Can't add new menus to a template
Author Message
 Can't add new menus to a template

When I open a template (either Normal.dot or an addin
startup template and try to add a new menu by going Tools-
Customise Commands NewMenu and drag the NewMenu command to
the top menu bar (between Window and Help), it will NOT
let me create a new menu bar (gives me a X) but it will
let me add it to a toolbar (shows a +).

My colleagues in the IT dept tell me that there is no
locking on the template and I have taken the readonly flag
off it.  Do you know where I am going wrong please?

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:52:23 GMT
 Can't add new menus to a template
Hi Stephen,

New Menu isn't for making a new menu *bar*; it's for making
a new *menu*, that is, a new top-level pulldown clickable
like File, Edit, etc.  To make an entirely new menu bar,
you want the 'Toolbars' tab of the Tools-> Customize dialog,
not the 'Commands' tab.  Click Tools-> Customize-> Toolbars
and then click the NEW button, and you'll be on your way.

If you want to place only pulldowns on your new bar rather
than icon buttons, THEN go back to Tools-> Customize->
Commands, find 'New Menu' again, drag it to your new toolbar,
right-click it to rename it, and drag commands or macros
into it from that same dialog. Repeat for each pulldown you
want.

Hope this helps.  One question: You posted this to a VBA
newsgroup (VBA = Word macros), but you're asking about
building a menu manually.  Menus can be built using VBA
macro code, which is much more complex but has certain
advantages esp. if you're going to be distributing them
far & wide, *or* they can be built manually using Tools->
Customize as you're doing.)  If you meant to build your
menu using VBA, you may be barking up the wrong tree by
starting at Tools-> Customize (unless this is just to
flesh out your prototype menu).  Post back if you need
background on the VBA methods.

--

Reply ONLY to the newsgroup.  Note: MVPs do not work for Microsoft.
MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word

Quote:

> When I open a template (either Normal.dot or an addin
> startup template and try to add a new menu by going Tools-
> Customise Commands NewMenu and drag the NewMenu command to
> the top menu bar (between Window and Help), it will NOT
> let me create a new menu bar (gives me a X) but it will
> let me add it to a toolbar (shows a +).

> My colleagues in the IT dept tell me that there is no
> locking on the template and I have taken the readonly flag
> off it.  Do you know where I am going wrong please?

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:49:51 GMT
 Can't add new menus to a template
Hi Mark
Thank you for such a speedy response to us Aussies when it
is still Sunday if you are in US!

Sorry I asked the wrong question on the wrong section!
I was wanting to add a new menu, that is a new top level
pulldown clickable like File Edit etc.

From what you say, I have the technique for doing it
correct but it won't let me drop it there so there has to
be a security/locking issue.

Thanks for helping me.
Stephen

Quote:

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:49:55 GMT
 Can't add new menus to a template

It's never really Sunday here...  ;)

Not a problem with topics and locations; I was just wondering
if you actually had a different question than what it seemed.

It's still puzzling that it blocks your customize drag.  Is
this perchance Word 2002 (which seems to have imposed a bunch
of new restrictions on various features)?

--

Reply ONLY to the newsgroup.  Note: MVPs do not work for Microsoft.
MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word
Userform demystification: http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard/userforms.html
"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

Quote:

> Hi Mark
> Thank you for such a speedy response to us Aussies when it
> is still Sunday if you are in US!

> Sorry I asked the wrong question on the wrong section!
> I was wanting to add a new menu, that is a new top level
> pulldown clickable like File Edit etc.

> From what you say, I have the technique for doing it
> correct but it won't let me drop it there so there has to
> be a security/locking issue.

> Thanks for helping me.
> Stephen

Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:19:13 GMT
 Can't add new menus to a template
Hi Mark
No I'm running 2000
However, I created a new template at home using 2000 and
could customise drag no problem.  Emailed the template to
work and same problem.  I'm about to go and give the
network guys a hard time!
Thank you
Stephen

Quote:

MVP
>> >Reply ONLY to the newsgroup.  Note: MVPs do not work
for
>> Microsoft.
>> >MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word
>> >Userform demystification:
>> http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard/userforms.html
>> >"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

>> Tools-
command
NOT
will

>> flag
>> >.

>.

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 08:20:41 GMT
 Can't add new menus to a template
Hi Mark
I was sure I had responded to this earlier in the day.
I am using 2000.
I created a template at home using 2000 with no problem,
emailed it here and it wouldn't cooperate.  Then I put it
on another users machine and she had no problem.
Therefore it is something to do with security on my
machine - I've given the challenge to the network guys!
Thanks for your help
Stephen
Quote:

MVP
>> >Reply ONLY to the newsgroup.  Note: MVPs do not work
for
>> Microsoft.
>> >MVP FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/word
>> >Userform demystification:
>> http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard/userforms.html
>> >"Life is nothing if you're not obsessed." --John Waters

>> Tools-
command
NOT
will

>> flag
>> >.

>.

Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:05:41 GMT

1. Adding new menu to Menu Bar just once

2. add new menu options on a popup menu

3. 'Canned' data in VB program

4. Saving in VBA New Menu not in Template but in document

5. Adding Menu Items to App's System Menu using VB5.0

6. Copying a menu from template to template

7. How do I add a menu to the Add-Ins menu in Visual Basic 4.0

8. how to add new menu in word 2002

9. Adding new independet menus at run time??

10. Adding A New Menu Option

11. adding a new menu item to explorer?

12. adding new menu item using API