Access 97 Database Corruption
Author Message
 Access 97 Database Corruption

I have been having VBA332.dll Page fault problems in a large Access 97
databases for some time.

Here is the result of my experience, which may be of some help to someone
else

1. I understand that application developed in Access95 which had VBA232.dll
page fault problems can carry the problem forward when converted to Access
97.
2.The following steps appear to have resolved my problems
2.1 When first opening the database to continue development, I open any
standard module, enter a few characters, close the module WITHOUT saving the
module, and then reopen the Module and run Compile All Modules. Then run
Compile and Save All Modules twice. The Compile and Save All Modules menu
item is NOT disabled the first time, but is disabled the second time. If I
do NOT follow the above practice, and simply start working in some code and
run the compiler, large applications never compile.
3. I discovered that the database can be corrupted when I read say a long
DataType variable value from a recordset and pass the value direct to
procedure that expects a Long Data Type.  However, when reading the
variable, if I set it specifically to be a Long Data Type eg lngX=rstX!X the
database is not corrupted. As standard practice I now set the datatype of
every variable, before passing the value to a procedure
4.Lastly, I think on occasions I have set a variable as Me.txtX instead of
using the bang Me!txtX. I suspect this has also caused the Page Fault
problem.

There is no Access 97 fix these problems. It has been suggested that the
problems are likely to relate to some of the complex forms in the
applications. It has been recommended that I create a new form for these
complex forms, and copy each control from the old form to the new form. When
you do this I understand Access builds a completely new control from
scratch. Importing the form from one database to another does NOT address
any of the above problems

Regards

Merv Couper

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Access 97 Database Corruption
Sorry I have just noticed an error in the above message

"if I set it specifically to be a Long Data Type eg lngX=rstX!X " should
have read

"if I set it specifically to be a Long Data Type eg lngX=Clng(rstX!X )"

The Access Repair method does NOT repair the Database under these conditions
However, I have had success by using  the undocumented Decompile command
followed by importing the decompiled application into an new database

The Michael Kaplan article on the Decompile command was very helpful. Thanks
Michael
Refer to http://www.trigeminal.com/usenet.html#2

Also there is a lot of good articles at http://home.att.net/~dashish/
on similar problems. Just search on the word Decompile

Regards Merv Couper

Quote:
> I have been having VBA332.dll Page fault problems in a large Access 97
> databases for some time.

> Here is the result of my experience, which may be of some help to someone
> else

> 1. I understand that application developed in Access95 which had
VBA232.dll
> page fault problems can carry the problem forward when converted to Access
> 97.
> 2.The following steps appear to have resolved my problems
> 2.1 When first opening the database to continue development, I open any
> standard module, enter a few characters, close the module WITHOUT saving
the
> module, and then reopen the Module and run Compile All Modules. Then run
> Compile and Save All Modules twice. The Compile and Save All Modules menu
> item is NOT disabled the first time, but is disabled the second time. If I
> do NOT follow the above practice, and simply start working in some code
and
> run the compiler, large applications never compile.
> 3. I discovered that the database can be corrupted when I read say a long
> DataType variable value from a recordset and pass the value direct to
> procedure that expects a Long Data Type.  However, when reading the
> variable, if I set it specifically to be a Long Data Type eg lngX=rstX!X
the
> database is not corrupted. As standard practice I now set the datatype of
> every variable, before passing the value to a procedure
> 4.Lastly, I think on occasions I have set a variable as Me.txtX instead of
> using the bang Me!txtX. I suspect this has also caused the Page Fault
> problem.

> There is no Access 97 fix these problems. It has been suggested that the
> problems are likely to relate to some of the complex forms in the
> applications. It has been recommended that I create a new form for these
> complex forms, and copy each control from the old form to the new form.
When
> you do this I understand Access builds a completely new control from
> scratch. Importing the form from one database to another does NOT address
> any of the above problems

> Regards

> Merv Couper

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Access 97 Database Corruption
Hi Merv

My partner and I have used Access 97 for 2 years without any IPF.

However from January 99 we have had heaps of problems.

Not only IPF but database corruption caused by the IPF.

To overcome this we have been using Version Source Safe VSS which loads the
database as text.

Then when you re create the database from Text files the corruption in most
but not all cases disappears.

If you do not have VSS a quick way to overcome the problem is to export all
objects using the un documented command Application.saveasText and rebuild
the database using application.LoadfromText.

The later was shown to us by Dimitri Furman and Michael Kaplan refer my post
Export/Import Forms as text.

It is still a mystery to us why Access 97 is crashing. We have logged the
problem with microsoft but with no good result.

We have loaded SR1 and SR2 and the new Jetcomp.exe but all to no avail.

The other thing to try is the decompile command.

Try this site for good info http://home.att.net/~dashish/

Wish you luck.

Regards

Sean O'Donoghue

Tue, 25 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Access 97 Database Corruption
Thanks Sean

I have found the Decompile method has got me out of trouble so far

I have not tried the undocumented  Application.SaveasText   command that you
have suggested.

Will do so, may be this may fix the issues I understand I have inherited
from the Access 95 to Access 97 conversion.

By the way, have your IPF's been due to Page Faults in the VBA332.dll ?

Thanks again

Merv Couper

Wed, 26 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Access 97 Database Corruption

Quote:

>By the way, have your IPF's been due to Page Faults in the VBA332.dll ?

Hi Merv

Yes in almost all cases the IPF were due to VBA332.dll

Regards

Sean

Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Access 97 Database Corruption

2. database corruption of access 97 from windows 2000

3. Access 97/ 2000 Database corruption

4. Access 97: Module corruption

5. Access 97 DB Corruption Recurring Problem

6. Table corruption in Access 97

7. Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit

8. Corruption, Access 97 & Visual Basic 32-Bit

9. sending bookmark data from word 97 to access 97 database

10. Choose a database in a database - Access 97

11. Using VBA to Convert Access 2000 database to Access 97

12. Creating new Access 97 database by VB code in Access 2000 module