Women less supportive?
Author Message
 Women less supportive?

In a recent exchange explaining why you guys (and I do mean GUYS) provide
your services altruistically (in the Excel.Programming newsgroup), SVLewis
provided an explanation as to why men give so much more newsgroup support
than women (2 standard deviations different, or something).

I reproduce below his explanation, which I find difficult to accept. While I
do accept the stereotype that men are "problem solvers" (see men are from
mars, women from Venus), I also accept the stereotype that men are selfish
bastards and that women (who might be equally selfish) are far more likely
to adopt the notion that mutual co-operation is the best way to advance
one's own personal goals (see the movie about the Great Jon Nash).  Hence I
was wondering whether anyone out there could offer a better explain to the
scarcity of contributions from women (who also ask far fewer questions than
men, in the Excel.Programming newsgroup anyway - if the reply is: "women use
Office applications less extensively than men," then my question is:" why do
women make less extensive use of Office than men").

If we check the Access/Oracle/SQL newsgroups, would we find many more
replies posted by women?  Could it be that databases is a "girly" thing
(another one of my stereotypes), and that Excel is a guys thing, along with
beer, football and sports cars?

Ilan
(Don't drive a car, no idea what a quarterback (or offside) is, never
actually enjoyed drinking the pint)

NB Did I post my question in the wrong newsgroups?

----

FWIW, on a more subconscious, fundamental level, on average, the male of our
species are born problem solvers. It's simply how our brains are wired. We
just get off on anything that can be solved using logic.It makes our brains
feel good. And it accounts for the motivation behind  90% of all our
endeavors. This also explains why the vast majority of responses to requests
here are answered by males. Of course, as with every population, there are
exceptions on both ends of the gene pool bell curve, so if you're male but
you DON'T get off on solving problems, don't feel bad about it. And if
you're female and you DO get off on problem solving, fantastic. Welcome to
the club You're both  just one of the few who fall outside 2 standard
deviations from the average.

"Some people are tall; some people are short. But most people fall somewhere
in between."

Quote:

> I have received help from this news group for some time now, I actually
find
> that I use this group as my first resource, using Google search, then off
> the books.

> I do not understand the motivation behind what you guys do. I am extremely
> appreciative for all the support I have received in the past, It just
leaves
> me wondering......WHY?

> I have seen complete codes, hard long codes, done just because someone
> asked? I have no seen anyone turned down, well except the guy that asked
> have his code tightened up, but that was a lesson for us all, and he did
get
> the code in the end.

> I have told people about the support you give, since you are the reason I
> have excelled as far as I have using VBA. And the same question is asked.
> WHY?

> I want to thank you for taking your time, YOUR time in helping the people
in
> this newsgroup, and applaud your actions, I just don't know why you do it?

> I know you get paid for doing this type of thing, why are you doing it for
> free?

> James

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:48:11 GMT
 Women less supportive?
Actually I know some pretty brilliant women, who probably do support a news
group, maybe not this one, but as long as we get support:)

Choices I guess, hobbies maybe? Just because I read the posts daily and
enjoy it, that doesn't mean the wife does, as she has made clear many times.

Some people leave work at work, some people just use the computer to email,
some to surf the web, some people just play games on it.

I guess the point is people will have their opinions and reasons,
but kudos to you for posting such a topic.

I'm sure you will have some interesting with the responses.

James

Quote:
> [...]

> > me wondering......WHY?

> > I have seen complete codes, hard long codes, done just because someone
> > asked? I have no seen anyone turned down, well except the guy that asked
> > have his code tightened up, but that was a lesson for us all, and he did
> get
> > the code in the end.

> > I have told people about the support you give, since you are the reason
> > have excelled as far as I have using VBA. And the same question is
asked.
> > WHY?

> > I want to thank you for taking your time, YOUR time in helping the
people
> in
> > this newsgroup, and applaud your actions, I just don't know why you do
it?

> > I know you get paid for doing this type of thing, why are you doing it

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:38:13 GMT
 Women less supportive?
I'm a guy and I don't drink 'pints' (well ok maybe a microbrew here or
there), don't watch sports, nor do I have a car.

Quote:
> I reproduce below his explanation, which I find difficult to accept.

*** lots of inane chatter ***

Quote:
> I also accept the stereotype that men are selfish
> bastards and that women (who might be equally selfish) are far more likely
> to adopt the notion that mutual co-operation is the best way

So you disagree with one person's explanation, and use that disagreement to
categorically insult an entire sex on a public newsgroup. Wowie..thank god
so many people don't think like you.

