Update fields in pg2 header of doc which may or may NOT end up w/pg2
Author Message
 Update fields in pg2 header of doc which may or may NOT end up w/pg2

Hi. Folks:

I have a letter.dot which creates a letter.  Since I am
never certain if there will be subsequent pages, I have
added a second page with <Ctrl-Enter> and placed a
header on it.  Then, I BackSpaced out the <Ctrl-Enter>
which I used to create the second page.  I don't need
a comment on this part; it works perfectly.

I have two bookmarks on the Re: portion of the first
page, with Ref fields in the second page header.  This
too works just fine, IF manually updated when and if
a second page is created by the letter becoming long
enough.

I know I have seen an answer to this problem some-
where in the news groups, but I can't for the life of me
find it.  Nor can I find the question in the FAQ's on
the MVP web site.

Regards,
David

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 09:21:52 GMT
 Update fields in pg2 header of doc which may or may NOT end up w/pg2
Hi David,

Before we get into a VBA solution, do you have "update fields at printing"
checked in your print options?

--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
http://www.addbalance.com/word

Legal Users' Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented)
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Quote:
> Hi. Folks:

> I have a letter.dot which creates a letter.  Since I am
> never certain if there will be subsequent pages, I have
> added a second page with <Ctrl-Enter> and placed a
> header on it.  Then, I BackSpaced out the <Ctrl-Enter>
> which I used to create the second page.  I don't need
> a comment on this part; it works perfectly.

> I have two bookmarks on the Re: portion of the first
> page, with Ref fields in the second page header.  This
> too works just fine, IF manually updated when and if
> a second page is created by the letter becoming long
> enough.

> I know I have seen an answer to this problem some-
> where in the news groups, but I can't for the life of me
> find it.  Nor can I find the question in the FAQ's on
> the MVP web site.

> Regards,
> David

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 10:12:50 GMT
 Update fields in pg2 header of doc which may or may NOT end up w/pg2
Chaz:

Short and sweet!  Yes! I do.

However, I have already had two typists panic over the
fact that nothing shows up in their headers but an asterisk
in each field.  You see, they _never_ print the documents
and, therefore, are never certain the fields work.  The rule
is, if they make a blatent error and the company has to eat
the cost, the typist also has to eat their end of the cost.

At any rate, "at print time" doesn't even help us in the office.
We also never print the documents.  They are printed in
batchs on the clients' printers at the time we deliver the
product over the telephone with pcANYWHERE.

My partner/proof reader/wife also doesn't like the unknown
factor of it all.  No matter how many times it works, if she
cannot see it, she doesn't believe it.

David

Quote:
> Hi David,

> Before we get into a VBA solution, do you have "update fields at printing"
> checked in your print options?

> --
> Charles Kenyon

> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
> http://www.addbalance.com/word

> Legal Users' Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented)
> http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide
>  --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.

> > Hi. Folks:

> > I have a letter.dot which creates a letter.  Since I am
> > never certain if there will be subsequent pages, I have
> > added a second page with <Ctrl-Enter> and placed a
> > header on it.  Then, I BackSpaced out the <Ctrl-Enter>
> > which I used to create the second page.  I don't need
> > a comment on this part; it works perfectly.

> > I have two bookmarks on the Re: portion of the first
> > page, with Ref fields in the second page header.  This
> > too works just fine, IF manually updated when and if
> > a second page is created by the letter becoming long
> > enough.

> > I know I have seen an answer to this problem some-
> > where in the news groups, but I can't for the life of me
> > find it.  Nor can I find the question in the FAQ's on
> > the MVP web site.

> > Regards,
> > David

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:35:54 GMT
 Update fields in pg2 header of doc which may or may NOT end up w/pg2

David,

The REF fields will always update upon printing (without a manual
update) *if* the computer on which the file is printed has that
update-at-print option checked.  So if you never print the documents
on your end, then at base it's irrelevant whether the fields show up
there.  It *is*, however, critical that this option be enabled on the
client's computer.  The only other situation I can think of that might
mess with the REF fields is if the client inadvertently erased the
bookmark.

