NotInList works 99% of the time
Author Message
 NotInList works 99% of the time

However whenever there is a "]" in the new data string a strange thing
occurs. After the string is added to the table and focus returns to the data
entry form, "the text you entered isn't an item in the list." warning
appears. After ok is clicked, focus stays in the new data field and if I try
to tab out, my original NotInList warning box appears again, after clicking
yes it goes through the whole thing again, over and over. However, if I
start backspacing, after I get past the "]", it will find the new data in
the dropdown list, then I can click it and tab to the next field. (The new
data did get posted to the table).

Why does this occur?

Paul

Private Sub Combo24_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)

 On Error GoTo Err_Command24_Click
    Dim strMsg As String
    Dim strUCNewData As String
    strUCNewData = UCase(NewData)
    strMsg = strUCNewData & _
    " is not a valid Document. Please check the entry. If this is a new
Document, choose YES."
    If MsgBox(strMsg, vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "NOT A CONTROL DOCUMENT") =
vbYes Then
        DoCmd.OpenForm "Enter New Doc During ECN", _
        DataMode:=acFormAdd, _
        WindowMode:=acDialog, _
        OpenArgs:=strUCNewData
        Response = acDataErrAdded
    Else
       Response = acDataErrContinue
    End If

Exit_Command24_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_Command24_Click:
    MsgBox Err.Number & Err.Description
    Resume Exit_Command24_Click

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:39:55 GMT
 NotInList works 99% of the time
Paul, this does look like a bug in Access 2002 (and probably 2000).
Access 97 does not seem to exhibit this bug.

My tests used the NotInList procedure at:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/abrowne1/ser-27.html
which is different from yours, so the bug is not in your code.

As you probably know, the square brackets have special meaning in Access as
delimiters for object names. It looks like the Microsoft's code for handling
NewData succeeds in writing the value to the table, but then fails to
recognise the value in the list.

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional)
Allen Browne's Database And Training - Perth, Western Australia.

Quote:
> However whenever there is a "]" in the new data string a strange thing
> occurs. After the string is added to the table and focus returns to the
data
> entry form, "the text you entered isn't an item in the list." warning
> appears. After ok is clicked, focus stays in the new data field and if I
try
> to tab out, my original NotInList warning box appears again, after
clicking
> yes it goes through the whole thing again, over and over. However, if I
> start backspacing, after I get past the "]", it will find the new data in
> the dropdown list, then I can click it and tab to the next field. (The new
> data did get posted to the table).

> Why does this occur?

> Paul

> Private Sub Combo24_NotInList(NewData As String, Response As Integer)

>  On Error GoTo Err_Command24_Click
>     Dim strMsg As String
>     Dim strUCNewData As String
>     strUCNewData = UCase(NewData)
>     strMsg = strUCNewData & _
>     " is not a valid Document. Please check the entry. If this is a new
> Document, choose YES."
>     If MsgBox(strMsg, vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "NOT A CONTROL DOCUMENT") =
> vbYes Then
>         DoCmd.OpenForm "Enter New Doc During ECN", _
>         DataMode:=acFormAdd, _
>         WindowMode:=acDialog, _
>         OpenArgs:=strUCNewData
>         Response = acDataErrAdded
>     Else
>        Response = acDataErrContinue
>     End If

> Exit_Command24_Click:
>     Exit Sub

> Err_Command24_Click:
>     MsgBox Err.Number & Err.Description
>     Resume Exit_Command24_Click

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 11:50:42 GMT
 NotInList works 99% of the time
Allen,

I am looking for a work around. Using your code and adding 3 lines:

Function Append2Table(cbo As ComboBox, NewData As Variant) As Integer
On Error GoTo Err_Append2Table
' Purpose:   Append NotInList value to combo's recordset.
' Assumes:   ControlSource of combo has the same name as the foreign key
field.
' Return:    acDataErrAdded if added, else acDataErrContinue
' Usage:     Add this line to the combo's NotInList event procedure:
'                Response = Append2Table(Me.MyCombo, NewData)
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim sMsg As String
    Dim vField As Variant       ' Name of the field to append to.

