VBA interface to serial RS232 port
Author Message
 VBA interface to serial RS232 port

Hi all

I'm new in VBA programming and i ask to the experts how to develop an
interface like this:

I need an interface to send data trough RS232 port to a display board.
The data are stored in an excel cell or are coming from an access database.

I think on a module (like "calendar") to put in excel/access and able to send
data on the COM1. I have all the info about transmission protocol and data
format.

Can you help me in developing it?

Thank you
Marcello

p.s. can you send a reply to this message to my private e-mail

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:40:48 GMT
 VBA interface to serial RS232 port
however, there are other alternatives.

you can make calls to the windows API.  if you are not familiar with how to
do this, do a search on "declare" in the VBA help.  depending on you
programming skill and your familiarity with the windows API, then this
alternative may be a bit much.

you can use something an activex control that provides and interface to the
com port.  a free activex control that may do the job for you is located at
http://www.pti-can.com/public/Software/SID-101/cheapcomm.zip.  in addition,
VB ships with an activex control (called MSCOMM32.ocx) that might work for
you as well.

Quote:

> Hi all

> I'm new in VBA programming and i ask to the experts how to develop an
> interface like this:

> I need an interface to send data trough RS232 port to a display board.
> The data are stored in an excel cell or are coming from an access
database.

> I think on a module (like "calendar") to put in excel/access and able to
send
> data on the COM1. I have all the info about transmission protocol and data
> format.

> Can you help me in developing it?

> Thank you
> Marcello

> p.s. can you send a reply to this message to my private e-mail

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 09:37:43 GMT
 VBA interface to serial RS232 port
You have two choices. You can get a serial communications ActiveX
control like the MSComm32.OCX that ships with Visual Basic and then
write VBA code around the ActiveX control or you can use a third party
program like WinWedge from http://www.taltech.com
Either approach will work just fine in Excel however you might have
trouble using the ActiveX control in Access.

Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:28:45 GMT

1. Data Transfer over Serial Interface (V.24 / RS232)

2. Problem with Serial Port COM (RS232)

3. rs232 or serial port communication with multimeter

4. RS232 communication accessing the serial port.

5. test serial port(RS232)

6. test computer serial port rs232

7. rs232/serial port communication with multimeter

8. RS232 Serial Port Example - VB 3

9. REQ: Serial Port Interface

10. SERIAL PORT INTERFACE

11. Serial Port Interface