Cross Reference - Reference Not Found
Author Message
 Cross Reference - Reference Not Found

You're probably deleting the bookmark that the cross-reference
is looking for.

In a fresh document from the template, click Tools-> Options->
View, and check the box labeled Bookmarks.  You should see
square braces like [this] around the spot where the client
name first appears, the place you type it.

Those braces are sacred.  If you erase them, the cross-ref
has nowhere to point to.

There are slicker solutions but they'd involve a bit of
programming work.

Hope this helps.

-- See the MVP FAQ at http://www.*-*-*.com/
---- "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters
Reply to the newsgroup *ONLY*.  MVPs are not Microsoft staff.

Quote:

> I have a report template from which the headers and
> footers get the client name in the form of a cross
> reference from the Cover Page.  The Cover Page Client Name
> is formatted as a Heading 1.  Whenever I change the client
> name on the cover page, and I go to update the cross
> reference, where the client name is supposed to appear in
> the headers and footers I get the "Error! Reference not
> found."  Why is this happending?  Is there another
> solution?

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:29:43 GMT
 Cross Reference - Reference Not Found
I don't mind programming, though I've only done some in
Excel.  The thing with this is that I am not using
Bookmarks, I am using Cross Reference to a Heading not a
Bookmark. Because as you stated I was deleting the
Bookmark as I entered a new Client Name.
Quote:

MVP
--
>---- "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John
Waters
>Reply to the newsgroup *ONLY*.  MVPs are not Microsoft
staff.

>> I have a report template from which the headers and
>> footers get the client name in the form of a cross
>> reference from the Cover Page.  The Cover Page Client
Name
>> is formatted as a Heading 1.  Whenever I change the
client
>> name on the cover page, and I go to update the cross
>> reference, where the client name is supposed to appear
in
>> the headers and footers I get the "Error! Reference not
>> found."  Why is this happending?  Is there another
>> solution?
>.

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:02:40 GMT
 Cross Reference - Reference Not Found

Sorry, I misunderstood.

The heading cross-reference works for me.  What exactly
are you doing when you try to update the cross-reference?
The only way I can get a ref-not-found message is to
delete the heading and then replace it -- which of course
makes sense since that removes the Header style.  If I
select the heading and type a new one, the style remains
and the cross reference updates if I select it and hit F9.

-- See the MVP FAQ at http://www.mvps.org/word -------------
---- "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters
Reply to the newsgroup *ONLY*.  MVPs are not Microsoft staff.

Quote:

> I don't mind programming, though I've only done some in
> Excel.  The thing with this is that I am not using
> Bookmarks, I am using Cross Reference to a Heading not a
> Bookmark. Because as you stated I was deleting the
> Bookmark as I entered a new Client Name.

Sun, 01 Aug 2004 23:28:20 GMT
 Cross Reference - Reference Not Found

Quote:

> Sorry, I misunderstood.

> The heading cross-reference works for me.  What exactly
> are you doing when you try to update the cross-reference?
> The only way I can get a ref-not-found message is to
> delete the heading and then replace it -- which of course
> makes sense since that removes the Header style.

Actually, it would remove the hidden bookmark (one whose name starts with an
underscore) which is inserted there automatically by Word when you insert a
crossref to a heading). All the crossrefs are actually to bookmarks, it is
just that Word inserts them for you when appropriate.

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:19:00 GMT
 Cross Reference - Reference Not Found

Good to know.  So, Emma, are you actually deleting the entire heading and
then typing a new one?  That would explain what's happening.  And if doing
it another way would be awkward, there are ways to avoid it -- for example,
a small userform (custom dialog) to prompt for the client name when a new
document is created.  Or -- much less slick but requiring less VBA skill
to implement -- an ASK field in the template.

(Although you're posting this to the 'userforms' group, the file you're
working on is not a userform.  Userform is Microsoft's term for a custom
dialog box, a graphical pop-up that you create in the Visual Basic Editor.
The terms understandably confuse many people, so don't worry about being
in the "wrong" [sic] place; just keep the distinction in mind to minimize
the befuddlement of those to whom you're describing the problem.)

-- See the MVP FAQ at http://www.mvps.org/word --------------------------
----------------- "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters
Reply to group ONLY. Do not attach files. MVPs do not work for Microsoft.

Quote:

> > Sorry, I misunderstood.

> > The heading cross-reference works for me.  What exactly
> > are you doing when you try to update the cross-reference?
> > The only way I can get a ref-not-found message is to
> > delete the heading and then replace it -- which of course
> > makes sense since that removes the Header style.

> Actually, it would remove the hidden bookmark (one whose name starts with an
> underscore) which is inserted there automatically by Word when you insert a
> crossref to a heading). All the crossrefs are actually to bookmarks, it is
> just that Word inserts them for you when appropriate.

> --
> Regards
> Jonathan West - Word MVP
> MultiLinker - Automated generation of hyperlinks in Word
> Conversion to PDF & HTML
> http://www.multilinker.com
> Word FAQs at http://www.multilinker.com/wordfaq
> Please post any follow-up in the newsgroup. I do not reply to Word questions
> by email

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 16:46:43 GMT

1. VB COM project reference works, but dll reference does not

2. reference Library not found in Dutch Version

3. ActiveX exe reference not found

4. Database reference not found

5. Variable cross reference for VBA

6. Code to detect lost cross-references?

7. Using Visual Basic to cross-reference page numbers in separate documents

8. Setting defaultls for Insert Cross Reference Dialog

9. Cross-references, bookmarks

10. cross reference within a document

11. Cross-reference a table cell

12. cross-reference report