    Append2Table = acDataErrContinue
    vField = cbo.ControlSource
    If Not (IsNull(vField) Or IsNull(NewData)) Then
        sMsg = "Do you wish to add the entry " & NewData & " for " &
cbo.Name & "?"
        If MsgBox(sMsg, vbOKCancel + vbQuestion, "Add new value?") = vbOK
Then
            Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(cbo.RowSource)
            rst.AddNew
                rst(vField) = NewData
            rst.Update
            rst.Close
            Append2Table = acDataErrAdded
            cbo.Value = NewData                         'my addition
            SendKeys "{Tab}"                               'my addition
        End If
    End If

Exit_Append2Table:
    Set rst = Nothing
    Exit Function

Err_Append2Table:
    MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description, vbInformation,
"Append2Table()"
    Resume Exit_Append2Table
End Function

and:
Response = Append2Table(Me![Combo24], NewData)
Response = acDataErrContinue                                        'my
addition

Will totally work around this issue. Please look at my code and give me your
analysis.

Paul

Quote:
> Paul, this does look like a bug in Access 2002 (and probably 2000).
> Access 97 does not seem to exhibit this bug.

> My tests used the NotInList procedure at:
>     http://users.bigpond.net.au/abrowne1/ser-27.html
> which is different from yours, so the bug is not in your code.

> As you probably know, the square brackets have special meaning in Access
as
> delimiters for object names. It looks like the Microsoft's code for
handling
> NewData succeeds in writing the value to the table, but then fails to
> recognise the value in the list.

> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional)
> Allen Browne's Database And Training - Perth, Western Australia.
> Tips for MS Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> Reply to the newsgroup. (Email address has spurious "_SpamTrap")

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 21:37:06 GMT
 NotInList works 99% of the time
I found one issue, but for my database it will be ok. A value with ] can be
entered, then added to list. Then after this continuas form is closed and
re-opened, entering it again and the combo will find it. This is good.
However if it is entered, then added to list, then while this continuas form
is still opened, it is added again, it does not find it in the combo and
wants to add it again. This condition will never happen to us, since items
are only to be entered once during each data entry session.

Paul

Quote:
> [...]

> > Paul, this does look like a bug in Access 2002 (and probably 2000).
> > Access 97 does not seem to exhibit this bug.

> > My tests used the NotInList procedure at:
> >     http://users.bigpond.net.au/abrowne1/ser-27.html
> > which is different from yours, so the bug is not in your code.

> > As you probably know, the square brackets have special meaning in Access
> as
> > delimiters for object names. It looks like the Microsoft's code for
> handling
> > NewData succeeds in writing the value to the table, but then fails to
> > recognise the value in the list.

> > --
> > Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional)
> > Allen Browne's Database And Training - Perth, Western Australia.
> > Tips for MS Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> > Reply to the newsgroup. (Email address has spurious "_SpamTrap")

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:49:54 GMT
 NotInList works 99% of the time
Hmm. Sendkeys is buggy (e.g. plays with the NumLock state), and the idea of
setting it up to tab out of the combo while NotInList is still running is
not very appealing.

My workarounds may not be suitable for your. Either:
- move to project into Access 97 which does not have this bug, or
- prevent users from entering the "]" character in the combo's KeyPress
event (by setting KeyAscii to zero if it's 93).

--
> [...]

> > > Access 97 does not seem to exhibit this bug.

> > > My tests used the NotInList procedure at:
> > >     http://users.bigpond.net.au/abrowne1/ser-27.html
> > > which is different from yours, so the bug is not in your code.

> > > As you probably know, the square brackets have special meaning in
Access
> > as
> > > delimiters for object names. It looks like the Microsoft's code for
> > handling
> > > NewData succeeds in writing the value to the table, but then fails to
> > > recognise the value in the list.

> > > --
> > > Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional)
> > > Allen Browne's Database And Training - Perth, Western Australia.
> > > Tips for MS Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> > > Reply to the newsgroup. (Email address has spurious "_SpamTrap")

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:30:58 GMT
 NotInList works 99% of the time
I know about the advisability of avoiding SendKeys (I was hoping maybe u had
an alternative). Why is tab out while NotInList running not appealing?

Yes, we can not go back to a97, and we need to use ] for select entrees.

thanks for your input,
Paul

Quote:
> [...]

> > >             Append2Table = acDataErrAdded
> > >             cbo.Value = NewData                         'my addition
> > >             SendKeys "{Tab}"                               'my
addition
> > >         End If
> > >     End If

> > > Exit_Append2Table:
> > >     Set rst = Nothing
> > >     Exit Function

> > > Err_Append2Table:
> > >     MsgBox "Error " & Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description,
> vbInformation,
> > > "Append2Table()"
> > >     Resume Exit_Append2Table
> > > End Function

> > > and:
> > > Response = Append2Table(Me![Combo24], NewData)
> > > Response = acDataErrContinue
'my
> > > addition

> > > Will totally work around this issue. Please look at my code and give

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:48:31 GMT
 NotInList works 99% of the time
Duh, Alternative to SendKeys would be to set focus to the next field, like
duh, I should have thought of this.