I don't understand what you mean about the asterisks.  If you don't
have a second page, you shouldn't be able to see its header at all.

Quote:
> My partner/proof reader/wife also doesn't like the unknown
> factor of it all.  No matter how many times it works, if she
> cannot see it, she doesn't believe it.

Sounds like someone needs an ole-fashioned faith-healin' session. ;)
Failing that, if you really need to convince her, you could probably
build a little macro that adds a phantom second page, switches to
Print Preview to display the reassuring mystery field, pauses (or
waits for a click), then returns to the view you were using and
kills the page break.  Granted, it's a long way to go just to, er,
redeem and comfort the faithless, but I've done worse to detoxify
lesser fears.

------ WWW: http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard ----------------------
------------- "Life is nothing if you aren't obsessed." --John Waters

> Chaz:

> Short and sweet!  Yes! I do.

> However, I have already had two typists panic over the
> fact that nothing shows up in their headers but an asterisk
> in each field.  You see, they _never_ print the documents
> and, therefore, are never certain the fields work.  The rule
> is, if they make a blatent error and the company has to eat
> the cost, the typist also has to eat their end of the cost.

> At any rate, "at print time" doesn't even help us in the office.
> We also never print the documents.  They are printed in
> batchs on the clients' printers at the time we deliver the
> product over the telephone with pcANYWHERE.

> My partner/proof reader/wife also doesn't like the unknown
> factor of it all.  No matter how many times it works, if she
> cannot see it, she doesn't believe it.

> David

> > Hi David,

> > Before we get into a VBA solution, do you have "update fields at printing"
> > checked in your print options?

> > --
> > Charles Kenyon

> > Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
> > http://www.addbalance.com/word

> > Legal Users' Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented)
> > http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide
> >  --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> > This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> > and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> > from my ignorance and your wisdom.

> > > Hi. Folks:

> > > I have a letter.dot which creates a letter.  Since I am
> > > never certain if there will be subsequent pages, I have
> > > added a second page with <Ctrl-Enter> and placed a
> > > header on it.  Then, I BackSpaced out the <Ctrl-Enter>
> > > which I used to create the second page.  I don't need
> > > a comment on this part; it works perfectly.

> > > I have two bookmarks on the Re: portion of the first
> > > page, with Ref fields in the second page header.  This
> > > too works just fine, IF manually updated when and if
> > > a second page is created by the letter becoming long
> > > enough.

> > > I know I have seen an answer to this problem some-
> > > where in the news groups, but I can't for the life of me
> > > find it.  Nor can I find the question in the FAQ's on
> > > the MVP web site.

> > > Regards,
> > > David

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:09:17 GMT
> [...]

> > product over the telephone with pcANYWHERE.

> > My partner/proof reader/wife also doesn't like the unknown
> > factor of it all.  No matter how many times it works, if she
> > cannot see it, she doesn't believe it.

> > David

> > > Hi David,

> > > Before we get into a VBA solution, do you have "update fields at
printing"
> > > checked in your print options?

> > > --
> > > Charles Kenyon

> > > Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
> > > http://www.addbalance.com/word

> > > Legal Users' Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented)
> > > http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide
> > >  --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> > > This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> > > and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 23:57:08 GMT
 Update fields in pg2 header of doc which may or may NOT end up w/pg2
Mark:

First off.  Sorry!  I just hit my mouse with my elbow and sent
a blank "answer" to the group."

In explanation of the "asterisk" thing; twenty four plus years of
experience has taught me that no matter what, literally every
googa, doodad, bell, or whistle in a word processor comes
with at least one problem built into it.  Therefore, early on, I
found my own way of moving around in a document.  I just
happen to use an asterisk.

ALL business documents have some common language.
None of my typists ever have to type the common language
into any document.  As a simple example; the Re: portion of
an insurance report or letter may look like:

Re:  INSURED:            *
       FILE #:                  *
       CLAIMANT:         *
       DATE OF LOSS:  *....

There is no reason to type the above language each time one
types the report or letter, which is always a part of the report
or letter template.

