Slow Outlook Custom Form Loading & Executing
Author Message
 Slow Outlook Custom Form Loading & Executing

I wonder if any one can help me with the performance of a very large
custom outlook form  that was written for me a little while ago.

This has around 7 "tabbed" pages of information containing nearly 300
fields with the Data being stored in an Exchange public folder. The
form has around 2000 lines of VBS code behind it.

The form takes anything up to 5 minutes to load and process the code,
even on a Pentium III PC with 512 Megabytes of memory.

The Exchange server is being run on a somewhat elderly Pentium II 233
Mhz Dell Poweredge Server with a SCSI hardware RAID 5 system.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to speed up the operation of
this form and or anybody who could undertake such a task for me.

Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:16:16 GMT
 Slow Outlook Custom Form Loading & Executing
Well, 300 fields is about the maximum that should ever be used on an Outlook
form.  Although I do have a form with 2000 lines of code behind it that
opens pretty quickly.  What is the form doing when it opens?  Is it querying
a database?  Is it dependent on other resources?  I'd look at what the code
is in the Item_Open event and see if there is something there that might be
causing the problem.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP

~Please post all replies to the newsgroup~

Quote:
> I wonder if any one can help me with the performance of a very large
> custom outlook form  that was written for me a little while ago.

> This has around 7 "tabbed" pages of information containing nearly 300
> fields with the Data being stored in an Exchange public folder. The
> form has around 2000 lines of VBS code behind it.

> The form takes anything up to 5 minutes to load and process the code,
> even on a Pentium III PC with 512 Megabytes of memory.

> The Exchange server is being run on a somewhat elderly Pentium II 233
> Mhz Dell Poweredge Server with a SCSI hardware RAID 5 system.

> Can anyone give me some advice on how to speed up the operation of
> this form and or anybody who could undertake such a task for me.

Mon, 22 Nov 2004 00:26:48 GMT
 Slow Outlook Custom Form Loading & Executing
Many thanks for your posting in reply to my original message.

Essentially the form is designed to manage an Fork Lift Truck sales
order workflow process.

It stores all its data/info in 4 public folders:

TOPS - Main data folder including virtually all information about the
order.

TRADE-INS - data on Fork trucks being traded back from our customer -
in separate folder as we can trade back more than one truck for every
truck we sell.

STAFF DETAILS - Really a copy version of our GAL, to allow the
workflow to address taks/messages to job finctions/groups instead of
individuals.  Maybe using DL's in the GAL would be better.

ALERTS - this holds all the details of the individual stategs in the
workflow.  It is essentially a if-then statement recording mechanism.
The "then" part may be a message or an assigned task

The workflow relies on users updating fields (primarily milestone
dates) which are completion dates of a task originally sent by the
system, on the TOPS form, which when saved, may trigger fresh
alerts/tasks.

Quote:
> Well, 300 fields is about the maximum that should ever be used on an Outlook
> form.  Although I do have a form with 2000 lines of code behind it that
> opens pretty quickly.  What is the form doing when it opens?  Is it querying
> a database?  Is it dependent on other resources?  I'd look at what the code
> is in the Item_Open event and see if there is something there that might be
> causing the problem.

> --
> Patricia Cardoza
> Outlook MVP
> www.cardozasolutions.com

> ~Please post all replies to the newsgroup~

> > I wonder if any one can help me with the performance of a very large
> > custom outlook form  that was written for me a little while ago.

> > This has around 7 "tabbed" pages of information containing nearly 300
> > fields with the Data being stored in an Exchange public folder. The
> > form has around 2000 lines of VBS code behind it.

> > The form takes anything up to 5 minutes to load and process the code,
> > even on a Pentium III PC with 512 Megabytes of memory.

> > The Exchange server is being run on a somewhat elderly Pentium II 233
> > Mhz Dell Poweredge Server with a SCSI hardware RAID 5 system.

> > Can anyone give me some advice on how to speed up the operation of
> > this form and or anybody who could undertake such a task for me.

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:24:59 GMT

1. Digital Certificate & custom Outlook forms

2. Custom Property changes in Custom Outlook Form

3. need to call a VBA user form from an outlook custom form

4. loop over folder of custom forms slow and consumes memory

5. Form loading is slow

6. Outlook forms and vbscript & outlook programming

7. Slow loading form

8. Slow Form Load !

9. Form load is slow

10. VB6 Data Form loading too slow?

11. VB6 Data Form loading too slow?

12. eVB Masters - Slow Load with Control Intensive Form