Don't open in Design Mode
Author Message
 Don't open in Design Mode

I have created a template with checkboxes, etc.  I save
it when it is not in design mode but when I open it as a
new document, it always opens in design mode, when of
course you can't tick the checkboxes.  It will be used
for very computer illiterate people, i.e. doctors, so I
need to make it as simple as possible.  I have given up
trying to figure out why this happens.  Can anybody
please help me?

Thanks
Ian

Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:42:26 GMT
 Don't open in Design Mode
Hi Ian,

Is this a form with buttons from the Control Toolbox toolbar? Documents with these controls open in design mode if the security in Word (Tools - Macro - Security) is set to high instead of medium.
This setting can be different at each system, if you can't count on it being set to medium or low, you might want to think of another approach (protected forms perhaps? Although these have their own set of complications) or tell the users in advance that this can happen and how to fix it.

Hope this helps,
regards,
Astrid

So that all can benefit from the discussion, please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.
Visit the MVP Word FAQ site at http://www.mvps.org/word/

Quote:
> I have created a template with checkboxes, etc.  I save
> it when it is not in design mode but when I open it as a
> new document, it always opens in design mode, when of
> course you can't tick the checkboxes.  It will be used
> for very computer illiterate people, i.e. doctors, so I
> need to make it as simple as possible.  I have given up
> trying to figure out why this happens.  Can anybody
> please help me?

> Thanks
> Ian

Sat, 23 Apr 2005 19:50:03 GMT
 Don't open in Design Mode
Thanks very much Astrid; it's works perfectly.

Ian

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:27:15 GMT
 Don't open in Design Mode
Ian - Did you ever find out how to get this to NOT open in
Design Mode.  I know you can change the Security
to "medium", -but I can't guarantee that EVERY user will
have security set to this.  Hope you can e-mail me an
answer!  Thank you very much!

Denise

Quote:

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 04:11:12 GMT
 Don't open in Design Mode
Hi Denise,

You can't be sure of the users safety settings in Word. It could be that - if set to high- they won't be able to run your code cause Word will open the document without the macros enabled and it doesn't even warn about this.
There is a sort of workaround for this problem. I added some text in the document that said the security settings were set to high and that the user needed to alter this setting in order to install.
I've formatted this text with a particular style. In the AutoNew macro of the template, I've changed the font of the font to hidden, so that if the macro was running (and therefor security settings) weren't a problem, the text wasn't visible.
It only showed if the macro didn't run, and the only situation where that could have happened was if the security settings were set to high.

The developer edition of Office 2000 and XP contains a tool called Selfcert.exe (Office 97 doesn't recognise certificates). You can use it to generate certificates which can be used to sign templates. You can buy a certificate granted by a third-party like Thawte as well.
In both cases, when an attempt is made to run code that is certified, a warning dialog comes up asking the user whether he wants to trust code from this source. The warning is a somewhat more strongly worded for projects signed using selfcert generated signatures.

Hope this helps,
regards,
Astrid

So that all can benefit from the discussion, please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.
Visit the MVP Word FAQ site at http://www.mvps.org/word/

Quote:
> Ian - Did you ever find out how to get this to NOT open in
> Design Mode.  I know you can change the Security
> to "medium", -but I can't guarantee that EVERY user will
> have security set to this.  Hope you can e-mail me an
> answer!  Thank you very much!

> Denise

Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:41:46 GMT

1. Access opening Excel sheet in visual basic design mode

2. How to open a macro in design mode ?

3. Preventing Word documents from opening in design mode

4. Open in Design mode - XP

5. doc with activex always opens in design mode

6. Open in Design mode?

7. Word automatically opening in Design Mode

8. Always opens in Design Mode???

9. Word form opens up in design mode

10. Forms open in design mode

11. GPF when opening a form in design mode ..

12. Opening a table in design mode