Automatic Backup of Database
Author Message
 Automatic Backup of Database

A little help PLEASE!

Is there a way I can have my database create a copy of itself, the
first time it is opened on any given day and rename itself to to that
days date?
Possibly if it created a copy of itself and renamed it "mmddyy.mdb"
and overwrite is disabled so that only the first copy of the day is
saved?

Any help is welcomed, thanks in advance;

mlprice

Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:11:41 GMT
 Automatic Backup of Database
Martin,

You could also create a new database with the desired name and export all
objects to that database.
How to check if it is the first time this db is opened today?
Make a table with one field.
When you open the db, check the value of that field. If it's today's date,
don't do anything. If it's yesterday's date (or earlier), run your backup
code and set the value of that field to today's date.

There are other ways, but I think this is the easiest one.

Regards,

Bart.

Quote:
> A little help PLEASE!

> Is there a way I can have my database create a copy of itself, the
> first time it is opened on any given day and rename itself to to that
> days date?
> Possibly if it created a copy of itself and renamed it "mmddyy.mdb"
> and overwrite is disabled so that only the first copy of the day is
> saved?

> Any help is welcomed, thanks in advance;

> mlprice

Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:43:52 GMT
 Automatic Backup of Database
Hi Martin, we have used a product from www.fmsinc.com to do this type of
task.

Adam
Check out these HOT UTILITIES FOR ACCESS AND VB DEVELOPERS....
www.ssw.com.au
* SSW Data PRO  - Version Control for your data.mdb
* SSW Data Renovator  - Compare the differences between two data.mdb's
* SSW Upsize PRO! - Don't UPSIZE to SQL Server without it
* SSW SQL Script Wizard - A utility to run .sql files
* SSW Performance PRO! - Find out what is slow in your Access App
* SSW Contactor - An Outlook 2000 and 2000 Add-in

> A little help PLEASE!

> Is there a way I can have my database create a copy of itself, the
> first time it is opened on any given day and rename itself to to that
> days date?
> Possibly if it created a copy of itself and renamed it "mmddyy.mdb"
> and overwrite is disabled so that only the first copy of the day is
> saved?

> Any help is welcomed, thanks in advance;

> mlprice

Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:49:47 GMT

1. corrupt VBA and automatic backups

2. Comments please on automatic backup and compact routine

3. automatic backup of mailbox

4. automatic backup

5. How to ... System Backup/Restore, Backup utilities

6. How to ... System Backup/Restore, Backup utilities

7. NT Backup / Systemstate backup error

8. Make Database Backup from GUI

9. Trying to backup a database from front end w/ FileCopy

10. Create backup of database

11. How do i backup the database?

12. Deleting forms and modules in a backup database using VBA