Problem With Memo Fields And DAO
Author Message
 Problem With Memo Fields And DAO

Hi All,
I seem to be having problems when using DAO to update
memo type data in underlying table.   Everything seems to
work fine and my users are able to update data up until
the number of characters exceed somewhere around 2000
characters.  Once this threshold is exceeded DAO is
unable to update data (..using rst.update method).   At
first, I suspected there may have been something wrong
with my data, but found that if I open the table directly
and pasted this exact same data directly into the memo
field, everything seem to work fine... if fact, I
continued to this and was able to reach the "advertised
maximun allowable" of 65,535 charaters for this type of
field.

   Help in Access states that "...If the Memo field is
manipulated through DAO and only text and numbers [not
binary data] will be stored in it, then the size of the
Memo field is limited by the size of the database.)"  But
I am not sure what is meant by the "size of the
database"... In my simple mind this would seem to imply
that you could hanlde more data using DAO...not less.

I would like to resolve this issue, since the data that
my users enter is partially generated by code onto a
temporary table (which contains a memo field in question)
and then copied over onto the destination table by
opening a recordset and using the rst.edit and rst.update
method.

Any help solving this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Frank

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 04:56:32 GMT
 Problem With Memo Fields And DAO

Quote:
>    Help in Access states that "...If the Memo field is
> manipulated through DAO and only text and numbers [not
> binary data] will be stored in it, then the size of the
> Memo field is limited by the size of the database.)"  But
> I am not sure what is meant by the "size of the
> database"... In my simple mind this would seem to imply
> that you could hanlde more data using DAO...not less.

I think the problem is actually something to do with VB strings and stack
allocation and whatnot...

For moving large memos about, check out the GetChunk and AppendChunk
methods.

"The size of the database" means the maximum of 2GB for an .mdb file -- it
is apparently possible to get one memo as big as this, after allowing for
forms, other tables, queries etc. etc in the same file. I couldn't bear to
read that much in one field though! There is also a limit on what a textbox
can do: I think that is 32K?

Tim F

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 08:18:16 GMT
 Problem With Memo Fields And DAO

Quote:

>I think the problem is actually something to do with VB
strings and stack
>allocation and whatnot...

>For moving large memos about, check out the GetChunk and
AppendChunk
>methods.

>"The size of the database" means the maximum of 2GB for
an .mdb file -- it
>is apparently possible to get one memo as big as this,
after allowing for
>forms, other tables, queries etc. etc in the same file.
I couldn't bear to
>read that much in one field though! There is also a

limit on what a textbox
Quote:
>can do: I think that is 32K?

>Tim F

>.

Tim,
Thanks for the tip.. I will look into using your
recomended approach and will certainly let you know how
things work out!

Frank

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:50:09 GMT

1. Memo fields - problems reporting 2 memo fields

2. Access, VB, and DAO problem with a Memo Field

3. Append memo field to a different memo field

4. Memo field and DAO

5. Memo fields and DAO

6. Help with Access Memo Field (DAO)

7. DAO.QuaryDef and Memo fields...HELP!!

8. insert large data into memo field problem

9. Problem updating memo field

10. SELECT DISTINCT and memo field problem?

11. Creating a Word doc from Access and Problems with Memo field

12. MS Access memo field problems