Outlook Group/Sort Question.
Author Message
 Outlook Group/Sort Question.

I'm using Outlook 2002. I want to develop a new "custom view" that will show
emails in much the same way as a group thread does.

I want emails to be sorted by date first, but if an email has the same
subject then group them all together with the latest email at the top and
that email being the one that determines where the rest of the emails get
sorted.

Example:
I have an empty inbox.
I get one email with a subject of TEST at 10:01 AM.
I get a second email with a subject of TESTING at 10:02 AM.

Now TESTING is above TEST because it is most recent.
I get a third email with a subject of TEST at 10:04 AM.

Now TEST is above TESTING because TEST has an email that is more recent than
what TESTING has.

Basically I always want my most recent email at the top of the list so I can
easily see it.
But I also want the emails with the same subject grouped so my inbox doesn't
become so cluttered.

Having said this, I hate the way outlook has the group by done because it:
wastes an entire line with the subject header and you can't sort by a
different field overall.

If I could sort by date and group by subject it would kindof be what I want
except that the group-by
wastes an extra line. However it would be kindof cool if secondary emails in
the same thread were grayed out or something.

Anyone have any idea where or how to start? :-)

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:27:36 GMT
 Outlook Group/Sort Question.
Have you looked at the By Conversation view? That's the closest you're going
to come, I think, at least until Outlook 11 comes out. Its conversation view
does exactly what you describe and more.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

> I'm using Outlook 2002. I want to develop a new "custom view" that will
show
> emails in much the same way as a group thread does.

> I want emails to be sorted by date first, but if an email has the same
> subject then group them all together with the latest email at the top and
> that email being the one that determines where the rest of the emails get
> sorted.

> Example:
> I have an empty inbox.
> I get one email with a subject of TEST at 10:01 AM.
> I get a second email with a subject of TESTING at 10:02 AM.

> Now TESTING is above TEST because it is most recent.
> I get a third email with a subject of TEST at 10:04 AM.

> Now TEST is above TESTING because TEST has an email that is more recent
than
> what TESTING has.

> Basically I always want my most recent email at the top of the list so I
can
> easily see it.
> But I also want the emails with the same subject grouped so my inbox
doesn't
> become so cluttered.

> Having said this, I hate the way outlook has the group by done because it:
> wastes an entire line with the subject header and you can't sort by a
> different field overall.

> If I could sort by date and group by subject it would kindof be what I
want
> except that the group-by
> wastes an extra line. However it would be kindof cool if secondary emails
in
> the same thread were grayed out or something.

> Anyone have any idea where or how to start? :-)

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:36:25 GMT

1. grouping and sort order question

2. Can't sort Outlook Personal Folder using Items.Sort

3. Sorting and Grouping Reports with VB

4. access report sorting / grouping in VBA?

5. Report grouping and sorting - Acc 97

6. Close sorting/grouping box

7. Close sorting/grouping box

8. Sort By Value in Group Footer Control

9. Sorting/grouping dialog is not visible

10. Sort By Value In Group Footer Control

11. Sorting and Grouping Box

12. sorting and grouping from sub report recordsource