Advice on Creating Transaction File
Author Message
 Advice on Creating Transaction File

Hello.

I will probably use access to create text files of transactions to be loaded
into another system.  The transactions will look something like this:

{HEADER}
{ROUTING}
{SEGMENT1}
{SEGMENT2}-A
{SEGMENT2}-B
{TRAILER}

As show above, certain segments can be repeating (IE:  Segment 2).  The
segments will be fixed-width.

What I am wondering is whether anyone has a good resource with some tips on
this type of project.  I have some ideas about how I can do it, but they
seem like they will have a lot of programming (IE:  For padding spaces
between data elements).

Thanks very much,

Alan

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice on Creating Transaction File
I've done this sort of thing using the basic I/O functions.  It's not really
very complicated.  What approach were you thinking of taking, and what
complications do you foresee?

--

Dirk Goldgar
(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

Quote:
> Hello.

> I will probably use access to create text files of transactions to be
loaded
> into another system.  The transactions will look something like this:

> {HEADER}
> {ROUTING}
> {SEGMENT1}
> {SEGMENT2}-A
> {SEGMENT2}-B
> {TRAILER}

> As show above, certain segments can be repeating (IE:  Segment 2).  The
> segments will be fixed-width.

> What I am wondering is whether anyone has a good resource with some tips
on
> this type of project.  I have some ideas about how I can do it, but they
> seem like they will have a lot of programming (IE:  For padding spaces
> between data elements).

> Thanks very much,

> Alan

Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice on Creating Transaction File
Thank you for the response.

I was thinking of either using multiple recordsets and looping/filtering
them as needed for each transaction or else using ADO and a heirarchael
recordset.  I was probably going to include at least one table of the layout
definition that would include field order, length, etc.  From that I would
loop through each field, truncating or padding it with spaces as needed
since the records are fixed-length.

What I want to make sure that I do is to dynamic enough that changes to the
spec don't then require much additional programming besides modifying my
recordsets and data definition tables.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks again,

Alan

Quote:
> I've done this sort of thing using the basic I/O functions.  It's not
really
> very complicated.  What approach were you thinking of taking, and what
> complications do you foresee?

> --

> Dirk Goldgar
> (remove NOSPAM from reply address)

> > Hello.

> > I will probably use access to create text files of transactions to be
> loaded
> > into another system.  The transactions will look something like this:

> > {HEADER}
> > {ROUTING}
> > {SEGMENT1}
> > {SEGMENT2}-A
> > {SEGMENT2}-B
> > {TRAILER}

> > As show above, certain segments can be repeating (IE:  Segment 2).  The
> > segments will be fixed-width.

> > What I am wondering is whether anyone has a good resource with some tips
> on
> > this type of project.  I have some ideas about how I can do it, but they
> > seem like they will have a lot of programming (IE:  For padding spaces
> > between data elements).

> > Thanks very much,

> > Alan

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Advice on Creating Transaction File
Well, it sounds to me like you're going about it in a sensible way;  in
other words, that's pretty much what I did.  I used a template table that
specified, for each type of transaction, the fields and literals, with their
output positions, widths, special formatting, etc.  I'm using A97, so I
don't know anything about ADO or hierarchical recordsets (whatever they may
be).

I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow, so I can't follow up on this until
a week from Monday.

--

Dirk Goldgar
(to reply via email, remove NOSPAM from address)

Quote:

>Thank you for the response.

>I was thinking of either using multiple recordsets and looping/filtering
>them as needed for each transaction or else using ADO and a heirarchael
>recordset.  I was probably going to include at least one table of the
layout
>definition that would include field order, length, etc.  From that I would
>loop through each field, truncating or padding it with spaces as needed
>since the records are fixed-length.

>What I want to make sure that I do is to dynamic enough that changes to the
>spec don't then require much additional programming besides modifying my
>recordsets and data definition tables.

>What are your recommendations?

>Thanks again,

>Alan

>> I've done this sort of thing using the basic I/O functions.  It's not
>really
>> very complicated.  What approach were you thinking of taking, and what
>> complications do you foresee?

>> --

>> Dirk Goldgar
>> (remove NOSPAM from reply address)

>> > Hello.

>> > I will probably use access to create text files of transactions to be
>> loaded
>> > into another system.  The transactions will look something like this:

>> > {HEADER}
>> > {ROUTING}
>> > {SEGMENT1}
>> > {SEGMENT2}-A
>> > {SEGMENT2}-B
>> > {TRAILER}

>> > As show above, certain segments can be repeating (IE:  Segment 2).  The
>> > segments will be fixed-width.

>> > What I am wondering is whether anyone has a good resource with some
tips
>> on
>> > this type of project.  I have some ideas about how I can do it, but
they
>> > seem like they will have a lot of programming (IE:  For padding spaces
>> > between data elements).

>> > Thanks very much,

>> > Alan

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Advice on creating 'grid' data form

2. Advice on creating a wizard window

3. Creating an ADO VB6 stand-alone database program (Newbie seeks advice)

4. Creating Server based transaction servers

5. need advice on creating a program...

6. Advice for creating a wizard

7. Creating Server based transaction servers

8. Advice for Creating a Report

9. Advice for creating labels with multiple formats (in CR8)

10. Cannot create new transaction because capacity was exceeded ?

11. Error: Cannot Create Transaction because Capacity was exceeded

12. Cannot create new connection because in manual or distributed transaction mode