is it possible to write aggregate functions
Author Message
 is it possible to write aggregate functions

Such as sum or avg functions.

Rob Alexander

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 is it possible to write aggregate functions

Hi Robert,

In a query? they are already built-in a Total query type (push the summation
button on the toolbar, or from the menu, View, check Total ) and you will
see a new line where you can ask for Sum and Avg.

InsideVBA, can use DSum and DAvg.

Note that in all cases, those functions only work vertically, through the
records, not horizontaly, through the fields.

Hope it may help,
Vanderghast Access MVP.

Quote:

>Such as sum or avg functions.

>Rob Alexander

Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 is it possible to write aggregate functions

Hi,

Probably have misread your question in my first answer.

You can, inside a query, define an arithmetic combinaison, but not your own
"external" function, using Expression (instead of Sum, Count, Avg, ..... ).
So, having the skrewness expression as the cubic polynomial summation
(Sum([FieldName]^3) + ........   ) can be evaluated such an expression, but
not: MyOwnFunction( [FieldName] ). So, basically, if it is polynomial, it
probably can be done. As example, a covariance can easily be computed
involving Sum( [Field1] * [Field2] ) + ....

Hope it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP.

Quote:

>Hi Robert,

>In a query? they are already built-in a Total query type (push the
summation
>button on the toolbar, or from the menu, View, check Total ) and you will
>see a new line where you can ask for Sum and Avg.

>InsideVBA, can use DSum and DAvg.

>Note that in all cases, those functions only work vertically, through the
>records, not horizontaly, through the fields.

>Hope it may help,
>Vanderghast Access MVP.

>>Such as sum or avg functions.

>>Rob Alexander

Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 is it possible to write aggregate functions

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998 07:59:07 -0500, "Michel Walsh"
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I wanted to write myfunction([field]).  I did know about the sum,
avg, and other built in functions.

Rob

Tue, 11 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. new type of aggregate function (product function)

2. Custom aggregate function

3. Aggregate functions

4. Domain Aggregate Function problem

5. Domain Aggregate function to return Collection/array

6. Help coding an aggregate dSum function

7. Aggregate function for values of fields in record

8. creating custom aggregate functions

9. Determine if SQL-Aggregate functions are ready

10. Aggregate product function?

11. DAO didn't recognize Domain Aggregate functions

12. Custom Aggregate Function Brainwave?