Word 2002: How to save a file in Word 97 format in Word 2002
Author Message
 Word 2002: How to save a file in Word 97 format in Word 2002

Hi Rs,

Quote:
> How can I save a file Word 97 format using VBA?

Word97 and Word 2002 both have the same basic file format,
so there's no way to "save as Word97". Word 2002 supports
more features than Word97, so some of the increased size is
certainly due to that. You could try activating the option
to only allow functionality from Word97 in
Tools/Options/Save. I don't know if that will make a
significant difference, however.

If these files (or their templates) were originally created
in Word97, and only get so large after opening and saving in
Word2002 then you may be looking at some document
corruption. Word 97 is notorious for this. Try copying
everything but the last paragraph mark into a new document
(created from a new Normal.dot) and see if that makes a big
difference in file size.

Quote:
> We have an application which creates Word documents using
> Word templates with embedded VBA code. In Word 97, the
> Word documents created used to between 120-200 KB.We now
> have Word 2002, and the same documents have become more
> than 1000 KB in size!!!

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Sun, 15 May 2005 18:25:36 GMT
 Word 2002: How to save a file in Word 97 format in Word 2002
Hi Cindy,
Thanks a lot for your reply.
As you mentioned, the documents/templates were indeed
originally created in Word 97 and become huge if I just
open and save them in Word 2002. If I save them in Word
97, they do not increase in size.
I tried copying everything but the last paragraph mark,
but it didn't work. I also tried setting the default in
Tools->Options->Save as Word 97, but that also did not
work.
Does it mean that the files are corrupted? It would be
huge effort if we have to create all the templates again
in Word 2002.
I searched in microsoft site and knowledge bases, but I
didn't find anything regarding this problem.
Please do let me know, if you could suggest a way to solve
this.

Thanks,
RS

Quote:

Sun, 29 May 2005 05:46:16 GMT
 Word 2002: How to save a file in Word 97 format in Word 2002
Hi Cindy,
As an afterthought, Does the fact that a lot of code in
the macros in the Word templates that we have uses
WordBasic functions instead of VBA have anything to do
with this problem?

Thanks.
RS

Quote:

Sun, 29 May 2005 06:23:24 GMT
 Word 2002: How to save a file in Word 97 format in Word 2002
Hi Rs,

Sorry about the delayed response - I was away over the
holidays and am only just beginning to catch up, here.

Quote:
> As an afterthought, Does the fact that a lot of code in
> the macros in the Word templates that we have uses
> WordBasic functions instead of VBA have anything to do
> with this problem?

If copy/pasting without the last paragraph mark didn't show
any appreciable change in file size, then it's hard to say
what could be causing this. What do the documents contain,
besides plain text with "basic formatting"? Lots of graphics,
tables, embedded objects, etc.?

What does the macro code do, in a general sort of way? Just
the fact that it uses WordBasic shouldn't be a problem. But
the kinds of things it generates could, possibly, be a
source.

Quote:

Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:29:59 GMT

1. Passing Userforms to subs (Word 2000 and 2002, I did not try Word 97)

2. Going from Word 97 to Word 2002 (Macros)

3. VBA in a workgroup template runs slower on Word 2002 than on Word 97

4. Question for Microsoft about Word 2000 and Word 2002

5. Word 2002 Template won't open in Word 2000

6. Differences on word 2002 and word 2000 vba

7. Word 2000/2002/97 compatability

8. Access 2002 Word 2002 Automation

9. MailEnvelope property in Excel 2002 and Word 2002

10. Word 200 and Word 2002: VBA6 compiler constant does not do the job

11. spped problems with MS Access 2002 as client, Word 2002 as server

12. Word 2002 Access 2002 Automation