Quote:
> If we check the Access/Oracle/SQL newsgroups, would we find many more
> replies posted by women?

Why don't you look into it and report the results?

Quote:
> if the reply is: "women use
> Office applications less extensively than men," then my question is:" why
do
> women make less extensive use of Office than men").

Sounds like you are asking yourself and answering your own question. What's
the final answer?

Quote:
> If we check the Access/Oracle/SQL newsgroups, would we find many more
> replies posted by women?  Could it be that databases is a "girly" thing
> (another one of my stereotypes), and that Excel is a guys thing, along
with
> beer, football and sports cars?

What a load of bs!

Quote:
> (Don't drive a car, no idea what a quarterback (or offside) is, never
> actually enjoyed drinking the pint)

I didn't even know the WORD "offside" until you brought it up. Of what sport
does that belong?

Lady, I fry my own eggs, wash my own dishes, calculate my own numbers. Got a
problem with that? Oh, and I drink tea.

Keep up these posts...they are very amusing.

for the rest of your life and there is nothing you can do about it.

Quote:
> [...]

> > me wondering......WHY?

> > I have seen complete codes, hard long codes, done just because someone
> > asked? I have no seen anyone turned down, well except the guy that asked
> > have his code tightened up, but that was a lesson for us all, and he did
> get
> > the code in the end.

> > I have told people about the support you give, since you are the reason
> > have excelled as far as I have using VBA. And the same question is
asked.
> > WHY?

> > I want to thank you for taking your time, YOUR time in helping the
people
> in
> > this newsgroup, and applaud your actions, I just don't know why you do
it?

> > I know you get paid for doing this type of thing, why are you doing it

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:22:28 GMT
 Women less supportive?
Isn't it just that there are a lot more men in IT than
women? I think only 1 woman I have ever met has been
interested in my work, and one other knows how to use a
computer.
Not to be sexist, it's just something I've personally
observed.

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:10:13 GMT
 Women less supportive?
If "this one" means "microsoft.public.word.vba.general", there are loads who
support it. Personally, I think this is a weird discussion to be having at
all.

Regards

Dave

> [...]

| > > asked? I have no seen anyone turned down, well except the guy that
asked
| > > have his code tightened up, but that was a lesson for us all, and he
did
| > get
| > > the code in the end.
| > >
| > > I have told people about the support you give, since you are the
reason
| > > have excelled as far as I have using VBA. And the same question is
| asked.
| > > WHY?
| > >
| > > I want to thank you for taking your time, YOUR time in helping the
| people
| > in
| > > this newsgroup, and applaud your actions, I just don't know why you do
| it?
| > >
| > > I know you get paid for doing this type of thing, why are you doing it

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 19:54:33 GMT
 Women less supportive?
I feel a strong compulsion to solve this problem.

Enter the appropriate numbers in the following cells:
A1: number of questions from women
A2: number of answers from women
A3: number of questions from men
A4: number of answers from men

In cell B1, enter this formula, being very careful to watch the
spaces:
=IF(ISERROR(OR(AND(A3>A1,AVERAGE(A2:A3)<A1^2,AND(STDEV(A2,A3)>A3^3,((A2-A1)/A3*(A1-A4)/(A1-A1))=0)))),"Jets","No")

I hope this helps.
Paul

Quote:

> [...]

> > > me wondering......WHY?

> > > I have seen complete codes, hard long codes, done just because someone
> > > asked? I have no seen anyone turned down, well except the guy that asked
> > > have his code tightened up, but that was a lesson for us all, and he did
>  get
> > > the code in the end.

> > > I have told people about the support you give, since you are the reason
> > > have excelled as far as I have using VBA. And the same question is
>  asked.
> > > WHY?

> > > I want to thank you for taking your time, YOUR time in helping the
>  people
>  in
> > > this newsgroup, and applaud your actions, I just don't know why you do
>  it?

> > > I know you get paid for doing this type of thing, why are you doing it

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:39:03 GMT
 Women less supportive?
Oops, I made a small error in my formula.  Substitute "NYGiants" for
"NYJets" and "SF49ers" for "No".  Otherwise, you'll get totally
misleading results.  Sorry for the error.

Paul

Quote:

> [...]

> > > me wondering......WHY?

> > > I have seen complete codes, hard long codes, done just because someone
> > > asked? I have no seen anyone turned down, well except the guy that asked
> > > have his code tightened up, but that was a lesson for us all, and he did
>  get
> > > the code in the end.

> > > I have told people about the support you give, since you are the reason
> > > have excelled as far as I have using VBA. And the same question is
>  asked.
> > > WHY?

