This is an interesting scenario ...ant ideas
Author Message
 This is an interesting scenario ...ant ideas

Hi

Could any of you help me out or point me in the right direction with this
one.  It is an interesting one ....

I have a table full of bank account details and direct debit payment amounts
that I want to import into some other software.  I have no problem in
writing code that exports the table data to file but the problem is in the
required file format - a header and footer is required and each row of data
from the table needs to be followed by a row of codes to indicate to the
software the start of a new payment .... I have to produce a file as
follows...

Header Start of file
Payment details 1
#Marker to indicate start of new payment#
Payment details 2
#Marker to indicate start of new payment#
etc...
Footer End of file

At present I do all this by pasting lines into excel  manually but I know
damn well that there must be a way to automate it from one neat click of  a
button - anyone got any ideas .... exporting each R  & line break &
...struggling to get it to work.

Any help welcomed.

Patrick

Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:39:08 GMT
 This is an interesting scenario ...ant ideas

Quote:

>I have a table full of bank account details and direct debit payment amounts
>that I want to import into some other software.  I have no problem in
>writing code that exports the table data to file but the problem is in the
>required file format - a header and footer is required and each row of data
>from the table needs to be followed by a row of codes to indicate to the
>software the start of a new payment .... I have to produce a file as
>follows...

You'll need to do this in VBA code.  See the Put or Write statements.
Hmmm, "Data Flow Manager Manage the flow of data in and out of the
application" at my website may work.

Tony
----
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:38:13 GMT
 This is an interesting scenario ...ant ideas
You should be able to accomplish this through a union query, albeit a large
one.  You can take advantage of the fact that union queries simply line up
the fields in each of the subqueries by the field order to show different
data.  Some time ago, we used this technique to build Quicken IIF files "on
the fly".

If you build a series of queries, looking something like:
    1. a single record query to show the header, and possibly another for
the footer. (In our scenario, we had a 2-record table with the standard
field headers and footers from Quicken).
    2. a query (or queries) generate one record per payment with the
information needed to signify start/finish of the payment
    3.a query showing the information for each lineitem of the payment
details
In order for this to work, the first Select statement in the union must be
the query returning the most fields.  Save yourself the headache, and make
sure that all fields are string-typed.

Once you union that, you should have all of the data you need in on file,
which then needs to sort appropriately so that you can export that (we
simply tagged on another field at the end of each of the above queries with
a number: 1 for file header, 2 for payment header,3 for payment
detail,etc...)

Hope that helps.

Quote:
> Hi

> Could any of you help me out or point me in the right direction with this
> one.  It is an interesting one ....

> I have a table full of bank account details and direct debit payment
amounts
> that I want to import into some other software.  I have no problem in
> writing code that exports the table data to file but the problem is in the
> required file format - a header and footer is required and each row of
data
> from the table needs to be followed by a row of codes to indicate to the
> software the start of a new payment .... I have to produce a file as
> follows...

> Header Start of file
> Payment details 1
> #Marker to indicate start of new payment#
> Payment details 2
> #Marker to indicate start of new payment#
> etc...
> Footer End of file

> At present I do all this by pasting lines into excel  manually but I know
> damn well that there must be a way to automate it from one neat click of
> button - anyone got any ideas .... exporting each R  & line break &
> ...struggling to get it to work.

> Any help welcomed.

> Patrick

Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:16:10 GMT

1. Interest Compounding Scenario

2. Any interesting ideas???

3. Two Interesting Ideas

4. an offbeat idea: anyone interested?

5. I am interested in your opinion DoDo.

6. Sheridan SSTAB - Interesting problem that I am getting

7. I am new and interested in learning VB

8. I am working on cool project, looking for creative idea to help

9. how to get value of ant property with Propertychange event

10. problems with vb 4 ant NT 4.0

11. MTS in a pure .Net Scenario

12. Need to use dbList in a one-many-many scenario