Appending a field to a linked table
Author Message
 Appending a field to a linked table

I'd like to write some code to look for a field in a
linked table and if it isn't found, add it.  I know how to
enumerate the fields in the table but I'm brain dead as to
how to add the field to the linked table.

Do I create a workspace object, open the database
containing the source of the linked table and append the
field?  Is there an easier way?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Bill Lugg

Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:52:53 GMT
 Appending a field to a linked table
Do you want to add a field to the definition of the table, or simply insert
a value in the field? Is the remote database where you have linked the table
an Access/Jet database or is it linked via ODBC and some other kind of
database?

You can't add a field, AFAIK, to a linked table.

You can open the remote database directly and add a field to the fields
collection of the table.

I'd only do that if the database has been distributed to remote users and
you can only send database code to modify it.

It is certainly a lot simpler if you can manually open the database, open
the table in design view, add the field, and set the properties. You can do
that if the database is on a LAN or WAN and you have proper permissions.

--
Larry Linson   http://www.ntpcug.org -- North Texas PC User Group
   http://members.tripod.com/ntaccess -- Access SIG

Quote:
> I'd like to write some code to look for a field in a
> linked table and if it isn't found, add it.  I know how to
> enumerate the fields in the table but I'm brain dead as to
> how to add the field to the linked table.

> Do I create a workspace object, open the database
> containing the source of the linked table and append the
> field?  Is there an easier way?

> Thanks for any help you can provide.
> Bill Lugg

Fri, 15 Apr 2005 14:01:48 GMT

1. VB3 appending a field to a table, then entering data into the new field

2. linking all fields in linked table?

3. Appending 3 linked tables

4. ADOX.Append Creates a Read-Only Linked Table to SQL Server 7.0

5. Automatically append a field to a table in Access (2000 or XP)

6. Append new fields into Table ?

7. Append fields to a table

8. Append Fields Using Table for Names

9. append fields to an existing table using DAO

10. Help with appending a field to a table

11. Appending an AutoIncrement field to an existing table

12. appending fields to a table