> > > I want to thank you for taking your time, YOUR time in helping the
>  people
>  in
> > > this newsgroup, and applaud your actions, I just don't know why you do
>  it?

> > > I know you get paid for doing this type of thing, why are you doing it

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:53:37 GMT
 Women less supportive?
Thanks for the clarification. That "No" worried me. :-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Quote:
> [...]

> >  our
> > > species are born problem solvers. It's simply how our brains are wired. We
> > > just get off on anything that can be solved using logic.It makes our
> >  brains
> > > feel good. And it accounts for the motivation behind  90% of all our
> > > endeavors. This also explains why the vast majority of responses to
> >  requests
> > > here are answered by males. Of course, as with every population, there are
> > > exceptions on both ends of the gene pool bell curve, so if you're male but
> > > you DON'T get off on solving problems, don't feel bad about it. And if
> > > you're female and you DO get off on problem solving, fantastic. Welcome to
> > > the club You're both  just one of the few who fall outside 2 standard
> > > deviations from the average.

> > > "Some people are tall; some people are short. But most people fall

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:33:43 GMT
 Women less supportive?
Hi, Tim,

Maybe it's also a geographical difference -- where I work (software engineering, not IT) in the
eastern U.S.A., the distribution is about half and half, certainly no more than 60% male/40% female.
The distribution in computer science programs graduating from local universities is also fairly
even.

What I *have* noticed is that very few of the people I work with use newsgroups at all. Their loss!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP        Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word

Quote:
> Isn't it just that there are a lot more men in IT than
> women? I think only 1 woman I have ever met has been
> interested in my work, and one other knows how to use a
> computer.
> Not to be sexist, it's just something I've personally
> observed.

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:18:25 GMT
 Women less supportive?
My sincere apologies for offending.  I deliberately chose a controversial
style of writing.  However, I did not intend to offend

There are 4 ways (at least) to represent the fact that men participate more
than women in the newsgroups:

1.  Men ask more questions     (men are more helpless)
2.  Men post more replies        (men are more supportive)
3.  Women ask fewer question   (women are less helpless)
4.  Women provide fewer answers (women are less supportive)

The title i chose, coupled with the poignant words in the body of the text,
could have offended?  My apologies.

So clearly yes, the true question I am asking is not "are women less
supportive than men" - a generalisation which certainly could not be true,
but "why do so many more men use the newsgroups."

On average the number of women making use of Office applications is equal to
the number of women making use of Office applications (at least so I think).
And when we work with Office, we all want to improve our efficiency.  We
start playing around, recording a few macro, editing the macro code, writing
our own code, and sooner or later, despite Microsoft best endeavours, we get
stuck.  We turn to the wonderful world of newsgroups.

At the start,

male participants = female participants.

At the end,

men >> women.

What causes more males to follow this path than women?   That is the true
question  which I first worded from a much more teasing perspective. So now
I chose a different subject line, just to balance things out (do you think
that anyone will answer me the next time I post a question?)

Once again, apologies for raising the question in words which did offend.

NB: offside.  "Football" means different things to different readers.  For
some, it is grapping the ball with your hands, and running to the other
side.  For others it means kicking the ball past the goalie into the net
(touching the hands with your balls is a big no no).  In the USA, the latter
sport is referred to as Soccer.  Offside is passing the ball to a fellow
team-mate, when there was no opposition player between the team-mate and the
opposition goalie.

NBB, thanks for making me famous :-)    (or should that be infamous)

Ilan

Quote:
> I'm a guy and I don't drink 'pints' (well ok maybe a microbrew here or
> there), don't watch sports, nor do I have a car.

> > I reproduce below his explanation, which I find difficult to accept.

> *** lots of inane chatter ***

> > I also accept the stereotype that men are selfish
> > bastards and that women (who might be equally selfish) are far more
likely
> > to adopt the notion that mutual co-operation is the best way

> So you disagree with one person's explanation, and use that disagreement
> categorically insult an entire sex on a public newsgroup. Wowie..thank god
> so many people don't think like you.

> > If we check the Access/Oracle/SQL newsgroups, would we find many more
> > replies posted by women?

> Why don't you look into it and report the results?

> > if the reply is: "women use
> > Office applications less extensively than men," then my question is:"
why
> do
> > women make less extensive use of Office than men").

> Sounds like you are asking yourself and answering your own question.
What's
> the final answer?

> > If we check the Access/Oracle/SQL newsgroups, would we find many more
> > replies posted by women?  Could it be that databases is a "girly" thing
> > (another one of my stereotypes), and that Excel is a guys thing, along
> with
> > beer, football and sports cars?