I use two major movement macros when moving from one "fill
in the blank" area (the *) to another.  <Alt-8> (we think of it as
<Alt-*>) and <Ctrl-8> (<Ctl-*>).  One finds the next asterisk,
and the other finds a previous asterisk (in case the dictator does
not dictate everything in the set order).

In many documents, some _standard_ action needs to be taken
at a certain point.  If that action is standard, why should the typist
be required to make it happen?  For this, there are many different
format changes which can be made to a single asterisk.  If it is
underlined, for instance, the typist has finished all necessary input
to allow a macro to configure a name for the file, count the number
of previous files created on this particular "case" on this date,
figure out where the file should be saved, and then save it with
that name, in its proper location.  There is never a need for the
typist to perform all this.  When the particular asterisk is reached,
the asterisk macro checks the formatting of the asterisk and
performs the necessary standard operations.

That, gentlemen, is more than anyone ever wanted or needed to
know about my programming.  So, with that in mind and at the
risk of sounding like an arrogant ass; allow me to say that I
certainly resent being told whether or not I am in need of the
answer to a question.

If the second page of my document ever does show up, I
would like it to show up with the proper information visible.
Whether or not Microsoft or WordPerfect or anyone else
thinks I need that is a moot point, since that is my question.

I have now spent almost as much time _blabbing_ on this news
group as I spent looking for the answer in the help and on the
MVP web site.  Therefore, could someone please simply
provide some sort of answer?  And, _please_ don't make it
something which requires the typist to do something manually.
I'm certain the only answer to everything is not "Just click on...."

Thanks,

David

Quote:

> [...]

> > product over the telephone with pcANYWHERE.

> > My partner/proof reader/wife also doesn't like the unknown
> > factor of it all.  No matter how many times it works, if she
> > cannot see it, she doesn't believe it.

> > David

> > > Hi David,

> > > Before we get into a VBA solution, do you have "update fields at
printing"
> > > checked in your print options?

> > > --
> > > Charles Kenyon

> > > Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
> > > http://www.addbalance.com/word

> > > Legal Users' Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented)
> > > http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide
> > >  --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> > > This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> > > and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:59:33 GMT
 Update fields in pg2 header of doc which may or may NOT end up w/pg2

[the asterisk chronicles, snipped]

Quote:
> That, gentlemen, is more than anyone ever wanted or needed to
> know about my programming.

Ohhh, I'd wager most of us reading were probably silently comparing it
all to our own equally arcane methods for doing the same stuff.  ;)

Quote:
> So, with that in mind and at the risk of sounding like an arrogant
> ass; allow me to say that I certainly resent being told whether or
> not I am in need of the answer to a question.

That wasn't my intention.

Quote:
> If the second page of my document ever does show up, I
> would like it to show up with the proper information visible.

Well, under normal circumstances -- that is, if you simply add enough
to the first page to make it spill over -- it won't.  And I don't
think there's a clean way to make that happen.  What you could do --
and again, this is a lot of work just to calm irrational fears -- is,
for each such template, make a small userform to receive the variable
info, and in the click event that dismisses the userform, have that
info placed in the bookmarks *and* write code to add a second page,
update the fields, then remove the second page.  And that would solve
only part of your problem -- it wouldn't take care of the case where
the bookmarked info was changed *after* launching the template. (Also,
I'm now wondering if the screen flicker would be more disconcerting to
a user than a non-updated field.)

Quote:
> I have now spent almost as much time _blabbing_ on this news
> group as I spent looking for the answer in the help and on the
> MVP web site.  Therefore, could someone please simply provide some
> sort of answer?

I'm pretty sure there is no further "answer" beyond what you've already
heard here.  Nobody here tries to prolong threads unnecessarily.  The
bottom line is: A lot of the frustration you may experience from Word
is avoidable, and the key is often in educating users about how Word
works.  As many have said before, trying to make Word into a clone of
WordPerfect (or anything else) rarely works.

