon, I want to show contents of a specific folder
> within the Outlook View Control.

> Lastly, I have been reading that this control exposes
> unsafe functionality.  Is there an alternative?  Read only
> access would be fine (although) the ability to forward,
> delete, etc... would be nice in this instance.

> Thanks for your prompt reply.

Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:06:45 GMT
 Outlook View Control Folder to a subfolder
I left out an important fact.  I am attempting to display
a folder on my local machine in the Outlook View Control.
Assuming that my PST file is in a directory called
c:\somedir\outlook.pst and I am trying to reference a
folder which is a subdirectory of my inbox (e.g. Inbox\My
Mail), how would I reference this folder in the Folders
property of the Outlook View Control.

Quote:

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 09:31:35 GMT
 Outlook View Control Folder to a subfolder
You need to determine the name of the root folder -- the folder at the top
of the hierarchy in the Folder List. Then follow my earlier instructions.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of
     Microsoft Outlook Programming Jumpstart - coming September 2002

> I left out an important fact.  I am attempting to display
> a folder on my local machine in the Outlook View Control.
> Assuming that my PST file is in a directory called
> c:\somedir\outlook.pst and I am trying to reference a
> folder which is a subdirectory of my inbox (e.g. Inbox\My
> Mail), how would I reference this folder in the Folders
> property of the Outlook View Control.

Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:23:10 GMT

1. Outlook View Control - subfolders

2. Outlook View control - accessing folders other than Default Folder

3. Outlook 98 view subfolders of delagates inbox

4. Public Folder home page with Outlook View Control and Restriction problem

5. Outlook View Control & Folder Home Page

6. Outlook View Control Folder Property

7. Team Folders and Outlook View Control

8. Search a folder and return all subfolders in that folder

9. outlook view control and views/filters

10. Changing the calendar view in a Outlook view control

11. Change view in Outlook View Control (OVC)

12. Outlook View Control disappears after viewing item