Tracking .doc file changes
Author Message
 Tracking .doc file changes

Hey, all.  Looking for suggestions on the following scenario:

I'm a writer.  As such, I work on a lot of different Word docs, depending on
what project I'm currently working on.  At the moment, I've been manually
tracking my production by entering project names, dates and page/word counts
into an Excel spreadsheet.  Later, I run graphing to produce simple bar/line
charts of daily/monthly production.  Here's my question:

Is it possible to write a VBA macro to run through specified folders,
checking .doc files and logging changes (deletions and additions) to some
sort of database (outlook, excel, access, whatever)  which can be viewed
later or used to create production graphs?  I'm not concerned with actual
time spent on a project, just the content growth.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:02:30 GMT
 Tracking .doc file changes
Hi Martin,

You can read in folder listings from VBA using Application.Filesearch.
You can access built-in and custom document properties from VBA using a
Microsoft dll called DSOFile.dll.

I have used both of these approaches in tracking documentation through Excel
and in an ASP web solution.

Mail me if you would like a copy of a working spreadsheet.

Max.

Quote:
> Hey, all.  Looking for suggestions on the following scenario:

> I'm a writer.  As such, I work on a lot of different Word docs, depending
on
> what project I'm currently working on.  At the moment, I've been manually
> tracking my production by entering project names, dates and page/word
counts
> into an Excel spreadsheet.  Later, I run graphing to produce simple
bar/line
> charts of daily/monthly production.  Here's my question:

> Is it possible to write a VBA macro to run through specified folders,
> checking .doc files and logging changes (deletions and additions) to some
> sort of database (outlook, excel, access, whatever)  which can be viewed
> later or used to create production graphs?  I'm not concerned with actual
> time spent on a project, just the content growth.

> Any help appreciated.

> Cheers,

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 19:55:07 GMT

1. tracking word doc changes

2. KEEPING TRACK OF WORD DOC FILES

3. How to change or save a MS Word file (*.doc) to a *.html file in VBScript

4. history file or DB tracking all possible changes

5. Track File/Folder changes

6. Auto Download of doc files into new doc file from a web site

7. Cannot change link to an excel source file in my word doc

8. How to change .doc files to .txt ???

9. How do you drop doc files from a intranet site into a new word doc

10. BuiltInDocumentProperties from non-Word text files + testing if a DOC file is a Word file

11. Track changes in db

12. Tracking user changes to records