Access File On CDRom Drive
Author Message
 Access File On CDRom Drive

Hi all.

Is it possible to read an Access database that is on a CD drive?

I'm developing an application that will read an access database from
CD.  The database is built to be query only, I do not intend to try to
write back to it.

Nonetheless, the microsoft JET engine complains and puts up a message
box:
  "The Microsoft Jet Database engine cannot open the file
'z:\maryland.mdb'.  It is already opened exclusively by another user, or
you need permission to view its data."

The z: drive is my CD.

My application is written in C++ and uses a CDaoRecordSet (recset).

I call the open as follows....

    recSet.Open(dbOpenSnapshot, NULL, dbReadOnly|dbForwardOnly);

Are there other flags I need to specify to open the access database
readonly?

Thanks,
   Paul

Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:00:03 GMT
 Access File On CDRom Drive

Quote:

>Is it possible to read an Access database that is on a CD drive?

The trick is to include a zero byte .ldb file on the CD with the same
name as the MDB.  Although test this trick first using a CD-RW.   Also
a command line option such as /EXCL or /READ or somewhat similar.
also needs to be set.   There are also reports that this technique
doesn't work in A2002.

Tony
----
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.
http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm

Sat, 24 Jan 2004 11:43:07 GMT

1. ?Redirecting VB to read Help Files from new Cdrom Drive

2. Saving and accessing files from CDROM

3. Saving and accessing files from CDROM

4. finding cdrom drives

5. Detecting Drive Letter of CDROM and RAM

6. Determining the CDROM drive

7. Opening CDROM drives

8. Newbie Seeks Help - Finding the CDROM Drive

9. How to detect changing disk in CDROM drive?

10. Getting the cdrom -drive

11. CDROM Drive Letter

12. Detecting Cdrom Drives