Custom Documents Templates
Author Message
 Custom Documents Templates

Hi,

I'm trying to create a custom template with a userform to
which data is entered and then that data is automatically
inserted into the document window.  The document window
itself will have some boilerplate formatting (text,
margins, bookmarks, etc.)

Of course, I want to be able to modify the template from
time to time.  When I open the template I can modify the
template project and save the changes to the template
project.  However, when I make changes to the doucment
window formatting, I find I am just making changes to the
document based on the template and not the document
template itself.

Doing a 'Save' command just saves the document based on
the template.  Doing a 'Save As' command with .dot
filetype will save the modified document window formatting
but does not save the underlying template project with it.

Is it just a one shot deal or can you periodically modify
both the document window formatting and associated
template project and and save them together (ie. update
the entire custom template?)

I am new to all of this VBA programming and I hope my
question was pretty clear.  I appreciate any help and
thank you all in advance.

M.

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:46:09 GMT
 Custom Documents Templates
Do you just need to open the template itself; the .dot file?  make all text
and code changes to this directly.

Colin

Quote:
> Hi,

> I'm trying to create a custom template with a userform to
> which data is entered and then that data is automatically
> inserted into the document window.  The document window
> itself will have some boilerplate formatting (text,
> margins, bookmarks, etc.)

> Of course, I want to be able to modify the template from
> time to time.  When I open the template I can modify the
> template project and save the changes to the template
> project.  However, when I make changes to the doucment
> window formatting, I find I am just making changes to the
> document based on the template and not the document
> template itself.

> Doing a 'Save' command just saves the document based on
> the template.  Doing a 'Save As' command with .dot
> filetype will save the modified document window formatting
> but does not save the underlying template project with it.

> Is it just a one shot deal or can you periodically modify
> both the document window formatting and associated
> template project and and save them together (ie. update
> the entire custom template?)

> I am new to all of this VBA programming and I hope my
> question was pretty clear.  I appreciate any help and
> thank you all in advance.

> M.

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:32:34 GMT
 Custom Documents Templates
Thanks for your help.  At first I didn't follow exactly
what you were saying but it gave me a clue.  Apparently I
was double clicking the template icon which opens a new
document based on the template and not the template
itself.  Starting word and opening the .dot file directly
through the file>open menu lets you edit and save the
template. None of the Word VBA books I have explains this
cleary.
Thanks again.

Quote:

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:51:33 GMT
 Custom Documents Templates

Quote:

Right click on a .dot template in windows explorer and
you can see the two actions, New and Open, where New is
the default. You can easily open templates for editing
this way (or even change the default action if you like).

--
David A. Riggs
Science Applications International Corp.

Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:56:49 GMT
 Custom Documents Templates
If you are accessing the file from Explorer vs. Word's
Open File Dialog, Rt click open instead of double click,
also does the trick.

Peggy

Quote:

Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:44:11 GMT

1. Custom template is new document

2. Problem with custom toolbar in custom template

3. Updating Documents Created From a Master Document Template

4. Copy a document but without the document template

5. Accessing Office Custom Document Properties from Closed Documents/Workbooks

6. Outlook custom form print to word template

8. VBA: Copy Import map from custom template to Global.mpt

9. How to create a template with custom properties

10. Custom Template Installation

11. Custom Template Auto Save

12. Copying a custom menu from one template to another