Macro Warning question outlook 2000
Author Message
 Macro Warning question outlook 2000

I am working at home in the Internet Mail Only mode.

I publish a form with VBScript in the personal forms
library.

Is the warning "The form for this item has not been
registered in this folder or your company's forms library"
do to the fact that I am not attached to an exchange
server?

thanks

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:04:13 GMT
 Macro Warning question outlook 2000
Under what circumstances are you receiving that warning?

What type of form is it?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions

Quote:

> I am working at home in the Internet Mail Only mode.

> I publish a form with vbscript in the personal forms
> library.

> Is the warning "The form for this item has not been
> registered in this folder or your company's forms library"
> do to the fact that I am not attached to an exchange
> server?

> thanks

Fri, 12 Nov 2004 02:52:40 GMT
 Macro Warning question outlook 2000
I am sending a questionnaire to myself for testing as if I
were sending it to a user. When I open the form (which has
vbscript code) I am getting the warning. The point of
this, Sue, is it is not so bad to think that a user would
have to click the enable macro button because they only
have to do this one time but when I receive their answers
back I am using VBA procedures to process the returns into
an excel spreadsheet and have to click on the enable
button for each one of their returns which hypothetically
could be in the hundreds.

I have read all the articles in slipstick on the macro
message subject but believe I am not understanding an
important concept.

thanks

Quote:

Quote:
>> I am working at home in the Internet Mail Only mode.

>> I publish a form with vbscript in the personal forms
>> library.

>> Is the warning "The form for this item has not been
>> registered in this folder or your company's forms
library"
>> do to the fact that I am not attached to an exchange
>> server?

>> thanks

>.

Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:32:07 GMT
 Macro Warning question outlook 2000
You are right that an important concept is involved here -- one of the most critical in Outlook.

The survey item you have created has the entire form definition is embedded in the item (called a "one-off" form). Outlook correctly regards such items suspiciously, because they could potentially run harmful code. In versions of Outlook predating the Outlook Email Security Update, you get the symptom you describe -- a disable/enable macros warning. In later, secure versions of Outlook, the code on the form will not run at all ... period.

Therefore, the problem is a lot bigger than just the inconvenience of the macros popup in received items (which you could get around by processing them with CDO, not the Outlook model). The real issue is that you cannot guarantee that the form on your code will ever run when the user receives the message. The only reliable way to send a message based on a form that includes code is to have the form published on both ends -- not likely in your situation, I imagine. You might be better off using a web page or attaching a survey document to your message.

More on this subject at http://www.slipstick.com/dev/formpub.htm.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions
   at http://www.slipstick.com

Quote:

> I am sending a questionnaire to myself for testing as if I
> were sending it to a user. When I open the form (which has
> vbscript code) I am getting the warning. The point of
> this, Sue, is it is not so bad to think that a user would
> have to click the enable macro button because they only
> have to do this one time but when I receive their answers
> back I am using vba procedures to process the returns into
> an excel spreadsheet and have to click on the enable
> button for each one of their returns which hypothetically
> could be in the hundreds.

> I have read all the articles in slipstick on the macro
> message subject but believe I am not understanding an
> important concept.

> >> I am working at home in the Internet Mail Only mode.

> >> I publish a form with vbscript in the personal forms
> >> library.

> >> Is the warning "The form for this item has not been
> >> registered in this folder or your company's forms
> library"
> >> do to the fact that I am not attached to an exchange
> >> server?

Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:41:04 GMT
 Macro Warning question outlook 2000
Sue, you stated "The real issue is that you cannot
guarantee that the form on your code will ever run when
the user receives the message. The only reliable way to
send a message based on a form that includes code is to
have the form published on both ends -- not likely in your
situation, I imagine. You might be better off using a web
page or attaching a survey document to your message."

I assume if I were to do this at work then the security
would not be an issue but doing it at home there is no way
to send a survey form to someone, (by the way there isn't
an attachment but opens immediately to the survey
questions), and not have them open it up with the macro
message if there is vbscript attached and the same when I
receive the answers back from them?

thanks

Quote:

Quote:
>> I am sending a questionnaire to myself for testing as
if I
>> were sending it to a user. When I open the form (which
has
>> vbscript code) I am getting the warning. The point of
>> this, Sue, is it is not so bad to think that a user
would
>> have to click the enable macro button because they only
>> have to do this one time but when I receive their
answers
>> back I am using vba procedures to process the returns
into
>> an excel spreadsheet and have to click on the enable
>> button for each one of their returns which
hypothetically
>> could be in the hundreds.

>> I have read all the articles in slipstick on the macro
>> message subject but believe I am not understanding an
>> important concept.

>> library"

>.

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:01:49 GMT
 Macro Warning question outlook 2000
That's correct, assuming work is an Exchange environment, where you can publish a form in the Organizational Forms library where everyone can access it.

There is no analogous central forms library for someone you're sending to over the Internet. If you send the form definition embedded in the item, either they'll get the macro prompt or (more likely these days), the code behind the form will not run at all. That's why I suggested that an Outlook form is probably not the right solution, unless you can get all the recipients to publish your custom form locally to their Personal Forms library, all using the same form name.
--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
   Outlook and Exchange Solutions
   at http://www.slipstick.com

Quote:

> Sue, you stated "The real issue is that you cannot
> guarantee that the form on your code will ever run when
> the user receives the message. The only reliable way to
> send a message based on a form that includes code is to
> have the form published on both ends -- not likely in your
> situation, I imagine. You might be better off using a web
> page or attaching a survey document to your message."

> I assume if I were to do this at work then the security
> would not be an issue but doing it at home there is no way
> to send a survey form to someone, (by the way there isn't
> an attachment but opens immediately to the survey
> questions), and not have them open it up with the macro
> message if there is vbscript attached and the same when I
> receive the answers back from them?

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 08:00:26 GMT
 Macro Warning question outlook 2000
Sue, thanks for all the time you have spent on this
subject. That should take care of me for a while!!!!!
Quote:

Quote:
>> Sue, you stated "The real issue is that you cannot
>> guarantee that the form on your code will ever run when
>> the user receives the message. The only reliable way to
>> send a message based on a form that includes code is to
>> have the form published on both ends -- not likely in
your
>> situation, I imagine. You might be better off using a
web
>> page or attaching a survey document to your message."

>> I assume if I were to do this at work then the security
>> would not be an issue but doing it at home there is no
way
>> to send a survey form to someone, (by the way there
isn't
>> an attachment but opens immediately to the survey
>> questions), and not have them open it up with the macro
>> message if there is vbscript attached and the same when
>> receive the answers back from them?

>.

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:29:09 GMT

1. Outlook 2000 is now warning about my macro

2. Question regarding MAPI, MS Outlook 2000, and Outlook Express 6

3. Outlook Macro Warnings

4. How do you send Outlook 2000 email using WORD 97 VBA Macro

5. Running Outlook 2000 VB macros with high security.

6. URGENT! Running a macro in outlook 2000

7. VBA Macro in Outlook 2000

8. Help - Outlook 2000 crashes *sometimes* when running my VBA macro

9. Spell Check in Macro(VBA) In Outlook 2000

10. Macros in Outlook 2000

11. Outlook 2000 macro

12. HELP! Macros not abled in Outlook 2000