tab key behavior on a bound form
Author Message
 tab key behavior on a bound form

HI,

I have a form bound to a table, and open the form in ADD mode.  If I enter
something in one of the controls, and then tab often enough I will have
tabbed through all fields. If I tab again the program tries to sdave the
record.  How can I prevent this behavior, and only try to save when I hit a
save button on the form?

Thank you . . .Sean

Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:53:58 GMT
 tab key behavior on a bound form
The "Cycle" property, set to "current record" will make the tab from the
last control on the tab order set focus to the first control in the tab
order.  However, this won't nec. solve your problem, as other things can
also cause a record navigate (like page down) and other things besides a
record navigate can cause the form to try to save a dirty record (like
clicking in a sub-form).

In the long run it's easier if you don't try to "fight" Access.  Do all your
validation in the form's BeforeUpdate, and just let it save.  If for some
reason you really can't do this, then change your form's recordsource to
only show 1 record.

Jay

Quote:
> HI,

> I have a form bound to a table, and open the form in ADD mode.  If I enter
> something in one of the controls, and then tab often enough I will have
> tabbed through all fields. If I tab again the program tries to sdave the
> record.  How can I prevent this behavior, and only try to save when I hit
> save button on the form?

> Thank you . . .Sean

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:24:21 GMT
 tab key behavior on a bound form
You probably want to change the setting of the "Cycle" property of your form
from "All Record" to "Current Page" or "Current Record".
Using these settings, after hitting the tab on the last control on the
tab list, the focus goes back to the first control on the tab and the
from will keep showing the same record rather than move to the next one.
Quote:

> HI,

> I have a form bound to a table, and open the form in ADD mode.  If I enter
> something in one of the controls, and then tab often enough I will have
> tabbed through all fields. If I tab again the program tries to sdave the
> record.  How can I prevent this behavior, and only try to save when I hit a
> save button on the form?

> Thank you . . .Sean

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:52:53 GMT
 tab key behavior on a bound form
Thank you Luca   your suggestion was very timely .

Quote:
> You probably want to change the setting of the "Cycle" property of your
form
> from "All Record" to "Current Page" or "Current Record".
> Using these settings, after hitting the tab on the last control on the
> tab list, the focus goes back to the first control on the tab and the
> from will keep showing the same record rather than move to the next one.

Quote:
> > HI,

> > I have a form bound to a table, and open the form in ADD mode.  If I
enter
> > something in one of the controls, and then tab often enough I will have
> > tabbed through all fields. If I tab again the program tries to sdave the
> > record.  How can I prevent this behavior, and only try to save when I
hit a
> > save button on the form?

> > Thank you . . .Sean

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:27:50 GMT
 tab key behavior on a bound form
Thank you RJE not only for your 'cycle observation, but for your comments on
the use of the forms before Update event.

Quote:
> The "Cycle" property, set to "current record" will make the tab from the
> last control on the tab order set focus to the first control in the tab
> order.  However, this won't nec. solve your problem, as other things can
> also cause a record navigate (like page down) and other things besides a
> record navigate can cause the form to try to save a dirty record (like
> clicking in a sub-form).

> In the long run it's easier if you don't try to "fight" Access.  Do all
your
> validation in the form's BeforeUpdate, and just let it save.  If for some
> reason you really can't do this, then change your form's recordsource to
> only show 1 record.

> Jay

> > HI,

> > I have a form bound to a table, and open the form in ADD mode.  If I
enter
> > something in one of the controls, and then tab often enough I will have
> > tabbed through all fields. If I tab again the program tries to sdave the
> > record.  How can I prevent this behavior, and only try to save when I
hit
> > save button on the form?

> > Thank you . . .Sean

Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:30:27 GMT

1. Table Tab Key Behavior

2. How change function key TAB on key ENTER in VB form

3. Capturing Tab key and Shift-Tab key

4. Change key behavior for a form

5. Override Enter Key With Tab Key Behavior For Entire Form?

6. using SENDKEYS to invoke TAB key within Task form

7. How do I get the enter key to automatically tab to the next form field

8. Advancing to next form field with Enter key instead of Tab

9. Why does SS Tab trap key events before the form traps them

10. Trying to Use Enter Key as Tab to navigate between textboxes on a VB 6.0 form

11. Capturing the Tab key-press in a c++ ocx embedded in a vb form

12. See how to make ENTER key act as TAB for all TextBox in your Form