Using Runtime Access 2000 And Full Ver Access 97 Same CPU Same Time
Author Message
 Using Runtime Access 2000 And Full Ver Access 97 Same CPU Same Time

Thanks you for reading,

We have been developing in A97 for quite some time and have many
applications written as well as having some of the users develop thier own
applications in Access 97.
Our development team has decided to take advantage of some of the benifits
in A2000. We would like to deploy our applications in Access2000 runtime.
And have the end users be able to:
Run our older A97 Apps.
Run our new 2000 Apps.
Have the end users to keep thier ability to develop personal apps in A97.

Hope this is clear!

What I need to know if anyone has done this and how it went?
What steps you need to install A2000 Runtime?
How can the databases be differentiated?

thanks you
randy petersen

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Runtime Access 2000 And Full Ver Access 97 Same CPU Same Time

You better back up everything before you try because, as far as I know from
speaking to peaople who have tried, once you put 2000 on, 97 won't work and
you have to reinstall the OS to get 97 back on and working.

TZ

Quote:
> Thanks you for reading,

> We have been developing in A97 for quite some time and have many
> applications written as well as having some of the users develop thier own
> applications in Access 97.
> Our development team has decided to take advantage of some of the benifits
> in A2000. We would like to deploy our applications in Access2000 runtime.
> And have the end users be able to:
> Run our older A97 Apps.
> Run our new 2000 Apps.
> Have the end users to keep thier ability to develop personal apps in A97.

> Hope this is clear!

> What I need to know if anyone has done this and how it went?
> What steps you need to install A2000 Runtime?
> How can the databases be differentiated?

> thanks you
> randy petersen

Mon, 27 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Runtime Access 2000 And Full Ver Access 97 Same CPU Same Time
I agree with Mugwump. I run 97 and 2000 and have installed them in
different partions, although that is not really necessary. One down side
of running both is if you start an application by clicking on the icon
in the directory where the databse is you will start the version of
Access you last used and that may be the wrong one. Although the icons
are different for each version they don't always show correctly. No harm
is done providing you back out of a wrong startup.

I may have set my system up incorrectly and would appreciate any advice
if I have.

Ian Pratt

Quote:

> > > Thanks you for reading,

> > > We have been developing in A97 for quite some time and have many
> > > applications written as well as having some of the users develop thier own
> > > applications in Access 97.
> > > Our development team has decided to take advantage of some of the benifits
> > > in A2000. We would like to deploy our applications in Access2000 runtime.
> > > And have the end users be able to:
> > > Run our older A97 Apps.
> > > Run our new 2000 Apps.
> > > Have the end users to keep thier ability to develop personal apps in A97.

> > > Hope this is clear!

> > > What I need to know if anyone has done this and how it went?
> > > What steps you need to install A2000 Runtime?
> > > How can the databases be differentiated?

> > > thanks you
> > > randy petersen

> As long as you install the A2000 run time anywhere else but where A79
> MSAccess.exe is, you will be OK. You will need to change the file
> associations back to point to the A97 exe though.
> We have just installed an Access 2000 runtime on to machines with A97 and
> it was successful after the above changes were made.
> On the subject of differentiating between them, I don't think you can.
> Although if you have done a proper install of your A2000 runtime
> application, the shortcut will point to the runtime.

> --
> Mugwump

> Replies to NG Only.
> Email address IS valid but not read

Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Runtime Access 2000 And Full Ver Access 97 Same CPU Same Time
My situation is not identical, but would apply in this situation. I run
both Access 2.0 and Access 8 on the same computer, and I like to open a
database from an Explorer window. I added a shortcut for each
application to my "Send To" menu, specifying the full pathname of each
app. My Access 8 shortcut is named "Access-8", the application is
specified as "D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe",
and "Start In:" is named as "My Documents", which is still where most of
my Office 8 data lives.

The Access 2 setup is similar, with the "Start In:" set to the folder
containing most of my Access 2 databases.

A right click, Send to, and choose the version isn't quite as fast as a
double click, but it's always consistant.

Cheers,
Alan

Quote:

> I agree with Mugwump. I run 97 and 2000 and have installed them in
> different partions, although that is not really necessary. One down side
> of running both is if you start an application by clicking on the icon
> in the directory where the databse is you will start the version of
> Access you last used and that may be the wrong one. Although the icons
> are different for each version they don't always show correctly. No harm
> is done providing you back out of a wrong startup.

> I may have set my system up incorrectly and would appreciate any advice
> if I have.

> Ian Pratt

> > As long as you install the A2000 run time anywhere else but where A79
> > MSAccess.exe is, you will be OK. You will need to change the file
> > associations back to point to the A97 exe though.
> > We have just installed an Access 2000 runtime on to machines with A97 and
> > it was successful after the above changes were made.
> > On the subject of differentiating between them, I don't think you can.
> > Although if you have done a proper install of your A2000 runtime
> > application, the shortcut will point to the runtime.

> > --
> > Mugwump

> > Replies to NG Only.
> > Email address IS valid but not read

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Runtime Access 2000 And Full Ver Access 97 Same CPU Same Time

Quote:

>Our development team has decided to take advantage of some of the benifits
>in A2000.

What benefits in A2000?

The simplest approach would be to visit www.sagekey.com.

I'm staying in A97 for now.

Tony
----
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
   VolStar http://www.volstar.com Manage hundreds or
thousands of volunteers for special events.

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. distributing an app written in access 2000 runtime but client still uses access 97

2. Access 97 Runtime and Access 2000.

3. Using VBA to Convert Access 2000 database to Access 97

4. Using Access 97 and Access 2000 on same machine

5. Access 97 upgrade to Access 2000 or Access 2002

6. Access 2000 Runtime and Word 97

7. Failure starting Access runtime 97 with Office 2000

8. Runtime Access 2000 and Office 97

9. Win/Off 2000 and Access 97 Runtime

10. Can Access ver 7.0 and Access 97 conexist ?

11. installing Office 2000 kills Access 97 run-time applications

12. VBA Timing in Access 97/2000