Can I edit while saving to floppy?
Author Message
 Can I edit while saving to floppy?

I am using a macro to save an open file to floppy:

    Dim myCopy As Document
         Set myCopy = Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName)
         myCopy.SaveAs FileName:="A:\Manuscript.doc"
         myCopy.Close

My document is very large and takes 45 sec. to save on floppy (I timed it).
During that time my active window is blank and I can do nothing.
Is there a workaround that will allow me to edit while the floppy is busy?
The   | Tools | Options | Save |    menu has a check box for "Allow
Background Saves".
How is that done? Would something like that work in my case?

Steve

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:09:48 GMT
 Can I edit while saving to floppy?
Steve,

Never, never, NEVER save a document directly to a floppy or open it directly
from a floppy.  It's the express highway to file corruption and data loss.
Save to the hard disk, then move or copy it in Explorer.  (Do the reverse to
open a document that begins on a floppy.)

--

Reply ONLY to the newsgroup.  Note: MVPs do not work for Microsoft.
MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word

Quote:

> I am using a macro to save an open file to floppy:

>     Dim myCopy As Document
>          Set myCopy = Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName)
>          myCopy.SaveAs FileName:="A:\Manuscript.doc"
>          myCopy.Close

> My document is very large and takes 45 sec. to save on floppy (I timed it).
> During that time my active window is blank and I can do nothing.
> Is there a workaround that will allow me to edit while the floppy is busy?
> The   | Tools | Options | Save |    menu has a check box for "Allow
> Background Saves".
> How is that done? Would something like that work in my case?

> Steve

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:44:32 GMT
 Can I edit while saving to floppy?
Hi, Mark.

Your rather forceful admonition about never saving a file to a floppy, or
opening a file from a floppy,  is sound advice, indeed! I have heard it many
times. It has, in fact, almost become a mantra here. Now, don't get me
wrong. This is a good thing.

But I wonder if you've ever really taken the time to consider your ultimate
purpose in reflexively issuing such a message time and time again. Have you
thought about what you are really trying to do?
I have.

By virtue of the very fact that you are here answering questions, it can be
said that you are a considerate and helpful person. A person who cares about
whether or not others unknowingly blunder into a situation that might
endanger some valuable data. You want to prevent that (which makes a fine
statement about your character).

And because this is a 'beginners' newsgroup, many of the people here do not
understand the danger of which you speak. Even after being told not to do
it, sometimes they still do it. Possibly, they've done it before without
problems, so they don't fully appreciate the danger. Hence you have to
repeat the word "never" three times, making the third one a loud shout! That
is hardly the behavior of a selfish, inconsiderate person who just doesn't
give a damn about what happens to the newbe's. That says you are pretty damn
serious about getting the message out. And I applaud you for that.

But have you considered the 'damn fool' who is fully aware of the danger and
STILL wants to try some silly stunt like that? Surely your considerate
advice (meant to steer the innocent and naive clear of danger) doesn't apply
to him? At least I didn't get the impression that you are so adamant on this
subject as to try to dictate or mandate what someone can or cannot do of his
own free will, when he is fully aware of the dangers involved. Your priority
is to protect the innocent, not to impose your will on everyone in general,
right?

Now, with that said, can anybody help me?
(Or have I blown it with that last, highly opinionated statement up there?)

Apologies in advance,
Steve

Quote:
> Steve,

> Never, never, NEVER save a document directly to a floppy or open it
directly
> from a floppy.  It's the express highway to file corruption and data loss.
> Save to the hard disk, then move or copy it in Explorer.  (Do the reverse
> open a document that begins on a floppy.)

> --

> Reply ONLY to the newsgroup.  Note: MVPs do not work for Microsoft.
> MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word
> Userform demystification:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard/userforms.html
Quote:
> "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

> > I am using a macro to save an open file to floppy:

> >     Dim myCopy As Document
> >          Set myCopy = Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName)
> >          myCopy.SaveAs FileName:="A:\Manuscript.doc"
> >          myCopy.Close

> > My document is very large and takes 45 sec. to save on floppy (I timed
it).
> > During that time my active window is blank and I can do nothing.
> > Is there a workaround that will allow me to edit while the floppy is
busy?
> > The   | Tools | Options | Save |    menu has a check box for "Allow
> > Background Saves".
> > How is that done? Would something like that work in my case?

> > Steve

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:47:59 GMT
 Can I edit while saving to floppy?
Hi Steve,

You cannot access/change the document while a routine is running. It's not
just the floppy that's busy; it's Word.

HTH

Quote:
> [...]

> > MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word
> > Userform demystification:
> http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard/userforms.html
> > "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

> > > I am using a macro to save an open file to floppy:

> > >     Dim myCopy As Document
> > >          Set myCopy = Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName)
> > >          myCopy.SaveAs FileName:="A:\Manuscript.doc"
> > >          myCopy.Close

> > > My document is very large and takes 45 sec. to save on floppy (I timed
> it).
> > > During that time my active window is blank and I can do nothing.
> > > Is there a workaround that will allow me to edit while the floppy is
> busy?
> > > The   | Tools | Options | Save |    menu has a check box for "Allow
> > > Background Saves".
> > > How is that done? Would something like that work in my case?

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 00:22:38 GMT
 Can I edit while saving to floppy?
Yes, of course I've thought about what I'm trying to do, having
done it for a very long time.  I've also thought of what *you're*
trying to do, because I've done it myself, daily for months,
until the second of two catastrophic incidents, after which I
learned the risk.  I must confess I don't know what your 6
paragraphs of commentary are about.  Are you the referenced
"damn fool"?  If so, and if you plan to save to floppies anyway,
then evolution will take its course and you'll eventually lose a
very important document and then reform.  You have the opportunity
to bypass that.  If instead you were asking why I didn't write up
a full explanation of why saving to floppies is bad, that's because
we're not here to recreate the tips that are assembled elsewhere.
Item 7 on http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/TipsAndGotchas.htm
is the principal explanation of the floppy-disk issue.  (I happen
to think it's not worded strongly enough, that people may not know
a floppy already has (hidden) temp files on it leftover from a prior
failed save.)

--

> [...]

> > MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word
> > Userform demystification:
> http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard/userforms.html
> > "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

> > > I am using a macro to save an open file to floppy:

> > >     Dim myCopy As Document
> > >          Set myCopy = Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName)
> > >          myCopy.SaveAs FileName:="A:\Manuscript.doc"
> > >          myCopy.Close

> > > My document is very large and takes 45 sec. to save on floppy (I timed
> it).
> > > During that time my active window is blank and I can do nothing.
> > > Is there a workaround that will allow me to edit while the floppy is
> busy?
> > > The   | Tools | Options | Save |    menu has a check box for "Allow
> > > Background Saves".
> > > How is that done? Would something like that work in my case?

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 02:20:43 GMT
 Can I edit while saving to floppy?
Hi, Steve,

If you're willing to experiment and possibly lose a backup of a backup,
there may be a way. I'm thinking of a combination of techniques:

- Use the Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName) statement to clone the
open document.
- Then save a copy to a temp file (or a permanent backup file) on the
hard drive, not the floppy.
- Close the temp file.
- Use the FileCopy statement to copy the temp file to the floppy.
- (optional) Use the Kill statement to delete the temp file.

Between steps, throw in DoEvents calls to let other stuff happen.

I don't know whether FileCopy will halt Word while it writes out to the
floppy. If it does, you could try either the FileSystemObject.CopyFile
statement from the Scripting Runtime or the CopyFile function from the
Win32 API. There's a good example of the latter at
http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/index.html?code/fileapi/filebackup.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Quote:

> Hi, Mark.

[snip]

> But have you considered the 'damn fool' who is fully aware of the
> danger and STILL wants to try some silly stunt like that? Surely your
> considerate advice (meant to steer the innocent and naive clear of
> danger) doesn't apply to him? At least I didn't get the impression
> that you are so adamant on this subject as to try to dictate or
> mandate what someone can or cannot do of his own free will, when he
> is fully aware of the dangers involved. Your priority is to protect
> the innocent, not to impose your will on everyone in general, right?

> Now, with that said, can anybody help me?
> (Or have I blown it with that last, highly opinionated statement up
> there?)

> Apologies in advance,
> Steve

>> Steve,

>> Never, never, NEVER save a document directly to a floppy or open it
>> directly from a floppy.  It's the express highway to file corruption
>> and data loss. Save to the hard disk, then move or copy it in
>> Explorer.  (Do the reverse to open a document that begins on a
>> floppy.)

>> --

>> Reply ONLY to the newsgroup.  Note: MVPs do not work for Microsoft.
>> MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word
>> Userform demystification:
> http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard/userforms.html
>> "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

>>> I am using a macro to save an open file to floppy:

>>>     Dim myCopy As Document
>>>          Set myCopy = Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName)
>>>          myCopy.SaveAs FileName:="A:\Manuscript.doc"
>>>          myCopy.Close

>>> My document is very large and takes 45 sec. to save on floppy (I
>>> timed it). During that time my active window is blank and I can do
>>> nothing. Is there a workaround that will allow me to edit while the
>>> floppy is
> busy?
>>> The   | Tools | Options | Save |    menu has a check box for "Allow
>>> Background Saves".
>>> How is that done? Would something like that work in my case?