> What a load of bs!

> > (Don't drive a car, no idea what a quarterback (or offside) is, never
> > actually enjoyed drinking the pint)

> I didn't even know the WORD "offside" until you brought it up. Of what
sport
> does that belong?

> Lady, I fry my own eggs, wash my own dishes, calculate my own numbers. Got
> problem with that? Oh, and I drink tea.

> Keep up these posts...they are very amusing.

google
> [...]

> > > asked? I have no seen anyone turned down, well except the guy that
asked
> > > have his code tightened up, but that was a lesson for us all, and he
did
> > get
> > > the code in the end.

> > > I have told people about the support you give, since you are the
reason
> > > have excelled as far as I have using VBA. And the same question is
> asked.
> > > WHY?

> > > I want to thank you for taking your time, YOUR time in helping the
> people
> > in
> > > this newsgroup, and applaud your actions, I just don't know why you do
> it?

> > > I know you get paid for doing this type of thing, why are you doing it

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:08:29 GMT
 Women less supportive?
That is a very good answer! (although I am still trying to figure it out).
And hopefully it does answer the explicit question I asked.  The answer is
"no",  men are less supportive than women.   You chose an excellent way of
putting me in my place and providing the answer using Excel (I always know
that you could do everything with Excel).

However, the underlying issue which bothers me remains unresolved.

On average the number of men making use of Office applications is (I
suspect) equal to
the number of women making use of Office. And when we work with Office, we
all want to improve our efficiency.  We
start playing around, recording a few macros, editing the macro code,
writing
our own code, and sooner or later, despite Microsoft best endeavours, we get
stuck.  We turn to the wonderful world of newsgroups.At the start, men
participants are approximately equal to women.  By the time we reach
newsgroups
they outnumber women.

What causes more males to follow this path than women?

No need to answer this time -

Quote:
> I feel a strong compulsion to solve this problem.

> Enter the appropriate numbers in the following cells:
> A1: number of questions from women
> A2: number of answers from women
> A3: number of questions from men
> A4: number of answers from men

> In cell B1, enter this formula, being very careful to watch the
> spaces:

=IF(ISERROR(OR(AND(A3>A1,AVERAGE(A2:A3)<A1^2,AND(STDEV(A2,A3)>A3^3,((A2-A1)/
A3*(A1-A4)/(A1-A1))=0)))),"Jets","No")
Quote:

> I hope this helps.
> Paul

Quote:
> [...]

wired. We
> > > just get off on anything that can be solved using logic.It makes our
> >  brains
> > > feel good. And it accounts for the motivation behind  90% of all our
> > > endeavors. This also explains why the vast majority of responses to
> >  requests
> > > here are answered by males. Of course, as with every population, there
are
> > > exceptions on both ends of the gene pool bell curve, so if you're male
but
> > > you DON'T get off on solving problems, don't feel bad about it. And if
> > > you're female and you DO get off on problem solving, fantastic.
Welcome to
> > > the club You're both  just one of the few who fall outside 2 standard
> > > deviations from the average.

> > > "Some people are tall; some people are short. But most people fall

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:20:47 GMT
 Women less supportive?
Perhaps women check out the newsgroups and see some of the juvenile male
their support elsewhere.

-Greg

Quote:
> [...]

> > > so many people don't think like you.

> > > Why don't you look into it and report the results?

> why
> > >  do

> > > Sounds like you are asking yourself and answering your own question.
> What's
> > > the final answer?

> thing
> > >  with

> > > What a load of bs!

> > > I didn't even know the WORD "offside" until you brought it up. Of what
> sport
> > > does that belong?

> > > Lady, I fry my own eggs, wash my own dishes, calculate my own numbers.
> Got a
> > > problem with that? Oh, and I drink tea.

> > > Keep up these posts...they are very amusing.

> google
> > > for the rest of your life and there is nothing you can do about it.

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:42:49 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. DUNK DUNK man DUNK women DUNK High man DUNK High women

2. a little help (for a little person)

3. Excel object uses less and less of CPU

4. ♀♂More Efficiency,More Benefit,Less Risk,Less Work!

5. I'M LOOKING FOR JEWISH WOMAN

6. Beautiful Women & Men 59361322

7. Beautiful Women & Men

8. Getting "lucky" with women using VB

9. Meet a BEAUTIFUL Woman TONIGHT!!!!!! 2609 - denver_fantasy_girls.htm

10. Women Programmers in VB5