Quote:
> I know about the advisability of avoiding SendKeys (I was hoping maybe u
had
> an alternative). Why is tab out while NotInList running not appealing?

> Yes, we can not go back to a97, and we need to use ] for select entrees.

> thanks for your input,
> Paul

> > Hmm. Sendkeys is buggy (e.g. plays with the NumLock state), and the idea
> of
> > setting it up to tab out of the combo while NotInList is still running
is
> > not very appealing.

> > My workarounds may not be suitable for your. Either:
> > - move to project into Access 97 which does not have this bug, or
> > - prevent users from entering the "]" character in the combo's KeyPress
> > event (by setting KeyAscii to zero if it's 93).

> > --
> > Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional)
> > Allen Browne's Database And Training - Perth, Western Australia.
> > Tips for MS Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> > Reply to the newsgroup. (Email address has spurious "_SpamTrap")

> > > I found one issue, but for my database it will be ok. A value with ]
can
> > be
> > > entered, then added to list. Then after this continuas form is closed
> and
> > > re-opened, entering it again and the combo will find it. This is good.
> > > However if it is entered, then added to list, then while this
continuas
> > form
> > > is still opened, it is added again, it does not find it in the combo
and
> > > wants to add it again. This condition will never happen to us, since
> items
> > > are only to be entered once during each data entry session.

> > > Paul

Integer
> key

> > vbOK
> addition

> > vbInformation,

> 'my

> me
> > > your

> > Access

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:54:13 GMT
 NotInList works 99% of the time
We have an event that's not terminated correctly here (due to an Access
bug), and we're trying to work around that by stuffing a keystroke in the
keyboard buffer that aims to move control, which in turn fires a whole
string other events: KeyDown, KeyUp, Change, BeforeUpdate, AfterUpdate,
LostFocus, and Exit for the existing control, and that's before we begin
with events for the next control in the tab order or possibly for the Form
itself if the form's KeyPreview is on or it triggers an attempt to update
the form.

It may work, but when we're already dealing with a bug, ...

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional)
Allen Browne's Database And Training - Perth, Western Australia.
Tips for MS Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
Reply to the newsgroup. (Email address has spurious "_SpamTrap")

Quote:
> I know about the advisability of avoiding SendKeys (I was hoping maybe u
had
> an alternative). Why is tab out while NotInList running not appealing?

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:01:52 GMT
 NotInList works 99% of the time
true, but.....Unless someone else has another idea, I am going to release it
and see what happens...

I replaced SendKeys with txtNext.SetFocus, which makes it a little safer (he
crosses his fingers)

> We have an event that's not terminated correctly here (due to an Access
> bug), and we're trying to work around that by stuffing a keystroke in the
> keyboard buffer that aims to move control, which in turn fires a whole
> string other events: KeyDown, KeyUp, Change, BeforeUpdate, AfterUpdate,
> LostFocus, and Exit for the existing control, and that's before we begin
> with events for the next control in the tab order or possibly for the Form
> itself if the form's KeyPreview is on or it triggers an attempt to update
> the form.

> It may work, but when we're already dealing with a bug, ...

> --
> Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional)
> Allen Browne's Database And Training - Perth, Western Australia.
> Tips for MS Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
> Reply to the newsgroup. (Email address has spurious "_SpamTrap")

> > I know about the advisability of avoiding SendKeys (I was hoping maybe u
> had
> > an alternative). Why is tab out while NotInList running not appealing?

Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:22:10 GMT

1. activeX-dll hangs with 99% cpu-time

2. dllHost hangs with 99% cpu time

3. activeX-dll hangs with 99% cpu-time

4. Access97, Win95 Error 76 Path error 99

5. Loss of all '99 Inbox e-mail after ie5 download

6. The Access Web - Updates (June 7th, '99)

7. Outlook 2000 Y2K+99 bug

8. "= rand (200,99)"

9. :Multi-Thread Takes 99% CPU VB.NET:Help:

10. Adding customer ID in this format PLEASE (YYYYMMDD##) ## is counter 01 to 99 for each day

11. Personal Robotics News - April/99