>>> Steve

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:18:17 GMT
 Can I edit while saving to floppy?
Yes, Mark, the word "fool" was referring to me, and I sincerely apologize if
it was misconstrued as referring to anyone else.
And, no, I was not asking for a full explanation. Your original message was
quite adequate.

What I *was* asking for was simply the opportunity to try something dumb and
foolhearty at my own risk, with my own backup of a backup document, and with
full awareness of the hazards.
You see, Mark, if a guy is bound and determined to do something, I think
that as a free society we should allow him to do it--no matter how stupid it
seems to us--with three conditions:

It must not be illegal.
It must not be immoral.
And he must understand the possible consequences.
(But I digress....)

Dave, thank you for your reply. I was worried that that may be the case.

Jay, I've printed out your response and will be working for a while on the
ideas you have supplied . Wonderful suggestions!
I get the general idea of where you are going. I know how to clone the open
document and save it to the hard drive, and how to go from there to floppy.
Not familiar with Kill statement or DoEvents call, however.
But I think with the few good books I have and a lot of "careful"
experimentation, I may come up with something.

Thanks again,
Steve

Quote:
> [...]

> > MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word
> > Userform demystification:
> http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard/userforms.html
> > "Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

> > > I am using a macro to save an open file to floppy:

> > >     Dim myCopy As Document
> > >          Set myCopy = Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName)
> > >          myCopy.SaveAs FileName:="A:\Manuscript.doc"
> > >          myCopy.Close

> > > My document is very large and takes 45 sec. to save on floppy (I timed
> it).
> > > During that time my active window is blank and I can do nothing.
> > > Is there a workaround that will allow me to edit while the floppy is
> busy?
> > > The   | Tools | Options | Save |    menu has a check box for "Allow
> > > Background Saves".
> > > How is that done? Would something like that work in my case?

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 06:31:39 GMT
 Can I edit while saving to floppy?
The following will save a copy of the open document on a floppy disk.

Sub FloppyCopyRado()
' Written by Dave Rado
' Some modifications by Charles Kenyon
' 14 June 2002
' Version 2.0
'
    Dim Button As Long
    If Len(ActiveDocument.Path) = 0 Then
        MsgBox "Please save the document on your hard disk first",
vbInformation
        Exit Sub
    ElseIf Not ActiveDocument.Saved Then
        Button = MsgBox("Save first?" & vbCr & vbCr & "If you select 'No', "
& _
            "the last saved version of this document " & _
            "will be copied from your hard disk, " & _
            "rather than the up-to-date version", _
            vbYesNoCancel + vbInformation, _
            "This document hasn't been saved since you made changes.")
        Select Case Button
            Case vbCancel
                Exit Sub
            Case vbYes
                ActiveDocument.Save
        End Select
    End If
    On Error Resume Next
    If Left$(Application.Version, 1) = "8" Then
       'Word 97
        WordBasic.CopyFile FileName:=ActiveDocument.FullName, _
        Directory:="A:\" & ActiveDocument.Name
    Else
       'Word 2000 and above
        WordBasic.CopyFileA FileName:=ActiveDocument.FullName, _
        Directory:="A:\" & ActiveDocument.Name
    End If
    If Err Then
        MsgBox "Copy failed: " & vbCr & vbCr & _
            Err.Description, vbInformation
    Else
        MsgBox "File succesfully copied to floppy." & vbCrLf _
            & "Remember, do not open or edit the file from the floppy." _
            & vbCrLf & "Copy it to your hard drive and use it from there.",
_
            vbInformation, "Copy saved on floppy disk."
    End If
End Sub
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Quote:
> I am using a macro to save an open file to floppy:

>     Dim myCopy As Document
>          Set myCopy = Documents.Add(ActiveDocument.FullName)
>          myCopy.SaveAs FileName:="A:\Manuscript.doc"
>          myCopy.Close

> My document is very large and takes 45 sec. to save on floppy (I timed
it).
> During that time my active window is blank and I can do nothing.
> Is there a workaround that will allow me to edit while the floppy is busy?
> The   | Tools | Options | Save |    menu has a check box for "Allow
> Background Saves".
> How is that done? Would something like that work in my case?

> Steve

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:48:44 GMT

1. Auto save to floppy

2. Help Pls - Saving Crystal Rpts to floppy

3. Trapping 'Save to Floppy' ERROR codes

4. Floppy force-save 95 suggestion?

5. saving data on a floppy

6. Save a file in the users floppy disk

7. Faster saving of data in grid to Access database on floppy

8. Saving data to a floppy

9. Me Newbie ? Database/add/read/edit save file to floppy

10. How do I create a canned form?

11. Canned AcctReceivable Module needed!

12. Canned pages....