"Fuzzy" searching of public folders
Author Message
 "Fuzzy" searching of public folders

Hey everyone,

I have built a form for my com add-in which searches multiple public contact
folders. All is working very nicely with the restrict method on the folders.

My next extension for the form is "fuzzy" searching. Putting in a word and
returning words which almost match it, phrases that contain it, etc. Very
much like a search engine. I have found out that MS Site Server has the
capability to search through Exchange public folders "fuzzily" ;-). Now
before I go and install another great MS product which I will then have to
manage, is there a way to achieve this within Outlook/VB/VBScript/CDO/etc
etc...

Thanks,
Angus Grant.

Ephox Internet

ICQ - 40898744
Web - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 13:12:22 GMT
 "Fuzzy" searching of public folders

Once again, I have solved my own problem. Amazing what you can find on the
net.

I have found a form, by a guy called Marko Wild, on www.outlookexchange.com.
It does not do "fuzzy" searching but gets near enough to what I need to
implement. Basically my users want to put in "an" and get results "angus",
"Andrew", "angie", etc. Very basic "fuzzy" searching...

Basically this guy uses Items.Find and restricts the find to "an" and then
also "ao" then does a logic search for the "fuzzy" part. e.g.
Set SearchItem = MyItems.Find("([FirstName]>=""an""and[FirstName]<""ao"")
Pretty smart and I didn't realise that there was a "Find" method. Coolness.

There is a sample page there with lots of examples and sample forms.
http://www.outlookexchange.com/outlookcodeexample.html.

c ya!
Angus.

Quote:
> Hey everyone,

> I have built a form for my com add-in which searches multiple public
contact
> folders. All is working very nicely with the restrict method on the
folders.

> My next extension for the form is "fuzzy" searching. Putting in a word and
> returning words which almost match it, phrases that contain it, etc. Very
> much like a search engine. I have found out that MS Site Server has the
> capability to search through Exchange public folders "fuzzily" ;-). Now
> before I go and install another great MS product which I will then have to
> manage, is there a way to achieve this within Outlook/VB/VBScript/CDO/etc
> etc...

> Thanks,
> Angus Grant.

> Ephox Internet

> ICQ - 40898744
> Web - http://www.ephox.com

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 05:40:31 GMT
 "Fuzzy" searching of public folders

Quote:

> Basically this guy uses Items.Find and restricts the find to "an" and then
> also "ao" then does a logic search for the "fuzzy" part. e.g.
> Set SearchItem = MyItems.Find("([FirstName]>=""an""and[FirstName]<""ao"")
> Pretty smart and I didn't realise that there was a "Find" method. Coolness.

No only is there a .find method, there is a .sort method, but both are tricky
to use.

 Hollis D. Paul [MVP - Outlook]

 Using Virtual Access 4.52 build 277 (32-bit), Windows 2000 build 2195

 Mukilteo, WA  USA

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. find "public folder"

2. Rename "public folders" name

3. Obtaining reference to "All Public Folders"

4. Please help: "Visual Basic Access" to "Public Folder"

5. Search folders "To" and "From"

6. Search Public Folders - recurse through folders

7. Assembly class public property "RootNameSpace" needed

8. "Public Type" problem

9. "Variable not defined", though have declared them as public

10. *"*-.,._,.-*"* I"LL TRADE VISUAL C++ FOR VBASIC *"*-.,_,.-*"*

11. "NO CREATABLE PUBLIC COMPONENT DETECTED"

12. Public "Off-the-Shelf" Applications