Design Opinions on a particular DB task
Author Message
 Design Opinions on a particular DB task

I need to create a set of "generic" records that can then be copied and
modified.  The new record, which may be an exact duplicate of the generic
record or have elements of the fields from the generic record altered, must
then be added to the database as a new record.  The two approaches I have
considered are:
a. Option 1:  make one recordset with appropriate fields that handles the
generic records and then replicate the data in a particular record, add the
missing information and then add it to the record list.
b. Option 2: create a generic recordset, copy this recordset to a new table
which contains the additional information that I need to manipulate these
new records.

Option 2 seems to be the easiest but may demand additional resources(not
sure whether they are significant though).  Option 1 allows both generic and
specific records in the same table and with a simple field identifier, I
would be able to filter the records to get the recordset I want to act on.
Problem is I don't know how to replicate the generic record and append it to
the end of the recordset.

Any opinions on how to approach the design task would be welcomed.

Rick Lacharite

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Design Opinions on a particular DB task
Maybe I don't quite understand what you're doing, but it sounds to me as if
you could simply set the default values of your fields to your "generic"
values.  That way any new record would be created with these values.  If
you need to record whether the data has been changed, you can do that in
the BeforeUpdate event.

HTH
        - Turtle

Quote:
> I need to create a set of "generic" records that can then be copied and
> modified.  The new record, which may be an exact duplicate of the generic
> record or have elements of the fields from the generic record altered,
must
> then be added to the database as a new record.  The two approaches I have
> considered are:
> a. Option 1:  make one recordset with appropriate fields that handles the
> generic records and then replicate the data in a particular record, add
the
> missing information and then add it to the record list.
> b. Option 2: create a generic recordset, copy this recordset to a new
table
> which contains the additional information that I need to manipulate these
> new records.

> Option 2 seems to be the easiest but may demand additional resources(not
> sure whether they are significant though).  Option 1 allows both generic
and
> specific records in the same table and with a simple field identifier, I
> would be able to filter the records to get the recordset I want to act
on.
> Problem is I don't know how to replicate the generic record and append it
> the end of the recordset.

> Any opinions on how to approach the design task would be welcomed.

> Rick Lacharite

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Switch to a particular task

2. Win32 API call to view a particular Task

3. Your opinion on UI design, please?

4. Search about a particular DB Grid

5. Opinions: VB vs. Access for DB apps

6. Opinion and Help on DB

7. DB - Developers, your opinion please...

8. Design a form for task application (Newbie)

9. Global DB Connections...RunTime Variable used for Design-Time DataAdapter Connection

10. DB Design Question

11. Need advice on DB design (Access)

12. A little more help with DB Design