------ WWW: http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard ----------------------
------------- "Life is nothing if you aren't obsessed." --John Waters

 And, _please_ don't make it

Quote:
> something which requires the typist to do something manually.
> I'm certain the only answer to everything is not "Just click on...."

> Thanks,

> David

> > David,

> > The REF fields will always update upon printing (without a manual
> > update) *if* the computer on which the file is printed has that
> > update-at-print option checked.  So if you never print the documents
> > on your end, then at base it's irrelevant whether the fields show up
> > there.  It *is*, however, critical that this option be enabled on the
> > client's computer.  The only other situation I can think of that might
> > mess with the REF fields is if the client inadvertently erased the
> > bookmark.

> > I don't understand what you mean about the asterisks.  If you don't
> > have a second page, you shouldn't be able to see its header at all.

> > > My partner/proof reader/wife also doesn't like the unknown
> > > factor of it all.  No matter how many times it works, if she
> > > cannot see it, she doesn't believe it.

> > Sounds like someone needs an ole-fashioned faith-healin' session. ;)
> > Failing that, if you really need to convince her, you could probably
> > build a little macro that adds a phantom second page, switches to
> > Print Preview to display the reassuring mystery field, pauses (or
> > waits for a click), then returns to the view you were using and
> > kills the page break.  Granted, it's a long way to go just to, er,
> > redeem and comfort the faithless, but I've done worse to detoxify
> > lesser fears.

> > ------ WWW: http://www.speakeasy.org/~mtangard ----------------------
> > ------------- "Life is nothing if you aren't obsessed." --John Waters

> > > Chaz:

> > > Short and sweet!  Yes! I do.

> > > However, I have already had two typists panic over the
> > > fact that nothing shows up in their headers but an asterisk
> > > in each field.  You see, they _never_ print the documents
> > > and, therefore, are never certain the fields work.  The rule
> > > is, if they make a blatent error and the company has to eat
> > > the cost, the typist also has to eat their end of the cost.

> > > At any rate, "at print time" doesn't even help us in the office.
> > > We also never print the documents.  They are printed in
> > > batchs on the clients' printers at the time we deliver the
> > > product over the telephone with pcANYWHERE.

> > > My partner/proof reader/wife also doesn't like the unknown
> > > factor of it all.  No matter how many times it works, if she
> > > cannot see it, she doesn't believe it.

> > > David

> printing"

Mon, 03 Nov 2003 03:46:49 GMT
 Update fields in pg2 header of doc which may or may NOT end up w/pg2
David--

You may not need to print the document but you certainly need to save it. My
recommendation would be to capture the FileSave command (or you're already doing
so just add in the code below) and force the update of the second page header.
(You don't actually need to have a second page in the document--you can update it
and at such a time as someone adds enough text to the letter that it spills onto
another page, the header will already be updated.) Try something like this:

Sub FileSave
     With ActiveDocument
        .Sections(1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Fields.Update
        .Save
     End With
End Sub

Jon Sequeira

Quote:
> [...]

> > product over the telephone with pcANYWHERE.

> > My partner/proof reader/wife also doesn't like the unknown
> > factor of it all.  No matter how many times it works, if she
> > cannot see it, she doesn't believe it.

> > David

> > > Hi David,

> > > Before we get into a VBA solution, do you have "update fields at
printing"
> > > checked in your print options?

> > > --
> > > Charles Kenyon

> > > Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:
> > > http://www.addbalance.com/word

> > > Legal Users' Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented)
> > > http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide
> > >  --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> > > This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> > > and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn

.

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 02:54:09 GMT

1. May day, May day SOS Urgent

2. May day, May day SOS Urgent

3. Autogenerated update statement I think this may be a bug

4. Cumulative Update - May 2009

5. VBadminCode - May 1998 - Update

6. VBadminCode - May 1998 - Update

7. how to handle Multiple values for one field(may be innocense question but.:-)

8. May not be VBA, but I'm desperate

9. Using types in a different assembly given that the type may be used or not used

10. VBScript: Path not found - why, if I may ask

11. 242010 - FIX: The Data Form Wizard May Not Open an Access 2000 Database

12. Winsock control may not always work!