Page x of x 
Author Message
 Page x of x

In MS Word 97, on the Header/Footer toolbar, there is a button for inserting
the current page number, and a button for inserting total # of pages. This
allows you to have "Page 3 of 9" for instance on the bottom of each page.
Trouble is, the field for total # of pages often defaults to "1" instead of
the true total # of pages. On for instance the third page it will say "Page
3 of 1".

I can go back in and re-do that field, and it fixes it for the moment, but
next time I open the document it will go back to saying it has 1 page total.
What causes this, and how can I fix it?

--

Group Benefits
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:36:35 GMT  
 Page x of x
Hi Mark,

This is a well-documented bug in Word. The exact problem and solution
depends on the version of Word you are using (including SRs and patches).
See <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm>. You may
also want to look at <URL:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm> for future
reference.

BTW, you may also want to take a look at some of the other newsgroups. This
particular one has a subject matter of custom made dialog boxes (userforms)
in Visual Basic for applications (vba) for Word. While you got your answer
here, in the future you'll find you get answers most quickly by asking in
the appropriate group. In this case that might have been pagelayout or
newusers or application.errors. Please don't take this as criticism because
it isn't intended as such.
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
<URL: http://www.addbalance.com/word/index.htm>

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
<URL: http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm>

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
 --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
from my ignorance and your wisdom.
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
<URL: http://www.addbalance.com/word/index.htm>

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
<URL: http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm>

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
 --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Quote:
> In MS Word 97, on the Header/Footer toolbar, there is a button for
inserting
> the current page number, and a button for inserting total # of pages. This
> allows you to have "Page 3 of 9" for instance on the bottom of each page.
> Trouble is, the field for total # of pages often defaults to "1" instead
of
> the true total # of pages. On for instance the third page it will say
"Page
> 3 of 1".

> I can go back in and re-do that field, and it fixes it for the moment, but
> next time I open the document it will go back to saying it has 1 page
total.
> What causes this, and how can I fix it?

> --

> Group Benefits
> http://www.ontomy.com/mark.html



Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:05:23 GMT  
 Page x of x
Makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark


Quote:
> Hi Mark,

> This is a well-documented bug in Word. The exact problem and solution
> depends on the version of Word you are using (including SRs and patches).
> See <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm>. You may
> also want to look at <URL:
> http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/PageNumbering.htm> for future
> reference.

> BTW, you may also want to take a look at some of the other newsgroups.
This
> particular one has a subject matter of custom made dialog boxes
(userforms)
> in visual basic for applications (vba) for Word. While you got your answer
> here, in the future you'll find you get answers most quickly by asking in
> the appropriate group. In this case that might have been pagelayout or
> newusers or application.errors. Please don't take this as criticism
because
> it isn't intended as such.
> --
> Charles Kenyon

> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
> <URL: http://www.addbalance.com/word/index.htm>

> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
> <URL: http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm>

> See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
>  --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
> --
> Charles Kenyon

> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
> <URL: http://www.addbalance.com/word/index.htm>

> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)
> <URL: http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/index.htm>

> See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
>  --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.


> > In MS Word 97, on the Header/Footer toolbar, there is a button for
> inserting
> > the current page number, and a button for inserting total # of pages.
This
> > allows you to have "Page 3 of 9" for instance on the bottom of each
page.
> > Trouble is, the field for total # of pages often defaults to "1" instead
> of
> > the true total # of pages. On for instance the third page it will say
> "Page
> > 3 of 1".

> > I can go back in and re-do that field, and it fixes it for the moment,
but
> > next time I open the document it will go back to saying it has 1 page
> total.
> > What causes this, and how can I fix it?

> > --

> > Group Benefits
> > http://www.ontomy.com/mark.html



Sat, 03 Apr 2004 04:13:06 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Page size for the background= Page size of the first page of the drawing

2. Page Footer on Page 1 Refers to Page 2

3. Page n of Total pages (or Max Pages function)

4. Resetting "Page of Pages"

5. Page numbering and fit to page in Excel from VB

6. How Do I Script Tables and make page breaks form a html Page

7. MS Word 2000 Page # Of #s Pages

8. using VBA to get HTML pages and pull info from those pages

9. Print report page footer last page only?

10. Accessing controls on Compose Page vs Read Page

11. Getting Page Custom Properties onto a new page

12. code to save old page name, open new page

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software