Look at Email in a specified Public Folder
Author Message
 Look at Email in a specified Public Folder

How on earth do I do this?

I want to look at the contents of email in a public folder?

Please help!

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:20:09 GMT
 Look at Email in a specified Public Folder
You'd use the Outlook object model to get the folder, then the specific item. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outtech.htm for basics on the OM. You might also find the GetFolder() function at http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/getfolder.htm useful.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions

Quote:

> How on earth do I do this?

> I want to look at the contents of email in a public folder?

> Please help!

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:22:02 GMT
 Look at Email in a specified Public Folder
Hi!

I'm trying to do something similar.  I went to Slipstick and found the
article you were talking about, but I'm not sure where to put in the folder
path (also, will this work for what I want?).  I want to create a shortcut
on the toolbar to hit the Public Folder instead of having to go through a
hierarchy of about 20 Public Folders to find our group contacts.  Right now,
I just have a hyperlink to the folder, so it opens in a new window and
people forget they have 2 (or more) instances of Outlook running.

Thanks!

You'd use the Outlook object model to get the folder, then the specific
item. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outtech.htm for basics on the OM.
You might also find the GetFolder() function at
http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/getfolder.htm useful.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions
   at http://www.slipstick.com

Quote:
> How on earth do I do this?

> I want to look at the contents of email in a public folder?

> Please help!

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:10:35 GMT
 Look at Email in a specified Public Folder

Quote:
> I'm trying to do something similar.  I went to Slipstick and found the
> article you were talking about, but I'm not sure where to put in the folder
> path (also, will this work for what I want?).

The GetFolder() function takes the folder path as an argument and returns a MAPIFolder object. Therefore, you need to provide a Public subroutine (since you want to run this from the toolbar) that passes the path to that function, gets a MAPIFolder back, and then switches the current Outlook Explorer window to display that folder. For example:

Sub ShowSomeFolder()
    Dim objFolder as MAPIFolder
    Set objFolder = GetFolder(path to some folder)
    Set objFolder.Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = objFolder
    Set objFolder = nothing
End Sub

Repeat as needed for your 20 folders.

Quote:
>  I want to create a shortcut
> on the toolbar to hit the Public Folder instead of having to go through a
> hierarchy of about 20 Public Folders to find our group contacts.  Right now,
> I just have a hyperlink to the folder, so it opens in a new window and
> people forget they have 2 (or more) instances of Outlook running.

Seems like a lot of work to me. I'd just drag them all to a Public Folders group on the Outlook Bar.
Quote:

> You'd use the Outlook object model to get the folder, then the specific
> item. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outtech.htm for basics on the OM.
> You might also find the GetFolder() function at
> http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/getfolder.htm useful.

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:56:28 GMT
 Look at Email in a specified Public Folder
Well, we only want to see the one Public Folder.  The others are for other
divisions.  We were just trying to avoid having to open the the Public
Folders hierarchy to find that one folder.  As far as the Outlook Bar, we
tried that and found we have too many Personal Folders setup and it was
harder to have to scroll through or resort the Outlook Bar, so we opted for
the folder view.  We also have subfolders with rules, etc. so that is why we
were trying the toolbar shortcut for this item.

Thanks!

Quote:
> I'm trying to do something similar.  I went to Slipstick and found the
> article you were talking about, but I'm not sure where to put in the
folder
> path (also, will this work for what I want?).

The GetFolder() function takes the folder path as an argument and returns a
MAPIFolder object. Therefore, you need to provide a Public subroutine (since
you want to run this from the toolbar) that passes the path to that
function, gets a MAPIFolder back, and then switches the current Outlook
Explorer window to display that folder. For example:

Sub ShowSomeFolder()
    Dim objFolder as MAPIFolder
    Set objFolder = GetFolder(path to some folder)
    Set objFolder.Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = objFolder
    Set objFolder = nothing
End Sub

Repeat as needed for your 20 folders.

Quote:
>  I want to create a shortcut
> on the toolbar to hit the Public Folder instead of having to go through a
> hierarchy of about 20 Public Folders to find our group contacts.  Right
now,
> I just have a hyperlink to the folder, so it opens in a new window and
> people forget they have 2 (or more) instances of Outlook running.

Seems like a lot of work to me. I'd just drag them all to a Public Folders
group on the Outlook Bar.

Quote:

> You'd use the Outlook object model to get the folder, then the specific
> item. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outtech.htm for basics on the
OM.
> You might also find the GetFolder() function at
> http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/getfolder.htm useful.

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:30:11 GMT
 Look at Email in a specified Public Folder
By the way, thanks for the help!  I have been trying to figure this out for
months!!

And, wonderful website.  It has been so helpful for me to learn Outlook
functionality and programming!!!!!

Quote:
> I'm trying to do something similar.  I went to Slipstick and found the
> article you were talking about, but I'm not sure where to put in the
folder
> path (also, will this work for what I want?).

The GetFolder() function takes the folder path as an argument and returns a
MAPIFolder object. Therefore, you need to provide a Public subroutine (since
you want to run this from the toolbar) that passes the path to that
function, gets a MAPIFolder back, and then switches the current Outlook
Explorer window to display that folder. For example:

Sub ShowSomeFolder()
    Dim objFolder as MAPIFolder
    Set objFolder = GetFolder(path to some folder)
    Set objFolder.Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = objFolder
    Set objFolder = nothing
End Sub

Repeat as needed for your 20 folders.

Quote:
>  I want to create a shortcut
> on the toolbar to hit the Public Folder instead of having to go through a
> hierarchy of about 20 Public Folders to find our group contacts.  Right
now,
> I just have a hyperlink to the folder, so it opens in a new window and
> people forget they have 2 (or more) instances of Outlook running.

Seems like a lot of work to me. I'd just drag them all to a Public Folders
group on the Outlook Bar.

Quote:

> You'd use the Outlook object model to get the folder, then the specific
> item. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outtech.htm for basics on the
OM.
> You might also find the GetFolder() function at
> http://www.slipstick.com/dev/code/getfolder.htm useful.

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:35:20 GMT

1. How can I get/guess email address of a folder under the Public Folder

2. How can I get/guess email address of a folder under the Public Folder

3. Create Exchange Public Folders with Specified ACL Permissions with VB

4. Create Exchange Public Folders with Specified ACL Permissions

5. Create Exchange Public Folders with Specified ACL Permissions with VB

6. How to create draft email to specified folder

7. Email address of public folders

8. Get public folder email address

9. Build XML of folders, sub folders and files from specified folder

10. Public Folders message post automaticallly emails a distribution list

11. looking for beginner info on querying global address book, public folders

12. Email address from a public contact folder - PLEASE HELP