Uning Form Fields and the Track Changes feature in the same document
Author Message
 Uning Form Fields and the Track Changes feature in the same document

To anyone out there,

Bear with me because I am neither a programmer nor am I
sure about using the correct wording.  But here goes.

I have MS Word 2000, and noticed that you cannot use Form
Fields and the Track Changes feature in the same
locked/protected document.  To further complicate matter,
I also need to be able to update a Table of Contents in
the same document, and if possible use the hyperlinks in
the TOC, to be able to navigate to various parts of the
document.  I was wondering if it is possible to program
Word to give me any or all of these capabilities.

To put my requirements in a better prospective, my agency,
the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority
(Procurement Department) is in the process of creating
boilerplate documents for our Procurement staff.  Some of
these boilerplate documents can be quickly completed if we
place Form Fields in them.  Other boiler documents require
Procurement staff to type project specific (customized)
information into the boilerplate document, and then have
the information reviewed by someone else (i.e., to see
what information was altered in the boilerplate).

Someone told me that MS Word ME (or Form Templates) may
provide me with the capabilities I need.  Does any one
know where can I get further information about MS Word ME,
or provide and answer to my questions above?

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 02:48:48 GMT
 Uning Form Fields and the Track Changes feature in the same document
Hi L.,

Quote:
> I have MS Word 2000, and noticed that you cannot use Form
> Fields and the Track Changes feature in the same
> locked/protected document.  To further complicate matter,
> I also need to be able to update a Table of Contents in
> the same document, and if possible use the hyperlinks in
> the TOC, to be able to navigate to various parts of the
> document.  I was wondering if it is possible to program
> Word to give me any or all of these capabilities.

You'd need an alternative to form fields. I assume the main
reason for wnating to use formfields is being able to
quickly jump from item to item? Not the protection aspect?

In that case, you could use MACROBUTTON fields for the
"prompts". The user can press F11 to jump from one to the
next, or (double-)click with the mouse, then type in the
text.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.mvps.org/word
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:53:21 GMT

1. Comparing 2 documents in Word using track changes

2. Track Changes to a Field

3. Field for tracking changes to a task ?

4. Using Fields and the Trach Changes Feature

5. Problem when unprotecting a document with form field text fields

6. Tracking changes in a form

7. tracking changes on a form

8. Free online bug report / feature enhancement tracking

9. How to change contents of drop-down-fields in a lot of documents

10. URGENT: Error when assigning long strings to Form Fields in a protected Word document

11. Maitaining form field info when unprotecting and reprotecting a document

12. Flashing Documents with FORM Fields